Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cyber Warrior
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Free wifi tether

What wifi tether app works with a rooted nexus galaxy?

Global Posts
    697 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

Default Re: Free wifi tether

I would really like to know this as well. I just got my Nexus and I've rooted it (first time rooting). I had heard so much about rooting to be able to do free, undetectable wi-fi tethering...but I can't seem to find how. Is it just an app that I install? If so, which one is best to avoid Verizon's snooping?

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Devil 40.1

That is usually involved in a new Kernel to the phone to remove the monitoring. I am not sure any new Kernels have been released to remove that, YET.
    I know enough to get into trouble, but not enough to get myself out of that trouble.

Global Posts
    697 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

Oh, so just installing a wifi tether app from the market won't be enough then? Okay...guess I'll just keep waiting

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts

Rooted this morning and installed Wifi Tether and right now its a no go. I don't have any travelling plans right now so it's not a critical thing for me, but when I do travel I use the wifi tether and I'll have to have some sort of working tether, wired or unwired.
    R

If I have offered any information to help you or of interest to you please hit the "Thanks" button.

Global Posts
    697 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

Yeah I'm traveling tomorrow=/ I had read somewhere that if you use something like Barnacle and don't use egregious amounts of data, they won't sniff you out. I'm on a capped data plan anyway, so it's not like I'd be hitting like 10GB or something...

subsccribed

Global Posts
    469 Global Posts

wifi tether does not work. neither does barnicle at this point devs are working on it so hopefully we will see something by next year.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I've heard PDAnet works (no need to root). If you dont mind that in the meantime. Its USB tethering.

ROM
    stock

Anyone know if open garden works? I had it on my charge and it worked great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Subscribing

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

There are a ton of threads on this already. Right now none of the wifi tether applications work because the gnex uses the broadcom 4330 chip. There are devs working on the wifi tether for root users for a number of devices that use the broadcom so hopefully we'll have something soon.

ROM
    Stock 4.02 Rooted

EasyTether works through USB.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Wireless Tether Update.... Now works with Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    ...via DroidLife:
    Thanked by 2:
    captaincaveman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    Wireless Tether Update.... Now works with Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    ...via DroidLife:
    I can confirm this and it works flawlessly...

ROM
    ?

I Picked my Nexus 4G today. Can I install this without rooting the phone?
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastmr2 View Post
    I Picked my Nexus 4G today. Can I install this without rooting the phone?
    It says this is an experimental version... so I'm not sure about compatibility with the NS4G but I would think that it would most likely work.

You're phone is still on Gingerbread... so just go to the android market and search for "wireless thether for root users" and use that version.... And yes you must be rooted to use this app.

Here's the android market browser link: or just search the market from your phone.

EDIT......... sorry I thought you said Nexus S 4G.... yes you can use it but you must be rooted.

Nope Android wireless tether requires root access.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Some users over on XDA are having success using this without root...just sayin....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ROM
    ?

Thank you both for your help. I have been a blackberry user for 8 years. I enjoy this phone. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks before rooting my device.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
    There are a ton of threads on this already. Right now none of the wifi tether applications work because the gnex uses the broadcom 4330 chip. There are devs working on the wifi tether for root users for a number of devices that use the broadcom so hopefully we'll have something soon.
    What about PDAnet via usb, that works okay and no way for Verizon to find out?
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    1,282 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by BringTheRain403 View Post
    Some users over on XDA are having success using this without root...just sayin....
    Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
    What about PDAnet via usb, that works okay and no way for Verizon to find out?
    PDAnet is working perfectly for me. I've also gotten WiFi Tether working, as detailed in another thread. One thing I'm finding though, is that the battery drain while tethering is crazy. When using PDAnet, my phone just stays at about the same level (for example, I'm tethering now, and have been at 89% battery for the past couple hours). But, if I use WiFi Tether, it drains, even when plugged into my computer. When it's plugged into the usb port, it slows the drain, but the batter still drains. That's nuts. Hopefully these apps get optimized for the GN and don't kill the batter quite so much after an update. Otherwise it's not all that useful for it to drain even when plugged in.