Setting the "root and tether" record straight.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
For those of you still concerned that Verizon knows you're tethering when you are rooted, stop worrying. I've had my GNex rooted for 2 months and have heavily tethered during that time. My bill has not changed, I have not been throttled, and I've received no calls/letters from Verizon.

I hope this helps set the hesitant minds at ease!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, unfortunately, your example is anecdotal and not empirical so I would recommend treading carefully when heading down this road.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Didn't they lose a court case regarding tethering? I know Sprint's policy = not allowed unless you use a 3rd party app.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
VZW doesn't care about you rooting until it's time to deal with a support issue of some kind.

And don't think that because they haven't done anything about you tethering that that means they don't know about it or at least can't find out about it.

It's a numbers game. Like any network when you try to manage BW usage you go for the big offenders first. So either you don't rank high enough to get on their radar or they have that much BW overhead that they don't care at all about tethers right now.

Or, my theory, they aren't policing it right now for PR reasons since ATT just started doing that and got pooped on in every tech media outlet for it.

And the ruling about the tethering never said you COULD tether. It said VZW couldn't make Google block tethering apps from the Play Store.

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm with digitalslacker on this one. This philosophy is also why VZW isn't on the bleeding edge of updates even with its Nexus. Why cave to a very small (albeit very vocal) audience when you run the risk of alienating everyone else with a poorly deployed update?

I've been with VZW for years, and prior to Android phones I had the BB Storm and BB Storm 2. Back then, Verizon DID push out updates much more rapidly, almost as knee jerk reactions to issues as they manifested. Often times, they made things worse, and when that happened, nobody blamed RIM..they all blamed Big Red.

Anyway,my point is it behooves VZW to approach network management in a utilitarian manner.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm with digitalslacker on this one. This philosophy is also why VZW isn't on the bleeding edge of updates even with its Nexus. Why cave to a very small (albeit very vocal) audience when you run the risk of alienating everyone else with a poorly deployed update?

I've been with VZW for years, and prior to Android phones I had the BB Storm and BB Storm 2. Back then, Verizon DID push out updates much more rapidly, almost as knee jerk reactions to issues as they manifested. Often times, they made things worse, and when that happened, nobody blamed RIM..they all blamed Big Red.

Anyway,my point is it behooves VZW to approach network management in a utilitarian manner.

yup! Many of us love to hate VZW for being slow or controlling or whatever. Bottom line is they have what is generally considered to be the most robust and largest network in the country. You don't get that distinction by being lucky. They work at it. One things they do is test updates. They also monitor EVERYTHING on their network, like any company with networking as the core of their business model would do. Just like your IT dept at work knows when you are streaming music and tells you to stop, they know when you are doing something you arent supposed to be doing. They just hasn't said anything, yet...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

dvd8man

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I rooted and installed superuser and WiFi Tether for Root Users. Are there any special setting I need to change before I turn on my tether? I don't want to be charged.

Thank you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance