• 1 Post By jpprice
  • 3 Post By bbruin66
  • 1 Post By SpaceHippie
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Default Rezound vs Nexus ROM development

Hi everyone,

I had a Droid OG back when it first came out and loved how many ROMs eventually came out over the years. Right now I'm rocking the 'fruit' but I eagerly want to jump back into the Android world. I'm torn over buying the HTC Rezound or the Galaxy Nexus. My question to pose for this thread is this: Understanding the nature of the Nexus being a developer's device, would it be more prudent to wait for its release or could I possibly expect a diverse set of ROMs for the Rezound as well?

I tried the Thunderbolt out and I enjoyed the way Android has come but not enough to jump ship. Especially considering battery life / shutdown issues the device was prone to. Can any Rezound renters chirp in here? Has the Rezound improved over the Tbolt?

Any input you guys could give would be appreciated. I cant wait to rejoin the Android community.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybalt2011 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I had a Droid OG back when it first came out and loved how many ROMs eventually came out over the years. Right now I'm rocking the 'fruit' but I eagerly want to jump back into the Android world. I'm torn over buying the HTC Rezound or the Galaxy Nexus. My question to pose for this thread is this: Understanding the nature of the Nexus being a developer's device, would it be more prudent to wait for its release or could I possibly expect a diverse set of ROMs for the Rezound as well?

I tried the Thunderbolt out and I enjoyed the way Android has come but not enough to jump ship. Especially considering battery life / shutdown issues the device was prone to. Can any Rezound renters chirp in here? Has the Rezound improved over the Tbolt?

Any input you guys could give would be appreciated. I cant wait to rejoin the Android community.
    The rezound doesn't even have s-off yet after almost a month after being released. There will be NO development for it until that happens. Trust me when I say this: the Nexus is the device you want, unless you prefer a bloated, locked, bulky phone that probably won't see ICS for 6 months.

Meh
    Josh515 and bplewis24 like this.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Default Re: Rezound vs Nexus ROM development

Definitely go with the Nexus if you're looking for ROMs, especially if the Rezound's developer community is anything like the Thunderbolt's. I've seen more maturity in a daycare.

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts

Like others have said...it doesn't get any easier as far as development goes than the Nexus.
    Josh515 likes this.

Developer support? No question. Get the Nexus.

My reaction to seeing the Rezound.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P11Rl1i91U[/YT]
    smitty24, bplewis24 and sc4fpse like this.

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP or CM10

Quote Originally Posted by bbruin66 View Post
    My reaction to seeing the Rezound.
    OT - best show on TV
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

After rereading my question it seems like a silly one to ask. At this point I'm starting to bite at the bit for a release on this phone. I'm tempted to rent a Rezound but at this point it seems pointless to pay $35 when the Nexus could come out so soon.

Here's to hoping it does! And thanks for the responses.

ROM
    Vicious JB V3/ Franco

My wife's BlackBerry bit the dust today and I gave her my Charge. I rented a Rezound to use while I wait on the Nexus. It is a very nice phone. It has a good quality feel with a solid weight to it. My only gripe is the screen. I love the deep blacks of a samoled display and the Rezound just looks washed out to me. I'll have no problem turning this in for a Nexus.

Global Posts
    4,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

One of the biggest factors for me in getting the Nexus is the developer support for custom roms and further hacking. I am just so tired of the onslaught of devices and hoping I picked the right one that will get dev support. Pretty much any moto phone on Verizon is a crap shoot at best. HTC seem to not be as bad but pure Google, now that is the ticket.

I have been waiting for a pure Android phone on Verizon for a long time.
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

The Rezound is an amazing piece of hardware in itself. Easily the best phone ive ever had. It has bloat and the POS sense ui. But ive heard there will be a nice set of developers. Once s-Off is achieved ICS roms will appear. And you won't have to wait 6-8 months for the update. Plus im a big fan of the earbuds it came with.

the nexus will have ICS and ton of more developers but it kind of depends on what roms your into because if your like me and will only load CM9, then you don't need a boatload of developers.

But the Nexus selling point for me is its size. Im a little bothered by the build but it's overall a really good phone. and ICS is beautiful. You really can't go wrong because either way your gonna get ICS. Although don't let any rezound users tell you HTC will give you ICS. Your not getting the stock ICS. Your getting Sense 4.0. If you plan to root, it doesn't matter which phone you get, just pick your favorite hardware. If you don't, then go Nexus.

For a few days i considered a moto phone.......NO. lol
    471405 likes this.

ROM
    4.1 Jellybean

Quote Originally Posted by TitansJonne View Post
    The Rezound is an amazing piece of hardware in itself. Easily the best phone ive ever had. It has bloat and the POS sense ui. But ive heard there will be a nice set of developers. Once s-Off is achieved ICS roms will appear. And you won't have to wait 6-8 months for the update. Plus im a big fan of the earbuds it came with.

the nexus will have ICS and ton of more developers but it kind of depends on what roms your into because if your like me and will only load CM9, then you don't need a boatload of developers.

But the Nexus selling point for me is its size. Im a little bothered by the build but it's overall a really good phone. and ICS is beautiful. You really can't go wrong because either way your gonna get ICS. Although don't let any rezound users tell you HTC will give you ICS. Your not getting the stock ICS. Your getting Sense 4.0. If you plan to root, it doesn't matter which phone you get, just pick your favorite hardware. If you don't, then go Nexus.

For a few days i considered a moto phone.......NO. lol
    Couldnt agree with you more, i Had the Bionic once i played with the Galaxy Nexus i Bought one off contract, its an amazing phone with an amazing amount of potential. Using my Bionic as a paper weight/backup

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger42 View Post
    Couldnt agree with you more, i Had the Bionic once i played with the Galaxy Nexus i Bought one off contract, its an amazing phone with an amazing amount of potential. Using my Bionic as a paper weight/backup
    Just got $300 cash for my bionic the other day.. craigslist is my new best friend

Global Posts
    6,672 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I choose the Nexus over the Rezound since I knew it would have plenty of support from the Developers.I also wanted more of a pure google phone,custom roms ,etc. I dont think you could go wrong with the Nexus as it seems like you found out from the comments ,ha.

Someone did make a program to remove that bloatware tho I saw in the Rezound forums.If not for the Nexus then the Rezound was my second choice IF I followed tho with my upgrade.Actually my sister got a Rezound and is not into tweaking her phone at all and seems happy with it.

Just compare the development sections at rootz and xda...it's no contest.

Flashing stuff is fun.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    3.0.8-gaaa2611, unlocked

If you just want to pay and ride, take your pick of Android phones. I love them all with the exception of the slideout keyboard models. To many working parts that will ultimately fail / break.

If you plan to customize your phone, no question, the GNEX is the ONLY way to go. With the unlocked bootloader and superuser access the sky is the limit when it comes to development.

If you get the GNEX, get the Otterbox - no ifs, ands, or buts. I treat my phones like gold but there is something about the design of the phone. I don't know if its the slim design or what, but the phone will constantly find a way to jumble around in your hands. Especially if you have man-hands. My first GNEX hit the floor and cracked the screen. Asurion was my savior. Get the Otterbox.
    Nextel Flips > Motorola Slider > Blackberry Storm 9530 > Motorola Droid X > Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by xelhandroid View Post
    If you just want to pay and ride, take your pick of Android phones. I love them all with the exception of the slideout keyboard models. To many working parts that will ultimately fail / break.

If you plan to customize your phone, no question, the GNEX is the ONLY way to go. With the unlocked bootloader and superuser access the sky is the limit when it comes to development.

If you get the GNEX, get the Otterbox - no ifs, ands, or buts. I treat my phones like gold but there is something about the design of the phone. I don't know if its the slim design or what, but the phone will constantly find a way to jumble around in your hands. Especially if you have man-hands. My first GNEX hit the floor and cracked the screen. Asurion was my savior. Get the Otterbox.
    Come on really? The phone hasn't even been out a full month!!