Galaxy Nexus and Titanium Backup

willenium_1217

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Alright, so I am planning on getting the Galaxy Nexus when my contract is up. I am not on pins and needles but I remembered something this morning that made me nervous. I have the Samsung Fascinate and I backup all my apps and data with Titanium Backup and it backs it up to the SD card. But with the Galaxy Nexus not having a SD Card slot, how will I be able to move my apps and data to the Galaxy Nexus. Thanks!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
All you have to do is copy your Titanium directory (from your sd card) to your PC. Then plug your GN into your PC and copy that directory onto the GN hard drive. Then install Titanium and restore. This assumes you have rooted the GN.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
yeah but then you are paying Dropbox for 32gb of backup a month?
Problem I have is that no SD card means if I am in an area with no access to a pc and do a device wipe, all my data is gone.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
TB uses less then 1.5 gb and u can select what u want backed uped

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

fire n ice

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
No. A wipe does not touch your SD card, only your phone's onboard memory. If you want to be extra sure, just take out the SD card before you wipe.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Right,
What I am saying/ asking is if you have your device with all photos, etc. on it...and have to wipe it or you want to install a new rom, etc.,
wiping it would wipe everything else out as well.

Is there a second partition in the device that acts like an sd card in the fact that when you do a factory reset/ wipe that info won't be affected.

jhhoffma

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
In case the OP is still wondering, the "internal SD card" is kept separate from the onboard storage during a flash or wipe of the data/cache partitions. Any data kept on the "SD card" will remain intact.

However, if you haven't unlocked the bootloader yet, doing so WILL wipe all data on the device, in it's entirety: pics, movies, apps, everything.

So if you haven't unlocked the bootloader, you'll need to back them up beforehand. If you have and you'll just be wiping data/cache before installing, it'll still be there when you install a new ROM.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Right,
What I am saying/ asking is if you have your device with all photos, etc. on it...and have to wipe it or you want to install a new rom, etc.,
wiping it would wipe everything else out as well.

Is there a second partition in the device that acts like an sd card in the fact that when you do a factory reset/ wipe that info won't be affected.

The internal storage of the GNex acts exactly like an SD card, so it is not wiped when doing a factory reset or wiping data. Nothing in /sdcard/ will be touched unless you erase the internal storage.

And to answer the OP's issue, you can just put the TB files on the internal storage of the phone which is even mounted as /sdcard/ so it behaves exactly the same. But you do need a PC to transfer the files if you don't use DropBox.

albyone

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used a USB cable to transfer files in a long, long time. For the nerds among you, I personally use SSHDroid. This runs an SSH Server (when ever you start it)) on your phone, via WiFi. It tells you all the information you'll need to use on an SSH Client on your PC/Laptop. I use Ubuntu, so I use the File-Connect option in Nautilus, and voil?, you have access, in a File Explorer style app, of your Nexus file system, on your PC.

For Windows PC's use either SSHClient or PuTTY. Then, you just drag and drop at will.

I copied the entire 16Gb off my OG Droid onto my laptop, and then SSH'ed them over to my Nexus... no USB cable required!

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles