Is underclocking a CPU even warranted anymore?

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
When I had my Eris this was a great way to save battery life and it proved a huge improvement on my Incredible 2. However as dual-core processors become more battery efficient and Android gets smarter is this even that necessary anymore?

Jubakuba

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I used to be adamant about underclocking.
Randomly stopped doing it...haven't noticed even the slightest change.

Been months now since I last under clocked.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
When I had my Eris this was a great way to save battery life and it proved a huge improvement on my Incredible 2. However as dual-core processors become more battery efficient and Android gets smarter is this even that necessary anymore?
Not with all the screen off applicabilities, I have mine set at a low cpu when screen off (350Mhz) and then there's this "DEEP SLEEP" deal when your not using your phone at all. Enjoy YOur Phone!! Forget about the battery, just plug it in when you need to. (Every night)

HurrrDurrrDURP

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
From what I noticed the GPU is the power eater. Watching a HD movie using MXplayer with full GPU rendering KILLS the battery, using the CPU actually boosted the battery time(ARMv7 NEON codec).

So unless you game hard core, the system will do fine governing the CPU to save your battery. My nexus lasts a day and a half using bugless beast using stock CPU settings. :)

And just like JkdJedi said, enjoy the phone, if you really need to buy another battery.

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
If I could just plug my phone in at night, that would be awesome.. I have charged back to 100% mid day with moderate use.. Heavy use I can use 3 cycles.. I don't even think my phone would last 24 hours in my pocket with the screen off the whole time.. and my phone is getting good deep sleep.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I find the HTC One X Tegra 3 is almost ~instantly~ cooler to the touch with underclocking from ~1.3ghz to <1ghz... Also could be because of TricksterMod on TrickDroid ROM 4.1 on "Interactive" setting. Screen-on battery life seems to be much better too.

Juice Defender is awesome too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie