[MAC METHOD] Root,Unroot & Unlock Your VZ Galaxy Nexus

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll give that a try tomorrow and see if it helps or not.

That will get you where you need to be unless I typed the commands wrong, which I don't believe I did.

Here's what it does ==>

Enables you to use fastboot b/c that folder has it, so as long as you download a CWM recovery image (go to his site, look for toro, get the 5.8.0.2 image; it will be a long ass file name ending in .img) and place it in the folder you'll be able to flash it over with fastboot (hence the command.)

Once flashed, you can do whatever with CWM but it may not "stick"--which sounds like what may be happening when you go to recovery at the moment. Check the link in that droidforums.net guide I linked; it has a link at the bottom of the page (flashing CWM recovery or something like that) will describe the issue and how to fix it. (FWIW, I've never seen that file but I always go straight to a rom.)

In case I typed it wrong, the general Mac fastboot prefix is

./fastboot-mac

With that, you need to flash the recovery

./fastboot-mac flash recovery recoveryimagename.img

Reboot the bootloader to make sure all is well.

./fastboot-mac reboot-bootloader

Then go into recovery and do work.

Reactions: zero neck

idesofmarch

May 4, 2010
Visit site
That will get you where you need to be unless I typed the commands wrong, which I don't believe I did.

Here's what it does ==>

Enables you to use fastboot b/c that folder has it, so as long as you download a CWM recovery image (go to his site, look for toro, get the 5.8.0.2 image; it will be a long ass file name ending in .img) and place it in the folder you'll be able to flash it over with fastboot (hence the command.)

Once flashed, you can do whatever with CWM but it may not "stick"--which sounds like what may be happening when you go to recovery at the moment. Check the link in that droidforums.net guide I linked; it has a link at the bottom of the page (flashing CWM recovery or something like that) will describe the issue and how to fix it. (FWIW, I've never seen that file but I always go straight to a rom.)

In case I typed it wrong, the general Mac fastboot prefix is

With that, you need to flash the recovery

Reboot the bootloader to make sure all is well.

Then go into recovery and do work.

I just got a Galaxy Nexus and i was trying this method and everything was going good but when i try to reboot to recovery it says that i dont have a recovery image....When I put in the command "./fastboot-mac reboot-boatloader" the commands options comes out (as shown in the picture)

Any help is appreciated... thanks in advance

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You're spelling it wrong. Not boatloader. Bootloader :).

My apologies if I spelled it wrong!

Edit: found a post where I put boat, not boot. My apologies :-\

Sent from Oliver, my Nuclear-Powered, Orb-Shaped Candy Device.

Reactions: idesofmarch

idesofmarch

May 4, 2010
Visit site
You're spelling it wrong. Not boatloader. Bootloader :).

My apologies if I spelled it wrong!

Edit: found a post where I put boat, not boot. My apologies :-\

hahahaha thanks a lot man. I would have never caught that

Edit: Oh and it worked! thanks a lot man

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
hahahaha thanks a lot man. I would have never caught that

Edit: Oh and it worked! thanks a lot man

No problem. I put the correct spelling in the post above yours as well, so you can copy and paste from it.

Enjoy!

Wheels309

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I went through the process listed in this thread and successfully unlocked the bootloader. I thought I was rooted, and may be, but cannot get root access to work with superuser. I tried downloading the 4.04 superuser.img but either I did not install this correctly (went through Astro and DL the .img. I tried to run an update through the superuser app but that fails in the final step <gaining root access>. My super user version is 3.07(41). Any ideas?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I went through the process listed in this thread and successfully unlocked the bootloader. I thought I was rooted, and may be, but cannot get root access to work with superuser. I tried downloading the 4.04 superuser.img but either I did not install this correctly (went through Astro and DL the .img. I tried to run an update through the superuser app but that fails in the final step <gaining root access>. My super user version is 3.07(41). Any ideas?

Do what I instructed Paul to do. Fastboot a recovery then flash the SU.zip with that recovery (from the dropbox link a few pages back).

Wheels309

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks that was simple enough, You will probably grow tired of me before I get comfortable with this process. Any JellyBean ROM you would recommend?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks that was simple enough, You will probably grow tired of me before I get comfortable with this process. Any JellyBean ROM you would recommend?

No problemo :)

Jelly Belly. It's currently at version 1.9, although the OP at Rootz only has 1.8 listed. If you go through the last few pages you'll find the appropriate links though.

djdanko

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
So I ran into a problem I got to the final step after loading "./fastboot -w update image-mysid-imm76k.zip" the phone started booting up so I let it do it. now I have the last two things to do: ./fastboot reboot-bootloader
./fastboot oem lock
When I tried to get it to go to the bootloader it just says waiting for device.... What did I do wrong and how can I fix it? I have to send this phone back in a few days.

Thanks for your help

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So I ran into a problem I got to the final step after loading "./fastboot -w update image-mysid-imm76k.zip" the phone started booting up so I let it do it. now I have the last two things to do: ./fastboot reboot-bootloader
./fastboot oem lock
When I tried to get it to go to the bootloader it just says waiting for device.... What did I do wrong and how can I fix it? I have to send this phone back in a few days.

Thanks for your help

Each step completed? You reboot into the bootloader once it gets to the welcome screen.

Then you lock it, reboot the bootloader, and you're good to go.

Try again?

Reactions: djdanko

devstull18

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to root the Samsung nexus running on 4.04 from the phone I do not own a computer

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to root the Samsung nexus running on 4.04 from the phone I do not own a computer

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Unfortunately, you'll need a computer to unlock the device before you can root. You can also use toolkits/one click tools, but all of those require a computer as well. Sorry :(.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I must of been just tired last night and didn't try to manually boot into the bootloader. Thanks for waking me up lol

No problem. It's good to do that "fastboot reboot-bootloader" command after everything you do in fastboot; it "refreshes" everything and ensures that it worked.

Keep me posted :).

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Very good directions ... I am getting my courage up ... is there another thread where you walk people through the steps of installing Jelly Bean on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus using a Mac once the phone is unlocked and rooted? If so, could you include that link?

Thanks!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Very good directions ... I am getting my courage up ... is there another thread where you walk people through the steps of installing Jelly Bean on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus using a Mac once the phone is unlocked and rooted? If so, could you include that link?

Thanks!

Once it gets to that stage, the type of computer you have is meaningless. Just know how to get files onto your device. You can reference my Jelly Bean Now guide for instructions as well as the individual JB rom device threads.

For a Mac, that means Android File Transfer.

Reactions: InclusionInnovates

bar19one

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I need help. Frustrated Doesn't Even begin to describe this.

I've unlocked. I've tried rooting twice. It goes to the "GOOGLE" screen forever until I decide to pull the battery 30+ min.

So I figured I would unroot/relock then try again.

I do all this.

1) Download the latest stock image( i will leave finding that image to you since this post can become outdated)( The names of the images will be different with each update. These are the commands for the latest 4.0.4 update)

2) Unzip the files, and place the images into the adb-fastboot folder you created on your desktop above.

3) Open a terminal and use the following commands:

Code:
~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/adb reboot bootloader

4) Wait for bootloader to reboot on phone.

It goes to the bootloader.

Then I try - 5) Then, in terminal use the following commands:

./adb reboot bootloader

I get. ***error: device not found***

It does have USB Debugging mode on. I've tried 3 separate times.

Now I have SuperUser on my phone and it's unlocked but it's not rooted. This suckssssss. Please help. I've looked everywhere else.