Kernel...

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Nexus last night. Can I simply root then flash a different kernel without making any other changes?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
To add to this..

From my experience rooting and running custom ROMs and kernels over the last few years you should be able to unlock/root and flash a custom kernel while still maintaining the stock OS. However the benefits of the kernel may not be fully recognized because of the stock OS. Normally kernel developers take advantage of the custom features or tweaks developers do to their ROMs as they work together hand in hand.

But I see no real problems by running a custom kernel. You should be able to get some benefits from running it, like overclocking or underclocking the processor and some other under the hood tweaks.

As always rule of thumb, make a Nandroid backup in your custom recovery before you change anything so you have a working setup to return to in the event something goes wrong.

Worst case situation you can always pull the boot.img from the Nexus factory images and flash that using fastboot to replace the stock kernel if something doesn't work out with the custom kernel.

Paul
Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
To add to this..

From my experience rooting and running custom ROMs and kernels over the last few years you should be able to unlock/root and flash a custom kernel while still maintaining the stock OS. However the benefits of the kernel may not be fully recognized because of the stock OS. Normally kernel developers take advantage of the custom features or tweaks developers do to their ROMs as they work together hand in hand.

But I see no real problems by running a custom kernel. You should be able to get some benefits from running it, like overclocking or underclocking the processor and some other under the hood tweaks.

As always rule of thumb, make a Nandroid backup in your custom recovery before you change anything so you have a working setup to return to in the event something goes wrong.

Worst case situation you can always pull the boot.img from the Nexus factory images and flash that using fastboot to replace the stock kernel if something doesn't work out with the custom kernel.

Paul
Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.

Both lean kernel and Franco work with the vzw gnex correct?

Yes last time I ran my GNex months back both Franco and Lean kernel supported the Verizon GNex.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Just successfully unlocked the bootloader and rooted using WugFresh's toolkit. Now to get reacquainted with flashing. It's been a very long time since I rooted by DInc. :D

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Good luck.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
Thanks! I've now successfully flashed Cyanogenmod 10.2 (stable) with no issues. Setting everything up now. This is still a good phone 2 years later. Got my Note II in the tech drawer since I prefer the size of the G'Nex