Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default When will we get 4.2?

What's the news on when a 4.2 stock ROM will make its way to us? Anyone working? Anything out?

Carrier
    AOKP

Default Re: When will we get 4.2?

It's not even in AOSP yet. When it is, devs will merge their ROMs up to it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

First developer that has 4.2 ready gets my install.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Any ideas when AOSP will be out and everything?

Quote Originally Posted by j.glik14 View Post
    Any ideas when AOSP will be out and everything?

I think they said a few weeks after the devices land in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    I think they said a few weeks after the devices land in the market.
    You never know...I think I remember ICS getting turned loose a week or two before it came out with the GN release. You can bet the developers are as anxious to work it into their ROMs as we are to have it.

I'm not in any hurry to lose flash player.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I'm not in any hurry to lose flash player.
    Forgive my 4.2 ignorance, but does flash not work on 4.2...not even when using 3rd party browsers?

flash is dying a slow but steady death. To be honest, i didn't even think it worked on 4.1 and i haven't missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer033 View Post
    flash is dying a slow but steady death. To be honest, i didn't even think it worked on 4.1 and i haven't missed it.
    Sounds like what Google wants us to think. I'm very frequently on sites that run flash. I'd guess we have many years ahead of us with flash be prevalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer033 View Post
    I kinda hate that Flash doesn't work on 4.1+. I mean, I know it's supposedly on its way out, but there's still a handful of Flash-centric sites I frequent, and I used to be able to access them on my tablet. Now, though, being on a 4.1 ROM, even with having Flash sideloaded, Flash stuff doesn't work on Chrome at all (obviously), and any other browsers just freeze up and/ or force close. Sometimes if I'm lucky, I can get a Flash site to work on the stock Browser app, but it usually freezes/ FCs the Browser for at least the first few attempts before it finally works.

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

Agreed. I love flash as well, I know it's dying, but I think it was pre-mature to take it away.. there have been several times I wish I had it.

Flash works just fine on my 4.1.2 install of CNA. Is it the thinking that flash won't work on 4.2? Is that because the browser is Chrome?

If that's the case then 4.2 is a non-starter for me. I follow sites that use flash. All of the D1 college athletic sites use flash for GameTracker.

If it's a Chrome issue, are there any other browsers that will work with Flash?

Global Posts
    699 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kang/CM10

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    Flash works just fine on my 4.1.2 install of CNA. Is it the thinking that flash won't work on 4.2? Is that because the browser is Chrome?

If that's the case then 4.2 is a non-starter for me. I follow sites that use flash. All of the D1 college athletic sites use flash for GameTracker.

If it's a Chrome issue, are there any other browsers that will work with Flash?
    Chrome for Android doesn't support flash. You could just download Sporting news or ESPN score center and set an alert there if you want to watch a team.

Quote Originally Posted by SeigaGen View Post
    Chrome for Android doesn't support flash. You could just download Sporting news or ESPN score center and set an alert there if you want to watch a team.
    Thanks for the ideas but that doesn't help. I'm a big fan of D1 college softball (my daughter played), and that's only on GameTracker. But that's not the only site that uses Flash, there are literally millions of sites that do. On my tablet I use Chrome as my default browser but at least once a day I need to open the supplied browser to see a site that is using flash. No matter how hard Apple and Google want to push Flash out it just isn't going away. It's the equivalent of Netflix trying to stop mailing DVDs. They were trying to force their will. We all see how well that went.

My question is this: Chrome is not the default browser in 4.1.2 so Flash works. Is Chrome the default browser on 4.2 now? If so, what other browsers use Flash?

Carrier
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    Thanks for the ideas but that doesn't help. I'm a big fan of D1 college softball (my daughter played), and that's only on GameTracker. But that's not the only site that uses Flash, there are literally millions of sites that do. On my tablet I use Chrome as my default browser but at least once a day I need to open the supplied browser to see a site that is using flash. No matter how hard Apple and Google want to push Flash out it just isn't going away. It's the equivalent of Netflix trying to stop mailing DVDs. They were trying to force their will. We all see how well that went.

My question is this: Chrome is not the default browser in 4.1.2 so Flash works. Is Chrome the default browser on 4.2 now? If so, what other browsers use Flash?
    2 thoughts:
    1. Flash is on its way out, adobe is cutting support gradually but it will be up to a lot of sites to upgrade and move away from it.. They can't force them to. But regardless it is absolutely going away, and over time the slacking sites will feel the pressure to adjust. Contacting the sites you use and their webmasters consistently can actually be a good idea and effective way of letting them know your concerns. They need to please and retain they're customers and will respond if enough noise is made.

2. Whether Chrome will be included/default in the 4.2 OTA is anybody's guess. The AOSP browser I believe is much better than Chrome and should be included in any Nexus OTA without question, but we know that hasn't been happening (see the Nexus 7, 4, and 10). So we'll just have to see if Google decides to replace it with Chrome only moving forward for all Nexus devices. As for other browsers that still support Flash, I'm not sure, but there is a sticky in the Nexus 7 section that I believe has some listed.

Carrier
    Latest OS + EX kernel

I know Dolphin HD and xScope Pro support flash, pretty sure Fire Fox does too.

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    I know Dolphin HD and xScope Pro support flash, pretty sure Fire Fox does too.
    Yes they do but they won't when we have jellybean right? Flash is still the dominant online video format and I fear it will be even after we've all replaced our razr maxx hd. Even though we still bave flash in opera it is very poor compared to the gingerbread flash player.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,829 Global Posts

Yes they do but they won't when we have jellybean right? Flash is still the dominant online video format and I fear it will be even after we've all replaced our razr maxx hd. Even though we still bave flash in opera it is very poor compared to the gingerbread flash player.
    HTML5 is already very prevalent in online video -- you just have to spend a few minutes to get the full experience. Many major online videos sites (YouTube, Vimeo, Flickr, TED, MSNBC, Dailymotion) support HTML5 video players, to various extents. You should also check out Longtail Video's page on HTML5 video support.

Don't be quick to dismiss any involvement in this from Adobe, either. Adobe has provided multiple tools and much encouragement for developers to move away from Flash entirely, and towards sites and applications powered as much as possible by HTML5. For those who want a little more detail on these tools, check out this and this. While these tools are primarily aimed towards projects more involved than simple video players, Adobe's dropping of flash support says a lot about their intentions toward HTML5 video.

Hulu has stated that they continue to monitor HTML5's video capabilities, and that there are a few technological limitations (stream security, adaptive bitrate streaming, etc.) that haven't quite been at the level they need when evaluating an HTML5 player. Netflix continues to monitor it as well, however they do use HTML5 video in a custom port of WebKit to enable smooth interfaces and playback on certain TV devices.

I just got the latest flash here

http://wccftech.com/download-and-ins...4-2-jellybean/
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by pmcd1962 View Post
    I just got the latest flash here

http://wccftech.com/download-and-ins...4-2-jellybean/
    But it is either jittery or voice out of sync with picture right?

Worked OK for me

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,829 Global Posts

Sometimes that can be caused by another Flash object on the same page, most likely a Flash advertisement running while you're trying to watch Flash video. If you're using Adblock, then that obviously isn't the issue, but it's worth mentioning.

I've yet to have a issue with flash running on aokp 4.1.2

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Have any dates for aosp being released been announced yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast