CM10 Jellybro vs. BB

familia5az

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Before I take plunge let me say I'm happy with BB. I hear a lot about CM10 Jellybro. Have a lot of users went from BB to CM10 and wondered why they didnt switch a long time ago?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Its the difference between running a mostly stock ROM, versus something that will show you what solid development can do with Android.

Just try it out... and while at it, I would say try AOKP as well. Just make a nandroid of your current ROM, then wipe and flash something new. You can check out the options available in the settings and see if you are impressed enough to stick with it, at which point you can follow through setting it up and restoring your old apps, etc. If you aren't impressed, simply restore your nandroid. No harm, no foul, and its a nice quick way to experiment without having to lose your current setup if you don't want to :)

Also a lot of people tend to stick with stock type ROMs because they assume they won't like the customizations in other ROMs... but you should remember that just about all customized ROMs such as CM10 or AOKP are going to look and feel like stock until you choose to go into the ROM settings and play around. Definitely try it out, you are probably missing out on some cool stuff you don't even know about :)

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Before I take plunge let me say I'm happy with BB. I hear a lot about CM10 Jellybro. Have a lot of users went from BB to CM10 and wondered why they didnt switch a long time ago?

I obviously can't tell you why some people switched, nor would I venture to say that one is better or worse than another, they are different enough that you can't really pit them against each other. It depends on what you are looking for in your ROM.

CM10 based ROMs, like JellyBro, tend to be way more feature rich. You can get pretty granular and very deep with your configuration and tweaks.

AOSP based ROMs, like Bugless Beast, are much closer to how Google envisioned Android and that's a selling point for some.

Personally, I'm not a fan of CM but not because it's bad or anything. I just don't care about the features and don't want my settings menus bloated up with stuff that doesn't matter to me. I also don't like some of their versions of the google apps (not Gapps) like the music player. But again, just preference, doesn't mean any of them are bad. AOSP based ROMs also tend to update faster. CM10 released recently but there was a JB version of Bugless out within a week of it hitting AOSP back in july? june? Some people probably wanted the features in CM10, but settled for BB because it was JB and they wanted that more. Now that CM10 has come out those folks moved to CM10.

Just my thoughts though.

familia5az

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Sir,

Do I need to just wipe data, dalvick and cache? Or do I need to format also in recovery? After I wipe I will flash ROM, flash gapps, and I'm good? Thanks again!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Sir,

Do I need to just wipe data, dalvick and cache? Or do I need to format also in recovery? After I wipe I will flash ROM, flash gapps, and I'm good? Thanks again!

Moving from one ROM to a different ROM, in recovery:
1. Wipe cache and dalvik cache.
2. Make a backup!!!
3. Wipe data/factory reset
4. Wipe/format /system.
5. Flash ROM
6. Flash Gapps
7. Reboot. Enjoy!

Also check my TiBu guide for nice instructions on how to make your new setup go smoothly using TiBu to restore your apps :)

familia5az

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Will formating system in recovery keep my backups on SD card? I know there is an option to format SD card but just wanted to make sure my nandroid won't be deleted when formatting system. Thx guys.

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Will formating system in recovery keep my backups on SD card? I know there is an option to format SD card but just wanted to make sure my nandroid won't be deleted when formatting system. Thx guys.

Once you make the nandroid backup in recovery, it automatically saves to the SD card and will not be wiped or deleted unless a) you manually delete it using a file program, or b) you lock and unlock the bootloader again.

The format system in recovery is there to help "receive" a new ROM by, well, formatting the system. That's why I usually make the nandroid before it. I'm not sure of the exact details, but be assured it won't mess up the nandroid you make if you do it after making it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Once you make the nandroid backup in recovery, it automatically saves to the SD card and will not be wiped or deleted unless a) you manually delete it using a file program, or b) you lock and unlock the bootloader again.

The format system in recovery is there to help "receive" a new ROM by, well, formatting the system. That's why I usually make the nandroid before it. I'm not sure of the exact details, but be assured it won't mess up the nandroid you make if you do it after making it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

To add to this
/system is where the OS lives, as stringer suggested. When you 'install' or 'flash' a ROM you are effectively unzipping the zip file and pushing or copying the files into a given partition. The suggestion to format /system first ensures that there is nothing on that partition from previous ROMs that isn't in the new one that could mess with things or take up unnecessary space.

For example, if you were running CM10, which we all know has a ton of stuff in it feature wise that isn't in say an AOSP based ROM. Then you decide to move over to an AOSP based ROM, you'll effectively leave behind any files in the /system partition that don't exist in the new ROM.

Works the same way on a computer...if you copy 10 files from 1 folder, and 10 from other you have 20 files. If 5 of those are the same from both locations you'd have 15, 5 that got overwritten and 10 more that were unique from the two folders.

Most of the time not wiping /system isn't a huge deal but over time if you don't, you'll chew up space on your /system partition as more and more files get orphaned and never removed.

At least that's how it was explained to me :)

But yeah, nandroids are stored on the CWM folder on your SD card. So long as you don't manually delete the clockworkmod (not sure where TWRP stores it) folder or relock/unlock the phone you should be good. There's also a blobs folder in there too. That's a differential app backup folder. Don't mess with that one. If you remove it, you're app backups will be rendered useless. The theory behind it is that if you have 4 backups...and 20 of the apps between them are the same, to save space, CWM only backups up one version of the app (not it's data) in the blobs folder that's shared by all the backups. This reduces the speed and space of the backups.

hope that helps!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
To add to this
/system is where the OS lives, as stringer suggested. When you 'install' or 'flash' a ROM you are effectively unzipping the zip file and pushing or copying the files into a given partition. The suggestion to format /system first ensures that there is nothing on that partition from previous ROMs that isn't in the new one that could mess with things or take up unnecessary space.

For example, if you were running CM10, which we all know has a ton of stuff in it feature wise that isn't in say an AOSP based ROM. Then you decide to move over to an AOSP based ROM, you'll effectively leave behind any files in the /system partition that don't exist in the new ROM.

Works the same way on a computer...if you copy 10 files from 1 folder, and 10 from other you have 20 files. If 5 of those are the same from both locations you'd have 15, 5 that got overwritten and 10 more that were unique from the two folders.

Most of the time not wiping /system isn't a huge deal but over time if you don't, you'll chew up space on your /system partition as more and more files get orphaned and never removed.

At least that's how it was explained to me :)

But yeah, nandroids are stored on the CWM folder on your SD card. So long as you don't manually delete the clockworkmod (not sure where TWRP stores it) folder or relock/unlock the phone you should be good. There's also a blobs folder in there too. That's a differential app backup folder. Don't mess with that one. If you remove it, you're app backups will be rendered useless. The theory behind it is that if you have 4 backups...and 20 of the apps between them are the same, to save space, CWM only backups up one version of the app (not it's data) in the blobs folder that's shared by all the backups. This reduces the speed and space of the backups.

hope that helps!

FWIW, a /system wipe beforehand is good, even great habitual flashing practice. However, most roms, particularly CM10, automatically wipe system in the updater script, so there's a small/slim chance of anything bad happening on that partition. Still, do it anyway, because wiping is cool :).

familia5az

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I did all the proper wiping. However, when I go into settings on newest build, lock settings, and check box that allows me to enter pin and it unlocks without hitting ok. I get the CM blue circle when I try to see how it works when turning on screen via power button. it stays that way for many minutes and i just go back into recovery and restore. Any ideas?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I have been running Bugless for the past 3 days. Though I have tried many ROMs, this was my first time on BB. I had been running EuroSkank before it. Bugless is supposed to be more of pure Google experience, providing little to no customizations, but focusing on performance improvements. If it did that, I'd be a dedicated fan for life, as I'm all about performance. Unfortunately, for me and my phone, it was very stable but not noticeably (in any way) faster/quicker/smoother than Euro. I actually feel like Euro is smoother as you scroll through home screens.

liquid150

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I did all the proper wiping. However, when I go into settings on newest build, lock settings, and check box that allows me to enter pin and it unlocks without hitting ok. I get the CM blue circle when I try to see how it works when turning on screen via power button. it stays that way for many minutes and i just go back into recovery and restore. Any ideas?

I would say try another clean install.

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused about the "system wipe". I have clockworkmod recovery v6.0.1.0 and there's no option to wipe system. I have wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition. Nothing refers to system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz