Am lost, please give details - recovery, ROM, Gapps, kernel, etc

Froojr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've unlocked the bootloader and rooted. I have a Superuser app. I used Paul O'Brien's Superboot. Now I'm lost. I've tried ROM Manager three times and every time, it freezes when trying to flash CWM. I get a popup saying ROM Manager is not responding. What does a battery pull do more than turning off my phone and then rebooting? Do I need to pull the battery and then reboot after rooting to get CWM to flash?

There are too many guides in these forums with too many steps, many different routes, and no given answers, meaning the author assumes that I, and everyone else, knows the small steps that they don't list. I need a detailed step-by-step guide, in other words, I need someone to hold my hand. I have never done any unlocking or rooting until today, and now I can't flash CWM. Is CWM not good, or buggy, now? Should I use a different app or method?

I want to do a nandroid. I want to flash a new ROM, CM10. I want the required Gapps, where do I find the package of them that works with the new CM10 M1 nightly? I want to flash the new VZW radios. I want to flash the Trinity kernel. Most of all, I want to do all of this manually so I can learn how it's done and then can do it again in the future with new releases/builds.

Can some of you experienced devs, hacks, and tinkerers please help me with this? The absolute last thing I want to do is brick my brand new toro Gnex.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've unlocked the bootloader and rooted. I have a Superuser app. I used Paul O'Brien's Superboot. Now I'm lost. I've tried ROM Manager three times and every time, it freezes when trying to flash CWM. I get a popup saying ROM Manager is not responding. What does a battery pull do more than turning off my phone and then rebooting? Do I need to pull the battery and then reboot after rooting to get CWM to flash?

There are too many guides in these forums with too many steps, many different routes, and no given answers, meaning the author assumes that I, and everyone else, knows the small steps that they don't list. I need a detailed step-by-step guide, in other words, I need someone to hold my hand. I have never done any unlocking or rooting until today, and now I can't flash CWM. Is CWM not good, or buggy, now? Should I use a different app or method?

I want to do a nandroid. I want to flash a new ROM, CM10. I want the required Gapps, where do I find the package of them that works with the new CM10 M1 nightly? I want to flash the new VZW radios. I want to flash the Trinity kernel. Most of all, I want to do all of this manually so I can learn how it's done and then can do it again in the future with new releases/builds.

Can some of you experienced devs, hacks, and tinkerers please help me with this? The absolute last thing I want to do is brick my brand new toro Gnex.

Read my Don't Panic guide. Once read, post in here with any remaining questions. A step by step guide is superfluous, to a degree. There are general steps and there and general concepts. Don't Panic gives you those.

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's very difficult to brick a Nexus device. You would have to deliberately try to do it for the most part.

The reason why there are many guides is because there are many methods to accomplish the same task. Personally, I prefer TWRP over CWM for my recovery, so I am not as familiar with using ROM Manager to flash my recovery. I like to use fastboot to flash it on my own.

Now, it sounds like you are most of the way there. Give us some more information on what guide in particular you were following to get where you currently are and we can help you pick it up from there.

Edit: beaten to the punch ^

Froojr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I used a guide on an external site that is exactly the same as dmmarck's How to Unlock and Root guide in the stickies except it also said something about installing a PdaNet driver, updating Superuser, and flashing BusyBox Installer, which I did.

Thanks, guys. I'll read the Don't Panic guide now, and post back in here any questions.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
We'll get you to where you need to be. Trust me. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Froojr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
What apps need to be paid apps, like ROM Manager or Titanium Backup? I see that Root Explorer doesn't have a free app

I've installed ASTRO File Manager. Is that one okay, or will I need Root Explorer?

What is TWRP? Where can I find that? Searching the Play Store for twrp gives nothing with that name. I assume it's an acronym meaning something like Titanium W??? Recovery Program. Am I close?

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
ROM Manager is not required for flashing. Completely optional.

Titanium Backup is not required either. It just makes things easier if you flash a lot of different ROMs. It'll get you setup much faster.

I use Root Explorer, but Astro should be fine as well.

TWRP = TeamWin Recovery Project. It can be found here.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
What apps need to be paid apps, like ROM Manager or Titanium Backup? I see that Root Explorer doesn't have a free app

I've installed ASTRO File Manager. Is that one okay, or will I need Root Explorer?

What is TWRP? Where can I find that? Searching the Play Store for twrp gives nothing with that name. I assume it's an acronym meaning something like Titanium W??? Recovery Program. Am I close?

ASTRO wont let you access the ROOT storage while Root Explorer will. You can get away with it, but its recommended to get Root Explorer.

TWRP is a Team Win Recovery Project. Its a recovery that you flash, like CWM and is used to flash ROMs, kernels, perform backups/restores etc.

You don't need ROM Manager and you will be better off without it, and Titanium Backup is not necessary but might make your life a lot easier when flashing because you can backup all your apps so that you can easily restore them when you are back up and running incase market restore does not work properly.

For rooting, the only apps that I would recommend that you buy are Root Explorer and Titanium Backup. Aside from those 2, nothing is necessary.

Froojr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so the first thing I need is a recovery. ROM Manager/CWM hasn't worked so far, as ROM Manager freezes every time I flash CWM. What to do?

Also, since I just spent a few hundred bucks on the phone, Root Explorer and TiBu will have to wait a couple weeks. So, am I screwed for ROMs and the like for now until I can pay for those two paid apps?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so the first thing I need is a recovery. ROM Manager/CWM hasn't worked so far, as ROM Manager freezes every time I flash CWM. What to do?

Also, since I just spent a few hundred bucks on the phone, Root Explorer and TiBu will have to wait a couple weeks. So, am I screwed for ROMs and the like for now until I can pay for those two paid apps?

Use TWRP instead of CWM... the Goomanager app functions like ROM Manager, and will flash TWRP for you if you need.

And no you can make do without paying for those right now. TiBu works fine without the paid upgrade, you just miss out on a few features, I don't know which specifically. And there are other, free, file explorers you can use like ES file explorer or even the one built into jrummy's ROM Toolbox, I believe.

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you were somewhat following dmmarck's unlock/root sticky at the top of this forum, you can also flash recovery using fastboot. The second post in that thread details flashing custom recovery (though he mentions CWM). If you download TWRP from the link I posted above, you can basically follow those exact instructions but replace "recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img" with the TWRP filename (should be "openrecovery-twrp-2.2.0-toro.img" I believe).

Froojr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I installed Goomanager. I flashed the recovery img. I haven't rebooted the phone yet. I click Reboot recovery in Goomanager and click Yes to the popup, and the phone does absolutely nothing. It just sits there with the app open like it was before I clicked Reboot recovery. This kind of stuff is what's so frustrating.

Reading a thread in this forum about using GooManager, it says something about flashing a ROM already on SDcard. There is no SDcard slot in this phone. So... huh?

Edit: Goomanager has been denied superuser. Phone is rooted, or at least I think it is. Is there some permission or whatever that needs changed, and how to do that?

Last edited:

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
KISS!!!

You don't NEED all of that stuff. All that you NEED to do is pick a guide that will unlock/root your phone and flash CWM recovery to it.

Now you can download the ROM you want to try to your phone. Boot the phone into recovery (use three finger method for CWM). Follow ROM install instructions. Reboot and enjoy. If you want to try something else, repeat these basic steps. You will loose a few settings but most ROMs auto restore your apps for you. If you are flashing a newer version of the same ROM you can dirty flash it (by not wiping user data) and your settings will remain.

Don't get bogged down trying to learn everything at once. Once you have the basics down, then you can start playing with the other crap (something I haven't bothered with myself.)

Froojr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
First things first. I've explained my actions and what the phone is doing or not doing. Right now, I just want to get TWRP on here, make a nandroid, and flash a ROM. TWRP is on the phone, according to GooManager. It was denied superuser, and I have no idea why or how to give it permission. Flashing a ROM can wait a bit.

Froojr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
It should prompt you when opening goomanager. Alternatively, you can open the superuser application and manually grant root permission.

How? Nothing I see in the app lets me do anything but toggle permission of the Superuser app itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Did fastboot, went to restart recovery, droid on its back with a red exclamation point. Phone rebooted, and is acting normal. I should just give up, shouldn't I?

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
How? Nothing I see in the app lets me do anything but toggle permission of the Superuser app itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Did fastboot, went to restart recovery, droid on its back with a red exclamation point. I should just give up, shouldn't I?

You didn't quit the first time you fell off the bike did you? Lol :)

Open your superuser app and clear the entry/permission for goomanager from it. Sounds like you don't have the appropriate permissions.

Alternatively if you were unable to fastboot it you probably just entered the wrong command:
fastboot boot recovery nameofrecovery.img

It should be what I wrote above. You cannot flash the recovery permanently until you use your root access and a file explorer to get rid of the recovery-from-boot.p file in your /system folder.

This might all sound overwhelming but it's simple, and we'll walk you through it. Don't give up :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Try deleting the entry in that first screen. That should reprompt it. Or download SuperSU from the Play Store.

Froojr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
You didn't quit the first time you fell off the bike did you? Lol :)

Open your superuser app and clear the entry/permission for goomanager from it. Sounds like you don't have the appropriate permissions.

Alternatively if you were unable to fastboot it you probably just entered the wrong command:
fastboot boot recovery nameofrecovery.img

It should be what I wrote above. You cannot flash the recovery permanently until you use your root access and a file explorer to get rid of the recovery-from-boot.p file in your /system folder.

This might all sound overwhelming but it's simple, and we'll walk you through it. Don't give up :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

What you said there is mind-blowing. I have to do what in Superuser, and how is that done?

I have to delete what file for permanent recovery, and how, and... is this the easiest way, with 10 steps for each thing and no way to know how to do any of them?

- - - Updated - - -

Try deleting the entry in that first screen. That should reprompt it. Or download SuperSU from the Play Store.

Superuser has nothing on the first screen, opening it shows a circle spinning at the top in the menu bar, which has been spinning for at least 5 minutes straight. By the way, Superuser was updated today, to v. 1.3.3, if I remember correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

Installed and opened SuperSU, said binary needed updated, I let it update, and it said update failed. Is this how this always works, with errors and failures?

- - - Updated - - -

What do I do to restart from scratch, like how the phone was when I took it out of the box?

Froojr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Hm, I think I knoiw what's wrong. After rooting, I was sick of always being bugged about the OTA, so I installed it. Now I'm on ICS 4.0.4. I need to do the Rooting the 4.0.4 update part at the end of dmmarck's rooting guide, don't I?

What I don't know is if I have TWRP on the ohone, if I have no recovery, or what to even do once I can get into recovery. The last part of his guide that I mentioned says to download su.zip to my internal storage, so that's to the phone? But then it says something about SDK/Tools or a Platform-Tools folder. Is this on the phone, and I'd need to use a file manager to get there, or is that the same as the root folder I made and used for Superboot?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante