[GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

daveferraiuolo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexu

i had the same problem . i just took the driver folder i downloaded and draged it to desktop and then added it in the device manager part manually

jsla7527

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Sorry if this has been covered already, but i have an issue with superuser permissions. I followed these instructions to the letter, but when an app tries to ask for superuser permissions, nothing happens, and the app assumes it is getting denied. Suggestions?

I have the same issue. I got app installed but it doesn't work. I even tried setting it to always grant permission, still no go. Tried this twice. Phone never rebooted itself off, I once rebooted it after about 20 minutes via adb, once by battery pull. I am on stock yakju 4.0.4.

finger11

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

I unlocked (didn't root) my Nexus on day 1 and want to start putting a ROM on... is it as easy as just running the root command "install-superboot-windows.bat" and rebooting since I'm already unlocked?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I unlocked (didn't root) my Nexus on day 1 and want to start putting a ROM on... is it as easy as just running the root command "install-superboot-windows.bat" and rebooting since I'm already unlocked?
Yep.. should take a few minutes and you're all set.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

It was stuck at the Google screen for 30min. tried unplugging, took the battery out, booted up and everything is fine with root.

Cool.. yea sorry.. should have mentioned that if you get stuck on the Google screen.. after 5-10 minutes (nothing sooner) you can pull the battery.

Reactions: zero neck

KnocturnalPhx

May 1, 2012
Visit site

So does this method flash a custom recovery image as well or do you have to go that after its rooted??

rickydubay

May 26, 2011
Visit site

Was stuck at Google screen for +15 min, pulling USB cable and holding down power button didn't work. Did battery pull. Everything worked fine on first boot-up, lucky i guess since i unlocked the bootloader with the gnex toolkit 6.1. This method seems easier tho, big ups.

corn4ahead

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Would you suggest using this method or the toolkit for rooting and unlocking the phone?

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

Would you suggest using this method or the toolkit for rooting and unlocking the phone?

I would suggest this method. My suggestion is biased I guess as I've not used any of the toolkits out there, but doing it the manual way gives you insight in the process. And its always good to have the android sdk set up on your comp. Then you can use adb and fastboot in a pinch.

It's not hard if you can follow directions. The biggest hassle you may run into is getting the drivers to install correctly.

On the flipside, there are lots who swear by the toolkits and I surmise they get the job done.

Reactions: zero neck

Cowql8er

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for all the work!!! It was so easy to unlock and root with you guide that i'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier. Now I just have to tackle the fear of flashing custom roms.

jwwws

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site

I'm having issues installing the drivers using Win8. Any ideas other than finding a Win7 machine :confused:

madgamemike

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

S/O to Cyber Warrior Cyber. I was able to complete this on my 1st attempt EVER...by following the instructions. Thank You

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

I am about to attempt to root my VZW galaxy nexus but before I do I want to confirm this will work on the latest software update. Does anyone know if it is compatible?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I am about to attempt to root my VZW galaxy nexus but before I do I want to confirm this will work on the latest software update. Does anyone know if it is compatible?

Yes it should work. If you get stuck somewhere, post in here and we'll help you solve the hiccup.

gl

Reactions: j7469

mrkriz

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Is there anyway to know if I have rooted my phone?
I honestly dont remember if i rooted it when i unlocked the bootloader. I dont think i did but the 4.0.4 update from verizon does not update properly. My phone asks to restart and update but when i let it, it shuts down and freezes with Google written on the screen with a little unlock icon at the bottom. This is the same screen that shows up when you turn your phone on. I have to pull the battery to boot the phone back up.
When i unlocked the bootloader i used the andriod sdk method. Any ideas would be appreciated.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I honestly dont remember if i rooted it when i unlocked the bootloader. I dont think i did but the 4.0.4 update from verizon does not update properly. My phone asks to restart and update but when i let it, it shuts down and freezes with Google written on the screen with a little unlock icon at the bottom. This is the same screen that shows up when you turn your phone on. I have to pull the battery to boot the phone back up.
When i unlocked the bootloader i used the andriod sdk method. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Do you have a superuser app? Can you grant superuser permissions?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Besides having a superuser app like dmmarck mentioned or downloading an app that requires root/superuser permissions....

You can download the android terminal emulator... open the app and if the command line starts with a "$" then you're rooted. If it starts with a "#" then you're not rooted.