gnexhack.jpg

about.png

What You Will Find In This Guide

• How to unlock the bootloader & root using a PC
  • How to unlock the bootloader & root using a MAC
  • YouTube video tutorial
  • Troubleshooting
  • How to root the 4.0.4 update
[INFO]For this method we are going to use Paul O'Briens Superboot.

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!
...evostance- xda​
[/INFO]

windows.jpg

BEFORE WE BEGIN
DOWNLOAD THE FOLLOWING: Download the latest version of Superboot: >> Download Here << Download Samsung Drivers: >> Download Here << (Updated Dec. 17th) v1.4.6.0.exe
Download USB drivers: >> Download Here << (If Needed.. If you get <waiting for device> you might need the USB drivers)

This Guide is For Windows/PC Users (For Mac... See the end of the guide)

***** WARNING: Before you begin... Unlocking the bootloader wipes the entire phone, including the internal storage. So back up any pictures, videos, music, etc... to your computer before you begin. *****
NOW LETS GET STARTED
STEP:
1) Extract the contents of the above zip file. (SUPERBOOT)
69111212.jpg

30298385.jpg

2) Open the r3-galaxynexus-superboot folder you just extracted and select all of the files. (Ctrl + A)
10628512.jpg

3) Right click to Copy the files.
91217711.jpg

4) Open the C: drive of your computer. Right click to create a new folder and name it "root". Open the folder and PASTE the files in it that you just copied.
44972517.jpg

5) Open Command Prompt from the start menu on your computer. Use the search field if you need to.
16221991.jpg

6) From your phone... go to > Settings > Developer Options > Turn on USB Debugging.

7) Power your device off.

8) Connect your phone to your computer.

9) Put the device into bootloader mode by holding down Vol Up + Vol Down + Power and release when you see this screen.
66521378.jpg

10) Go to the Command Prompt Window and type the following: (Hit enter after each line)
Code:
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred][B]cd C:/[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
49527971.jpg

Code:
[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=3][B]cd root[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
21004260.jpg

11) Unlock your bootloader by typing this: ***This Will Wipe Your Device | Make A Backup of Anything Important If You Need To***
Code:
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred][B]fastboot-windows oem unlock[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
76547787.jpg

12) You should get a warning on your phone. Use the volume keys to select an option, and press the power button to confirm it. (Select YES ;))
12281911.jpg

13) Your bootloader should now say that it is unlocked at the bottom.
74082979.jpg

14) To root your device, go back to the root folder that you created earlier on your C: drive and double click:
install-superboot-windows.bat
[NOTE]14) To root the 4.0.4 update... continue here [/NOTE]
97707944.jpg

15) When completed... you should see this screen:
63084236.jpg

16) After seeing the Google unlock screen for a few minutes, your phone should eventually power itself back on. Don't freak out and think it's frozen... it may take a good 5-10 minutes to power up off of the Google screen. ***If the Google screen goes into a bootloop... Whatever you do.. DO NOT pull the battery immediately... it will soft brick the phone. Try unplugging the USB Cable or hold the power button until the phone powers on and off. If you do end up having to pull the battery... wait at least 5-10 minutes while on the Google screen before you do so*** (more info on troubleshooting this can be found in the first 7 pages.)

Congrats... You Are Now Rooted with an Unlocked Bootloader. Now go have some fun! :p
anda.jpg
CREDITS
SuperBoot: Paul O'Brien
Info: Evostance (XDA)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

98px-Apple-Logo.png

For MAC Users
The instructions are the same as for PC... you just need to change the command codes.
Replace the PC codes with the following:
Step 5 from above:
Code:
[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=3]cd C:/[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Code:
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]cd root[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Step 6 from above:
Code:
[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=3]./fastboot-mac oem unlock[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Also... From Step 9 above: Choose "install-superboot-mac.sh"
That's All...

Siguenos-en-youtube.png

YouTube Video: Unlocking the bootloader and rooting from a MAC

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tF-Sz_yjYI&list=UUTqkQCOfg2k27s4GJZWrkjg&index=1&feature=plcp[/YT]
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyiCjdoUheU[/YT]

maintainance_default.png
TROUBLESHOOTING
[TIP]Common Facts & Questions[/TIP]
If you're having problems with the Drivers or the device not being recognized... Go to Device Manager on you computer and do the following.
* In fastboot mode, this is how your device may show up... with a yellow exclamation point (Unknown Device).
devicemgr1.png

* Right click on the unknown device and select "Update driver software". Brings this up.... select "Browse my computer for driver software"
browse1.png

* That then brings up the following. Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
browse2.png

* That then brings up the next step screen. scroll down until you see "SAMSUNG Android Phone". If you do not see this, you have not installed the driver.
browse3.png

* After selecting that, then select "SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface".
browse4.png

* Then select "Yes" to update that driver.
browse5.png

DONE.. your device is now recognized in fastboot mode!

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexu

Rooting the 4.04 update (if your phones bootloader is not already unlocked.. you will need to unlock the bootloader first/directions in the first post)

Instructions:

1. Download this su.zip to your internal storage.
2. Download Clockwork Recovery and place in in your SDk/Tools or Platform-Tools folder.
3. From you Tools or Platform-Tools folder, open a command prompt.

*Wherever your adb.exe and fastboot.exe files are.

4. Type the following commands:

Code:
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR][/SIZE]
–wait for your phone to boot to the bootloader
Code:
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img[/SIZE][/COLOR]
–wait until the command prompt tells you it has finished

5. On your phone, scroll down to “Recovery Mode” and press the power button.
6. Your phone should boot into Clockwork Recovery.
7. Select “install zip from sdcard.”
8. Find the su.zip file that you downloaded earlier. Choose it and flash it.
9. Reboot your phone and you should now be rooted.

Enjoy!

credit adrynalyne for the new su.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: axeb

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Fantastic! This wont stop OTA updates from coming right?

EDIT: Just checked and OTA will be ok. Awesome write up. I never had to unlock a bootloader before. This will be the first time, but Sammys are fairly simple :)

Last edited:

kichard

May 23, 2011
Visit site

Wow this was way easier than the ADB style droid life posted last night. Thank you!!

kichard

May 23, 2011
Visit site

Im worried now lol. Been stuck at the google screen for a good 5 minutes..

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Everytime I get to the last Command Prompt, It always says waiting for device. I dont get it. I have the Samsung Drivers installed, USB installed and did everything else. When I notice that I plug the usb in before I put the phone in fastboot mode, It makes the studder step sound of the USB inserted on the computer. Instead of the full Sound a USB connection makes. Can anyone help me with this?

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Everytime I get to the last Command Prompt, It always says waiting for device. I dont get it. I have the Samsung Drivers installed, USB installed and did everything else. When I notice that I plug the usb in before I put the phone in fastboot mode, It makes the studder step sound of the USB inserted on the computer. Instead of the full Sound a USB connection makes. Can anyone help me with this?

download the drivers, then click on the start menu, then right click on my computer, then click on manage from the drop down list, then in the window that pops up on the left hand side click on device manager. look for something that has a yellow "!" by it and right click on it and go to properties. then in 1 of those tabs (I believe it's the first 1) click on update driver. then click browse my computer for driver software. then click "browse" and find the folder where is the drivers are located and click next. you'll probably get a message saying that windows cannot determine the source the driver you sure that you want to install it and you'll want to click yes. directions just be following prompts. that's what works for me hope this helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

i'm not getting the unlock boatloader screen. when i plugged in my phone before i booted up it said installing drivers but nothing happened, i got an error

gothir

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Well I used this method to unlock the bootloader but I had the same problem with the waiting on device message. I had to manually go into the windows device manager and update the driver...then navigate to the driver. For some reason it was using the wrong driver even though I had installed it. Maybe you are having the same problem?

And for a question of my own. If i used this method to unlock the bootloader only, can I just skip to step 14 to root the phone or do I need to use another method to get root.

Reactions: nittomuniz

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Well I used this method to unlock the bootloader but I had the same problem with the waiting on device message. I had to manually go into the windows device manager and update the driver...then navigate to the driver. For some reason it was using the wrong driver even though I had installed it. Maybe you are having the same problem?

And for a question of my own. If i used this method to unlock the bootloader only, can I just skip to step 14 to root the phone or do I need to use another method to get root.

Thank you for that. I did it via your method that same exact way and it finally worked. Was sitting on the Google sceen for a minute there I was a little bit worried. But Its finally booting up now after I installed Root. So I gotta see how this is gonna work out.

I just want to make sure that we can still get OTA updates?

clucernoni

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

MOST if not all errors that you will get are caused by the drivers not being installed correctly. Go into your device manager and make sure there are no errors or yellow exclamation points on your device. If they are, you won't be able to do anything here until they are resolved. Double click on the device and browse to the folder you downloaded the driver packages too from this thread and hit ok. It should find and install them.

kcrandall758

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

do you have to unlock the bootloader in order to root? reason I ask is because I've already got the phone pretty much set up to how I want it (sounds, background, etc)

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

all set! that was easy, i didnt have the drivers properly installed. ok now what? lol lets see some roms

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Would someone be kind enough to post a detailed guide on how to do this in Linux?

Thanks!

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

ok back for one more question. i powered up the phone and it keeps on saying android is upgrading and starting applications. seems to be stuck in a loop its been doing it now for 10 minutes. is that normal?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

[INFO]For this method we are going to use Paul O'Briens Superboot.

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!
[/INFO]

Very Nice, thanks for posting. I think I will take the ADB route so I can learn how this process works.