Locks up upon startup

Froojr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Running Euroskank JellyBro approximately 1104 and franco Milestone 6. Ran fine forever. I rebooted while charging and phone now gets to where the carrier signal is found (Verizon) and locks up, then reboots itself. Battery pull fixes nothing, still happens. Wipe cache and dalvik, still locks up upon startup.

I say locks up because that is exactly what happens. Am running a live wallpaper, it freezes movement and won't recognize touch gestures after a few seconds upon startup.

Phone is only two months old, has never been dropped or wet. Any ideas?

Edit: Oh yeah, when I rebooted while charging, when it rebooted and showed the Google screen, the phone beeped for about 10 seconds straight. Never done that before.

Last edited:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I ran into the same issue for a while. I know that I wiped the phone, and re-flashed the ROM, kernel, and radios I was running. I also purchased a new battery around the same time. While I can't say for certain which of the two solved my issue ? it was many months ago ? I would certainly recommend that you start with the former. Wipe cache and dalvik (data is not necessary), and re-flash the same ROM, kernel, and radios you're currently running.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say either the radios or kernel flash would help.

Unplug the phone, boot to recovery, and flash the three. When done, pull the battery and let it sit for a few minutes. Finally, turn the phone on as you would normally, still without plugging it in. After it boots, let it sit for a minute or two. Pay attention when it boots, and you should know whether or not the issue has been resolved. ;)

Edit: as for the beep, it's news to me. Strange. Never encountered that myself.

Froojr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I wiped system, cache, and dalvik. I flashed ROM, Gapps, and kernel. Phone started up and worked fine. Then I let it sit for about 15 minutes. Checked it again and it was still working like normal. Then I updated Ad Away to enable the ad blocking. Upon reboot, it locked up after finding the carrier signal. This is ridiculous. I need to be able to use my phone.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I wiped system, cache, and dalvik. I flashed ROM, Gapps, and kernel. Phone started up and worked fine. Then I let it sit for about 15 minutes. Checked it again and it was still working like normal. Then I updated Ad Away to enable the ad blocking. Upon reboot, it locked up after finding the carrier signal. This is ridiculous. I need to be able to use my phone.

That seems like it could easily be related -- Ad Away and similar applications modify the hosts file on your phone for ad blocking. It's possible that something you're running doesn't agree with one of the hosts entries. I'd say disable Ad Away and make sure the hosts file is unchanged, and try the phone for a while. Considering the problem is most often occurring once picking up a mobile network signal, I wouldn't be quick to dismiss the possibility.

Froojr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've used Ad Away since I rooted the phone two months ago. I've rebooted many times in the past and never had any issues. What is this hosts file you speak of, where is it, and how would I know if it had changed? Besides that, I have no plan to stop using an ad blocker. I use one on my desktop PC and see no reason not to use one on my phone. If it caused errors, I'd find a different one. I have enabled Ad Away again after reflashing yet again, and the phone is working fine, but I haven't, and won't, reboot it.

Out of everyone that has read this thread, has this ever happened to only Lumenii and me?

I'll just never reboot the phone until I figure out TiBu and make all of the backups that I need to make so that I don't lose my important data, and then I'll do a clean install of a new ROM. I'm lost and have no idea what would be causing this issue, nor how to rectify it. Man, this sucks.