set cpu/ franko's kernel

xyzlene

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
hey all,

just unlocked and rooted my gnex.

already put set cpu on it... any advice for main settings, performance, on demand, etc... looking for increase in speed, but better battery life... thanks!

in addition francos kernel is in the app store. if i were to download this app would it block upcoming ota's from verizon...???

If francos kernel will not prevent an verizon ota, what setting would you advise?

i like to be unlocked and rooted, but not romed... tried them too many times.. just not my thing

THANKS so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
hey all,

just unlocked and rooted my gnex.

already put set cpu on it... any advice for main settings, performance, on demand, etc... looking for increase in speed, but better battery life... thanks!

in addition francos kernel is in the app store. if i were to download this app would it block upcoming ota's from verizon...???

If francos kernel will not prevent an verizon ota, what setting would you advise?

i like to be unlocked and rooted, but not romed... tried them too many times.. just not my thing

THANKS so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a custom recovery (Clockwork Mod, TWRP), you can't take an OTA. Same with any other custom image--may it be kernel, system, whatever. The only way you can take an OTA if you're unlocked/rooted is if you have no custom "software"--kernel, bootloader, system, recovery, whatever. It all must be stock.

If you want the OTA, simply wait for it to start rolling and roll back to stock. Or, wait for the flashable zip that we will have for you :).

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If you have a custom recovery (Clockwork Mod, TWRP), you can't take an OTA. Same with any other custom image--may it be kernel, system, whatever. The only way you can take an OTA if you're unlocked/rooted is if you have no custom "software"--kernel, bootloader, system, recovery, whatever. It all must be stock.

If you want the OTA, simply wait for it to start rolling and roll back to stock. Or, wait for the flashable zip that we will have for you :).

I beleive that there is a link here in the rooting/rom section to a pure AOSP build of JB for the Verizon Nexus. I know you said custom ROMs arent your thing, but I personally wouldnt consider pure AOSP a custom rom :p

If not, yeah someone will post the update from verizon when it comes, you can count on that.

Reactions: xyzlene

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I beleive that there is a link here in the rooting/rom section to a pure AOSP build of JB for the Verizon Nexus. I know you said custom ROMs arent your thing, but I personally wouldnt consider pure AOSP a custom rom :p

If not, yeah someone will post the update from verizon when it comes, you can count on that.

I presume you meant the OP, because saying ROMs aren't my thing is a bit..."off" lol

xyzlene

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
thanks guys,

will just stay rooted with recovery... then zip!

enjoy. love to block advertisements. lol

btw... set cpu, or something else. opinions?

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
OP I'm not calling you a liar but please try at least one stable custom JB rom such as AOKP, Euroskank/CM10, CNA, JBSourcery, etc.on your nexus and then tell me it really wasn't your thing. I'll give myself 10 lashes and you can go back to stock or stockish in a few minutes:D I once thought as you did but I will never take an OTA (on a nexus) again. Never.

Crossfire503

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Even without trying a ROM with major tweaks, I would suggest something really solid and stable like Bugless Beast. Works great, has a few nice extras that round out basic functionality, but is essentially stock JB. Really worth it if you're a fan of the stock experience and have gone so far as to root and try an alternate kernel. And, as mentioned, if you want that carrier experience, it's a guaranteed download after it's officially released. Heck, there's already of a zip of the test version. Nandroid backups mean that you can always flash back to what you liked and what worked best, whether that's carrier, a mostly stock custom ROM, or something all tweaked out like AOKP, CM10, etc.