[MAC METHOD] Root,Unroot & Unlock Your VZ Galaxy Nexus

allprochris

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Guys i've been not only trying this method for HOURS, ive tried pc versions too and nothing works! I have my bootloader unlocked. That part is done. So when i to the terminal stage can someone run me throught EXACTLY what i do. I open it a drag the file into the terminal? because doing the whole C..... didnt work. Tried a million times. Step by step, with the actual spaces needed. And what is it suppose to show and then do? A video of this method would be so helpful for people like me. And i don't even see myself as bad at this. I've rooted 3 phones and have probably flashed over 50 kernel, roms, and radios and do not understand what i am doing wrong.

I'm having the exact same issue as you, have you been able to figure it out yet?

allprochris

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Guys i've been not only trying this method for HOURS, ive tried pc versions too and nothing works! I have my bootloader unlocked. That part is done. So when i to the terminal stage can someone run me throught EXACTLY what i do. I open it a drag the file into the terminal? because doing the whole C..... didnt work. Tried a million times. Step by step, with the actual spaces needed. And what is it suppose to show and then do? A video of this method would be so helpful for people like me. And i don't even see myself as bad at this. I've rooted 3 phones and have probably flashed over 50 kernel, roms, and radios and do not understand what i am doing wrong.

In case you still haven't been able to figure this out, I was able to do it by simply leaving the superboot folder in downloads rather than moving it to the desktop and opening the terminal and entering the following:

cd downloads

In cd downloads then enter
cd r3-galaxynexus-superboot then enter
chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh then enter
./install-superboot-mac.sh then enter

Hopefully this helps as I was about ready to ram my head through the wall it was so frustrating :mad:

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
yea i leave my fastboot and superboot folders on the desktop. On your macs you want to CD(change directory) to that folder. Or else you'll get errors. If your stuck at bootscreens after a battery pull. Unroot, Re-Lock and start over. It's the safest thing to do. You don't want to start in the middle because it may not fix the problem. Like i said. If you run into any issues with your phone. Just start over.

PS: Please read through the this thread. Alot of ppl have resolved their bootscreen issues. It's only 5 pages. You can have your answers without reposting them. Thank You.

Now i will probably be away till tomorrow night as i recuperate from the fact that my team just lost to a winless team. Tebow give me strentgh.

Joeyjojo

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I had no problems unlocking the bootloader, but when I try the fastboot command I get this:

ERROR: Unable to create a plug-in (e00002c7)
< waiting for device >

Also note that when I run adb devices it shows none. This was also true when I unlocked the bootloader, but that was successful.

Blue7even

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have a question for all of you more experienced members. I successfully unlocked bootloader by following the instructions. I also did exactly as instructed to root the phone. The phone went to the Google boot screen with the unlocked lock at the bottom. I took OP's advice and left it alone, but when I came back after an hour, it was stuck on the same screen. I did a battery pull, and it rebooted just fine. How do I tell if I successfully rooted? I do see superusers icon amongst my apps, but is there a more accurate way to tell/ie does superusers just indicate that I unlocked bootloader?

Also, since after the battery pull, the phone booted up successfully, does this mean that I should still unroot, lock and do the whole process over?

jamontoast1291

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have a question for all of you more experienced members. I successfully unlocked bootloader by following the instructions. I also did exactly as instructed to root the phone. The phone went to the Google boot screen with the unlocked lock at the bottom. I took OP's advice and left it alone, but when I came back after an hour, it was stuck on the same screen. I did a battery pull, and it rebooted just fine. How do I tell if I successfully rooted? I do see superusers icon amongst my apps, but is there a more accurate way to tell/ie does superusers just indicate that I unlocked bootloader?

Also, since after the battery pull, the phone booted up successfully, does this mean that I should still unroot, lock and do the whole process over?

Sounds like you're all rooted. I think the easiest way would be to just download a root-only app from the market, like the free titanium backup, and try to open it. It should check if you're rooted when it starts up. If you have superuser though I would say you're rooted.

Juststef

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
i rebooted the phone and it was stuck in the boot up animation then went black and now just says google then vibrates and goes back to google. im freaking out. please help!

EDIT: I figured it out thanks anyways though

LOL!! Been there, done that, and unfortunately, I'll probably do it again. I thought I would have a heart attack when I had managed to boot loop into the equivalence of DOS, while unable to hold a charge, and my mac stopped recognizing that my droid x was connected. I was way beyond CWR help. It took me a day and half without a phone to work through that.

I relate in a deep and profound way, the terror of my having possibly bricked my phone beyond repair and having to replace it with a $600 off contract phone.

Fortunately, it's pretty rare to permanently brick your phone through software. I will be reading this thread thoroughly in hope of not creating a repeat performance. ;) But it could totally happen again!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I had no problems unlocking the bootloader, but when I try the fastboot command I get this:

< waiting for device >

Also note that when I run adb devices it shows none. This was also true when I unlocked the bootloader, but that was successful.

make sure USB debugging is on.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
If your phone hangs on the bootscreen longer than 10 minutes. Do a battery pull. If it boots up fine after that, your all good. If it hangs again, unroot and re-lock just to be on the safe side. Then start over.

mooseknuckles

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for all of their tips, I was able to figure out my root issue by downloading from the second source above and leaving the file in my d/l folder. Cheers!

Last edited:

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Trying to unlock the bootloader... i enter the command into the terminal and I get "error: device not found"

help please?

Make sure USB debugging is turned on. Before you unlock the bootloader. You should have been able to put your phone into fastboot through terminal. If you didn't make sure your phone is recognized.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
hmm. lets make sure your all caught up.

You downloaded the file. You extract adb-fastboot to your desktop. Make sure the folder name is " adb-fastboot "

You enter the first code. Your phone should reboot into the bootloader.

Then you enter the second code.

Your phone should give you the option to unlock. Then you should be good.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
My phone has been running unrooted for the past 2 days. I just re-ran this method and i unlocked and rooted in less than 10 minutes. So i know the method is fine.

Jonny Wishbone

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
WOOOTTTT!!!!

Ive had my gnex since launch and have been dieing to root and add a new rom. Unfortunatly my old pc wouldn't boot up any more. This guide is a godsend.

:):):):):):):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech