[GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexu

Thanks Cyber for the guide it work perfect for me :)

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

During reboot, DO NOT BATTERY PULL. The phone may loop and loop, but battery pulling will soft brick you and you will have to flash factory images to reset yourself. I was able to unplug from the computer while it was looping and the phone then rebooted itself. Or you may just have to wait a while since it is factory reseting during this first boot.

Reactions: Cyber Warrior

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

During reboot, DO NOT BATTERY PULL. The phone may loop and loop, but battery pulling will soft brick you and you will have to flash factory images to reset yourself. I was able to unplug from the computer while it was looping and the phone then rebooted itself. Or you may just have to wait a while since it is factory reseting during this first boot.

Needed to read this a few minutes ago, was looping and looping so like a dumb a$$ I pulled the battery. Looks like time to start over and flash the factory images

should I give it a few minutes before trying that?

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Needed to read this a few minutes ago, was looping and looping so like a dumb a$$ I pulled the battery. Looks like time to start over and flash the factory images

same here man hope cyber puts it on the OP.... how would you load the image if no sdcard ?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I'll add it to the instructions... honestly, im not sure how i got off of the Google screen :) I did eventually pull the cord which i guess is what eventually rebooted the phone.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Not sure yet, wish I had recovery installed to be able to wipe data that would have worked (maybe). Has to be a work around some where.

here is what i'm trying, I'll let you know if it works

Originally Posted by MBerlowitz5181 View Post
I just ran a system wipe/ recovery using the bootloader menu... back up and running.

All i did was get back into bootloader by holding both VOL up and VOL down then power. once in, i went used vol down to scroll to recover, and then used power to accept. after it ran (5 minutes) it booted fine!

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

are you kidding me? did we soft brick our phones? that sux what now? cyber going to put up some instructions?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Not sure yet, wish I had recovery installed to be able to wipe data that would have worked (maybe). Has to be a work around some where.

Actually... the whole phone gets wiped. Including whats considered the sd card.... at least for me it did. Good thing I only had a few test pictures that i had taken.

Can any one else confirm that the entire phone was wiped.... including storage?

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Actually... the whole phone gets wiped. Including whats considered the sd card.... at least for me it did. Good thing I only had a few test pictures that i had taken.

Can any one else confirm that the entire phone was wiped.... including storage?

That sounds right to me, android central s last podcast mentioned to unlock your bootloader right away when you get your nexus for that very reason.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cyber Warrior

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Never messed with ADB until today. Easy as pie. Unlocked and Rooted!!

kichard

May 23, 2011
Visit site

Mine was sitting at the google screen for a serious 15 minutes. I pulled the battery, booted up just fine and super user is working correctly. Installed Rom Manager and flashed Clockwork. Idk why you guys are getting boot loops. Maybe I got lucky?? Idk 15 minutes should be more than enough time to load the system images back up. To fix the soft boot wouldn't you just go to the stock recovery and delete data/factory reset?? I mean that's what I would do...

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

ok so i've got a android guy on his back with a red triangle coming out of his stomach did i brick my phone?

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

well i'm between google and the spash screen in between keeps saying android upgrading but its been doing it for over a half hour now, sure hope i didnt do anything to the phone just keeps looping between those two screens

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

ok so i've got a android guy on his back with a red triangle coming out of his stomach did i brick my phone?

Nope. Pull the battery and turn back on. With root explorer goto /system and rename the file "recovery-from-boot.p", put a 1 in front or .bak. Then with ROM manager reflash CWM and you should be good to go. Boot into CWM.

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Nope. Pull the battery and turn back on. With root explorer goto /system and rename the file "recovery-from-boot.p", put a 1 in front or .bak. Then with ROM manager reflash CWM and you should be good to go. Boot into CWM.

how can i get to the root explorer if the phone keeps looping? and where would the root explorer be? sorry i'm not too good with tech talk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow