[MAC METHOD] Root,Unroot & Unlock Your VZ Galaxy Nexus

jone216

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
i tried that command but keep getting this Last login: Sat Dec 17 16:55:52 on ttys000
johnnies-MacBook-Pro:~ jayone216$ cd /Users/gearydo/Desktop/r3-galaxynexus-superboot/
-bash: cd: /Users/gearydo/Desktop/r3-galaxynexus-superboot/: No such file or directory
johnnies-MacBook-Pro:~ jayone216$ chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh
chmod: install-superboot-mac.sh: No such file or directory
johnnies-MacBook-Pro:~ jayone216$ ./install-superboot-mac.sh please help

Last edited:

romanvail

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
You are awesome. thanks for this.
How long does the Google screen stay up for ... you say a long time... like a good solid 5min? Or like 30-40 min?

Thanks.

I am getting worried... it's been 10 min and I see conflicting info -- one person says they were stuck like this and they pulled batter and all is well. Others say do not pull the battery.

Please help.

Thanks.

Roman

PilotConway

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
How long is it normally going to be at the google logo? It hasn't vibrated and its been there for a little over 10 minutes. Seems like everyone else is seeing different stuff than me.

PilotConway

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
After doing some searching it appears that the LTE nexus will somtimes hang on boot.img. It installs everything but wont actually boot. Seems battery pull will be fine at that point (which is was for me). I def waited like 15-20 minutes before doing the pull though.

Reactions: jamontoast1291

romanvail

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
6. Your phone is now successfully rooted.

Your phone may stay at the google bootscreen for a long time. BE PATIENT!
[/BOX]

Went step-by-step and now I am on the Google screen for 30 min+

How long do I need to be patient for exactly? Is it like an hour? Should it have been 10 min? I didnt see any specifics here.

I also see posts where people say this is ok... to pull the battery and it's done. Others say to never pull battery or else it will be bricked.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
If your phone has been at the boot screen for 15 +, go ahead an do a battery pull. Once you restart it, if it does it again, go ahead and start the unroot process and relock your bootloader. Now start over. That's what i did. My phone was at the bootscreen for a LONG time. I unrooted/ relocked and did it again, all fine. Make sure you follow the instructions to a T. One wrong input can farce it all up lol.

ps: By a long time, i mean 5 minutes at the google screen.

Reactions: Neutrino

romanvail

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
if your phone has been at the boot screen for 15 +, go ahead an do a battery pull. Once you restart it, if it does it again, go ahead and start the unroot process and relock your bootloader. Now start over. That's what i did. My phone was at the bootscreen for a long time. I unrooted/ relocked and did it again, all fine. Make sure you follow the instructions to a t. One wrong input can farce it all up lol.

Ps: By a long time, i mean 5 minutes at the google screen.

was stuck at google screen for almost an hour... Just pulled battery and su was there, downloaded apps for root and granted permission fine. Seems ok.

anon(562641)

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a problem. During the bootloader unlocking process, i thought i did everything correct got through all the steps and after i selected to unlock the bootloader i rebooted the phone and it was stuck in the boot up animation then went black and now just says google then vibrates and goes back to google. im freaking out. please help!

EDIT: I figured it out thanks anyways though

LrGenius,
Can you elaborate on what you did? I'm in the same boot loop (Google logo with unlock icon at bottom). I can boot into bootloader, but I do not have adb access. Any advice would be much appreciated.

EDIT: nm; I was able to flash CWM w/o adb working...

Last edited:

HawgFan1979

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey experts, I have a question. I tried using a modified windows method yesterday and got my Nexus unlocked, but the bottom of the screen at my boot loader screen says "Fastboot Command Read Error -2147483647" and I don't know where to start to get this fixed. I want to just follow your instructions on the OP, but I want to make sure that won't mess anything up. Any suggestions as to if I can just proceed as normal? Anybody else in my situation with fast boot? As I said, the phone is unlocked, but I'm worried that when I try to root, that fast boot error will cause problems. Thanks in advance.

In case anyone was having the same problem I was, I went ahead and started like I had never unlocked and followed this guide with linked downloads. It worked fine. I had to do a battery pull (like many are having to do), but when I started back up, it booted fine and I have SuperUser. All is well. Thanks for the detailed "How-To" and I'll be frequenting this board for more tips and tricks.

Last edited:

amwenguer

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, drag the folder, not the file... I'll customize it for you:
Code:
cd /Users/gearydo/Desktop/r3-galaxynexus-superboot/
chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh
./install-superboot-mac.sh

That should work

If you need help, I'm up (night shift person, but I'm off and can't sleep) We can do a Join.Me session

really could use a hand. rooted with this method just fine. all was great. but very stupidly, i didnt make a nandroid and tried flashing a rom without checking md5 sum. it was bad.
now im stuck in recovery.
im downloading a rom as we speak...figure i can flash the rom via adb. but im borrowing my sisters mac. (for root and now to fix). who can help me out by shooting me some commands? maybe talk through gtalk?

i gotta work early in the morning so help would be much appreciated!

illyadelph

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Guys i've been not only trying this method for HOURS, ive tried pc versions too and nothing works! I have my bootloader unlocked. That part is done. So when i to the terminal stage can someone run me throught EXACTLY what i do. I open it a drag the file into the terminal? because doing the whole C..... didnt work. Tried a million times. Step by step, with the actual spaces needed. And what is it suppose to show and then do? A video of this method would be so helpful for people like me. And i don't even see myself as bad at this. I've rooted 3 phones and have probably flashed over 50 kernel, roms, and radios and do not understand what i am doing wrong.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
My phone seems to be stuck on the Google logo with the unlock symbol. It's been this way for a few minutes never gets tot he boot animation, am I doing something wrong? I pulled the battery and did the process again, same result.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Guys i've been not only trying this method for HOURS, ive tried pc versions too and nothing works! I have my bootloader unlocked. That part is done. So when i to the terminal stage can someone run me throught EXACTLY what i do. I open it a drag the file into the terminal? because doing the whole C..... didnt work. Tried a million times. Step by step, with the actual spaces needed. And what is it suppose to show and then do? A video of this method would be so helpful for people like me. And i don't even see myself as bad at this. I've rooted 3 phones and have probably flashed over 50 kernel, roms, and radios and do not understand what i am doing wrong.

I'll help. You can email me at pharmerandy2010 AT gmail.com

grape43

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
GREAT POST - I was prepping to unlock on my work notebook (windows). I was very hesitant to try it on a mac (I've avoided the dark side my whole life). It took no time, no hiccups, great information. I'm new to the android community, already loving the support.