[GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

grape43

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexu

Hey quick question, if I unlock the boot loader do I void the warranty? Can I re lock the boot loader if necessary? New to the platform, thanks for the help.

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
OK so I got into the screen where it says start at the top in green and you can change it with the volume buttons.

From there I'm suppose to type "fastboot oem unlock" which I do and it says waiting for device but my phone is still sitting on the same screen. The instructions I read say its suppose to go to a screen where it says yes or no for unlocking the bootloader but it doesn't.

You need to reinstall the USB drivers. If you go into device manager on your computer there is probably a yellow exclamation mark somewhere...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bobert0489

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

I went through all the steps and had the Google screen for over 30 mins before I finally pulled the battery, since the power button wasn't doing much good. It booted back up and said it was updating and everything seems to be back to normal. How do I tell if it was successful? Or rather, is there an easy way to check to make sure the phone is now rooted?

Thanks

Last edited:

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks to any and all that have put work into this how to unlock and root thread. I followed it and it worked perfectly. I think the key is to get the drivers in place prior to the process. Thanks again!

Sent from my unlocked and rooted Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bmkindoll#AC

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

After pushing Superboot image to my phone, I have been stuck on the Google screen for 20+ mins. All buttons are unresponsive. What should I do?

Brandon

sansrisque

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

After pushing Superboot image to my phone, I have been stuck on the Google screen for 20+ mins. All buttons are unresponsive. What should I do?
Brandon

don't remove the battery, remove the cable... it will keep looping for a bit (under a minute I think), then will reboot by itself and go to the google screen, then really boot.
I was in a boot loop and only had to disconnect to get out of the loop and boot.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

Wow. Did this a little while ago. Took all of 10 minutes to do. Now that I've done this I realize what all your instructions were about. The majority were for navigating the windows file structure via the command prompt. Once I started all my old memories from DOS days came back and it was a breeze!

Thanks so much for the support from everyone here :)

orion.2ktc

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site

Ok, I've gone through these steps, I have the superuser icon, and the root checker declares that I'm not rooted. Also, I've tried my CPU overclocking program and it's not working. What am I missing here?

jackdw

May 23, 2011
Visit site

I think I already know the answer to this but, just for clarification, is it at all possible that unlocking the bootloader and rooting could slow down performance of the phone?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

I think I already know the answer to this but, just for clarification, is it at all possible that unlocking the bootloader and rooting could slow down performance of the phone?

In my experiences rooting and flashing ROM's has only made my phone faster and an overall a much better performance. Give it a few weeks for some great ROMs to be released which will give you more options and a better experience, but just rooting without ROMs will not slow your device down at all.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Question: if we used this method to root, then how do we unroot?

anon(602592)

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Thank you for the guide, it worked perfectly.

I have a question though. How do I get clockwork recovery (or any other recovery) installed on the device to flash a custom rom?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781