Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #351  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by JDane07 View Post
    So I followed the guide you posted near the end of that thread.
    I placed the CWM recovery image in the r3 folder, did the terminal commands, etc.
    Was able to use CWM recovery to install the new SU.zip.
    Went into rom manager and I was able to flash CWM successfully.

At the end of the guide you posted you said something about renaming a file or something rather? Do I need to do that even though I was able to flash CWM through Rom manager, or am I finally good to go and can start installing my jelly bean goodness? Thanks for the help man, you are truly awesome.
    You may need to reflash cwm the same way you did if the file exists. I suggest checking out the link. It's a file within either system or system /lib and it says "recover from" something something.

Or look up "cwm recovery won't stick."

You may not even have it. A quick way to check is trying to go to recovery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    901 Global Posts

Default Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexu

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    You may need to reflash cwm the same way you did if the file exists. I suggest checking out the link. It's a file within either system or system /lib and it says "recover from" something something.

Yeah, I went to check and it's back to the little android dude, so no stick.

Global Posts
    901 Global Posts

So I'm trying to delete the recovery-from-boot.p file in /system, but it says I can't because it's read only or something?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #354  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

So I'm trying to delete the recovery-from-boot.p file in /system, but it says I can't because it's read only or something?
    What file manager do you have? You need to change permissions from "read only" (r/o) to "read and write" (r/w). In ES File Explorer that's in the main settings; in Root Explorer, you should see a little tap-able toggle at the top of the window that says "make r/w."

Delete it, then turn it back to r/o, and you should be good.
    Thanked by:
    zero neck likes this.

Global Posts
    901 Global Posts

What file manager do you have? You need to change permissions from "read only" (r/o) to "read and write" (r/w). In ES File Explorer that's in the main settings; in Root Explorer, you should see a little tap-able toggle at the top of the window that says "make r/w."

Delete it, then turn it back to r/o, and you should be good.
    Oh goodness, I'm stupid.
    Worked like a charm! I should be good to go now!

Thanks for all of your help again. We would be truly lost without you here!
    zero neck likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #356  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Oh goodness, I'm stupid.
    Worked like a charm! I should be good to go now!

Thanks for all of your help again. We would be truly lost without you here!
    lol no worries, it's my pleasure.

Also, I would say 100% of custom roms have that file removed, so don't worry about CWM sticking when you flash .
    Thanked by:

Is there a new version of CWM available? The original post has a 5.* version... isn't 6.* out now? I have no idea where I go to get new versions of CWM.

Global Posts
    11,757 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

They're available at . Just make sure you download the correct version for your phone and flash via fastboot.

You can also use Rom Manager to download and flash the latest version. Make sure you have a good data connection ans aelect the option to flash clockworkmod recovery.

Sent from my SGS III
    Thanked by 3:

Had mine rooted before the 4.0.4 update. I lost root, of course. I was still unlocked so just proceeded with the root tool. I've been at the Google lock screen for a good 20 minutes now. When should I start to worry?

Update: tried various things seen in this thread, ended up doing a battery pull. Everything is working fine (or seems to be), but no root. At least I'm not bricked.
    Last edited by Cowql8er; 07-30-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    Galaxy Note II
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by Cowql8er View Post
    Had mine rooted before the 4.0.4 update. I lost root, of course. I was still unlocked so just proceeded with the root tool. I've been at the Google lock screen for a good 20 minutes now. When should I start to worry?

Update: tried various things seen in this thread, ended up doing a battery pull. Everything is working fine (or seems to be), but no root. At least I'm not bricked.
    you need to flash this version of the su package in recovery -

* INCREDIBLE * MECHA * TORO * GROUPER * GALAXY S3 *
    * [TORO RADIOS] * [NEXUS WALLS] * [GROUPER GUIDE] * [CHATTER] *

Hi, first post an the what not.
    So followed the initial unlock steps on my GNex just fine, all unlocked (thank you btw). Have 4.0.4 an tried following steps to root that version except when I attempt to boot into recovery mode to flash the suggested SU.zip (which is loaded into device) I get the sad dead android. I get very confused on that whole part as it is. Sorry if I overlooked someone already resolving this, if so, just direct me there.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by ohnoepatrol View Post
    Hi, first post an the what not.
    So followed the initial unlock steps on my GNex just fine, all unlocked (thank you btw). Have 4.0.4 an tried following steps to root that version except when I attempt to boot into recovery mode to flash the suggested SU.zip (which is loaded into device) I get the sad dead android. I get very confused on that whole part as it is. Sorry if I overlooked someone already resolving this, if so, just direct me there.
    Recovery isn't sticking, it won't until you root and remove the recovery-from-boot.p file from /system.

To boot into recovery and flash the su.zip just open the terminal as you did before inside the folder with your fastboot file and recovery.img you want to flash, have the phone in bootloader mode and connected. Type:
    fastboot boot recovery nameofrecovery.img
    And hit enter.

Note to change the nameofrecovery to the exact name of the img, and if the fastboot command needs to be entered slightly different make sure you do (you don't mention what OS you are using).

Also make sure the su.zip is the one for 4.0.4... I believe it's I am the OP or its been posted throughout this thread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:

resolved issues .. eventually, WUG helped. Yay. Ignore OP
    Last edited by ohnoepatrol; 08-03-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Thanks

Thumbs down Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexu

Rooting the 4.04 update (if your phones bootloader is not already unlocked.. you will need to unlock the bootloader first/directions in the first post)

5. On your phone, scroll down to “Recovery Mode” and press the power button.
    6. Your phone should boot into Clockwork Recovery.
    7. Select “install zip from sdcard.”
    8. Find the su.zip file that you downloaded earlier. Choose it and flash it.
    9. Reboot your phone and you should now be rooted.

credit adrynalyne for the new su.zip
    I got to step 7. Do I actually need an sdcard, or is does this system option include whatever is downloaded to "Internal Storage." I followed the directions and sent "su.zip" to the root of "Internal Storage."

After making the selection on step 7 I was given another screen of choices. One was to select "update.zip." I went back, then selected it again "install zip from sdcard" again. The options went blank leaving me with only the Clockwork logo in the middle of the screen (the black hat with the arrow).

I'm unsure what to do next. I never actually selected a file.
    Dag, yo!

ROM
    AOKP/Franco & PA/Franco

The option in CWM mentions the sd card, but the GNex doesn't have one. However, the internal memory has some space allocated as an sd card. So this is definitely the option you want to select.

Now, what do you mean by the options went blank? Go back isn't even listed as an option?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #367  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

I would just try restarting CWM. CWM can do that--it will hang, occasionally.

ROM
    JBSourcery_V2.3

Thanks that was easier then i thought it was going to be

Success!!! Time for fun! Thank you whomever made this

Where to I put clockworkmod if this model doesn't support the sd card?? Any help asap super appreciated I haven't let her touch her new phone yet

Quote Originally Posted by zero neck View Post
    you need to flash this version of the su package in recovery -
    How to I do this? Not working tried the superboot install and it never boots up... Gave phone like 20 minutes... Recovery isn't sticking and I'm not sure where to put the clockworkmod.. also when it's "booting" from the superboot it says the driver's aren't installed properly which I know is BS... tips?

Help! My Galaxy Nexus sudden going through BootLoop (at Google logo).
    I have new born baby photos and video that I need to pull them out to my PC.
    This is original phone so I bootloader is still LOCKED.

I can not unlock bootloader because it will wipe all my photos.
    Please help.
    Here is what I have done..
    1) Install the drivers (both for fastboot and ADB):
    2) Download ClockworkMod 5.5.0.2 for Galaxy Nexus *GSM Edition* to C:\Android and rename it to recovery.img:
    3) Download and extract the Android SDK so that I have fastboot.exe and adb.exe to C:\Android:
    4) Open a command prompt in C:\Android
    5) Turn off your phone and reboot into fastboot mode (vol up + vol down + power) and plug into PC
    6) Type: fastboot boot recovery.img
    Obviouly .. it complain that

c:\Android>fastboot boot recovery.img
    downloading 'boot.img'...
    OKAY [ 0.680s]
    booting...
    FAILED (remote: Bootloader Locked - Use "fastboot oem unlock" to Unlock)
    finished. total time: 0.690s
    c:\Android>

So my bootloader is LOCKED ..what do I do? I do not want to unlock since it will wipe/lose all my photos/video.
    Also, I can get turn on Android Debugger Mode on my Nexus because it is doing the bootloop. Therefore my pc won't regnize adb driver nor adb.exe will not works due to bootloop at Google Logo.

ALSO, I cleared my cashe from recovery mode & then selection,
    wipe cache partition
    Still same issue.

Yes ... I can get to bootloader and download mode. (combination vol+, vol- + power).

HELP ME..!
    Thank you

Download links not listed on top of thread anymore?

Default Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

I'm on a stock jellybean rom and appear to have lost root after installing it. I'd like to switch over to the Clean AOSP rom posted in these forums but would like to back up my apps and everything with Titanium before I do so.

I attempted to root using su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip from , but Titanium is still telling me that I don't have root access after rebooting. Is there something I'm missing? I loaded the zip onto my phone, flashed CWM recovery and installed the zip, which it said was successful.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #375  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Default Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by ohcalcutta View Post
    I'm on a stock jellybean rom and appear to have lost root after installing it. I'd like to switch over to the Clean AOSP rom posted in these forums but would like to back up my apps and everything with Titanium before I do so.

I attempted to root using su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip from , but Titanium is still telling me that I don't have root access after rebooting. Is there something I'm missing? I loaded the zip onto my phone, flashed CWM recovery and installed the zip, which it said was successful.
    There's an updated zip. Look in my OTA thread in the general forum.

Regarding the links, I'll double check everything. I plan on redoing some stuff, just haven't had the time. For Windows users, I recommend following Jubakuba's guide or using Wug's Toolkit for the time being.
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 LastLast