Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Default Re: [MAC METHOD] Root,Unroot & Unlock Your VZ Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by TitansJonne View Post
    no. the folder has adb inside. Macs need no drivers. I would try another usb cord or maybe a different computer?
    I was using the usb cord from my Droid X and my Mac wouldn't recognize my phone. So i decided to try the usb cord I got with GNex and it worked fine. So yes Titans you are correct.

Is anyone able to use this method to unlock and root with getting boot loops and a battery pull? I want to take the plunge but can't afford to brick my phone. I rooted my EVO and Nexus S 4G but those seem easy compared to this. Thanks!

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiDude View Post
    Is anyone able to use this method to unlock and root with getting boot loops and a battery pull? I want to take the plunge but can't afford to brick my phone. I rooted my EVO and Nexus S 4G but those seem easy compared to this. Thanks!
    Its not hard on a mac really, I only experienced a hang on the google screen, waited 10 minutes and pulled battery, rebooted and installed rom manager.

the easiest way to do this is to unlock by

cd <Folder where you extracted the files>

fastboot oem unlock

then boot normally, then turn off, and return to bootloader manually. Off then hold volume keys and power.
    Once there just boot the superboot image.

fastboot boot <boot.superboot.img>

<> = drag and drop the folder or file to cd or boot. You do not need the chmod +x any files, I had trouble with that command once and found it to be unnecessary.

if it hangs for more than 15 minutes, it should be safe to pull the battery and restart, after that it should be quick. once booted download rom manager to flash CWM.
    Last edited by kdo23; 01-04-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

After I have unlocked and rooted, downloaded rom manager and backed up to CWM, do i NEED to download anything else before flashing a rom? What about my settings and such? Is it like unlocking the bootloader where i will need to do everything over to how i like it? Thanks

I have gone through and unlocked the bootloader no problem. However I am having trouble with rooting it. I am getting a little confusued while watching the Root video. Below is the code I've put in.

Bryan-MacBook:~ Bryan$ cd /Users/Bryan/Desktop/Android\ Files/Nexus/adb-fastboot
    Bryan-MacBook:adb-fastboot Bryan$ ./fastboot recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img
    usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
    update <filename> reflash device from update.zip
    flashall flash boot + recovery + system
    flash <partition> [ <filename> ] write a file to a flash partition
    erase <partition> erase a flash partition
    getvar <variable> display a bootloader variable
    boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] download and boot kernel
    flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] create bootimage and flash it
    devices list all connected devices
    reboot reboot device normally
    reboot-bootloader reboot device into bootloader

options:
    -w erase userdata and cache
    -s <serial number> specify device serial number
    -p <product> specify product name
    -c <cmdline> override kernel commandline
    -i <vendor id> specify a custom USB vendor id
    Bryan-MacBook:adb-fastboot Bryan$ ./adb reboot recovery
    * daemon not running. starting it now *
    * daemon started successfully *
    Bryan-MacBook:adb-fastboot Bryan$ chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh
    chmod: install-superboot-mac.sh: No such file or directory

After putting the 'su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip' to the nexus using Android Transfer, I type the './adb reboot recovery' the screen goes blank and then brings up the android guy with chest open and a RED ( ! ) over the chest. About 30 seconds later the phone boots up and I have no root!
    Then I try to put in ' chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' and it will show 'chmod: install-superboot-mac.sh: No such file or directory'

What steps did I miss or not type right?

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bak9799 View Post
    I have gone through and unlocked the bootloader no problem. However I am having trouble with rooting it. I am getting a little confusued while watching the Root video. Below is the code I've put in.

Bryan-MacBook:~ Bryan$ cd /Users/Bryan/Desktop/Android\ Files/Nexus/adb-fastboot
    Bryan-MacBook:adb-fastboot Bryan$ ./fastboot recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img
    usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
    update <filename> reflash device from update.zip
    flashall flash boot + recovery + system
    flash <partition> [ <filename> ] write a file to a flash partition
    erase <partition> erase a flash partition
    getvar <variable> display a bootloader variable
    boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] download and boot kernel
    flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] create bootimage and flash it
    devices list all connected devices
    reboot reboot device normally
    reboot-bootloader reboot device into bootloader

options:
    -w erase userdata and cache
    -s <serial number> specify device serial number
    -p <product> specify product name
    -c <cmdline> override kernel commandline
    -i <vendor id> specify a custom USB vendor id
    Bryan-MacBook:adb-fastboot Bryan$ ./adb reboot recovery
    * daemon not running. starting it now *
    * daemon started successfully *
    Bryan-MacBook:adb-fastboot Bryan$ chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh
    chmod: install-superboot-mac.sh: No such file or directory

After putting the 'su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip' to the nexus using Android Transfer, I type the './adb reboot recovery' the screen goes blank and then brings up the android guy with chest open and a RED ( ! ) over the chest. About 30 seconds later the phone boots up and I have no root!
    Then I try to put in ' chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' and it will show 'chmod: install-superboot-mac.sh: No such file or directory'

What steps did I miss or not type right?
    Quote Originally Posted by kdo23 View Post
    Its not hard on a mac really, I only experienced a hang on the google screen, waited 10 minutes and pulled battery, rebooted and installed rom manager.

the easiest way to do this is to unlock by

cd <Folder where you extracted the files>

fastboot oem unlock

then boot normally, then turn off, and return to bootloader manually. Off then hold volume keys and power.
    Once there just boot the superboot image.

fastboot boot <boot.superboot.img>

<> = drag and drop the folder or file to cd or boot. You do not need the chmod +x any files, I had trouble with that command once and found it to be unnecessary.

if it hangs for more than 15 minutes, it should be safe to pull the battery and restart, after that it should be quick. once booted download rom manager to flash CWM.
    Like I said the chmod command is not needed. just do this from the superboot folder, which you can download from the first page of this thread.

fastboot boot boot.superboot.img

if it doesn't reboot, do it yourself and wait a 15 minutes. If it hangs for the whole 15 minutes pull battery and reboot, and viola you are rooted. Go get rom manager and back up the rom. Go get axiom because its the best.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NateMob@gmail.com View Post
    After I have unlocked and rooted, downloaded rom manager and backed up to CWM, do i NEED to download anything else before flashing a rom? What about my settings and such? Is it like unlocking the bootloader where i will need to do everything over to how i like it? Thanks
    yeah pretty much. if you have titanium you can get app data back, but only use for user apps and only if the data is something like game progress i.e. angry birds. If you install nova launcher it you can back up your layout and such but I have yet to really try it. give it a whirl though if you like.

I flash so many roms now though that set up is second nature, it only takes a few minutes to set up the home screens. The mods in many of these roms mixed with bug fixes are very much worth it.
    Thanked by:

So..is there a link for the ADB-Fastboot? The only link that I see in the description is for Superboot, but then he encourages you to do Fastboot. ???

Quote Originally Posted by kdo23 View Post
    Like I said the chmod command is not needed. just do this from the superboot folder, which you can download from the first page of this thread.

fastboot boot boot.superboot.img

if it doesn't reboot, do it yourself and wait a 15 minutes. If it hangs for the whole 15 minutes pull battery and reboot, and viola you are rooted. Go get rom manager and back up the rom. Go get axiom because its the best.
    I'll give it a try. If I use the r3-galaxynexus-superboot, will I need to root every time I want a new ROM? I got a little confused with the video.

Thanks!

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by riverjao View Post
    So..is there a link for the ADB-Fastboot? The only link that I see in the description is for Superboot, but then he encourages you to do Fastboot. ???
    Its the link he uses in the unlocking your bootloader section. Right near the top.

Worked great!

Only had a hand up on the Goog screen after root, let it sit for 15 minutes and did a battery pull. All set!

Registered to this community to say thank you. It all worked out great with no hiccups. Hardest part was the directory for the cd part.

Worked flawlessly for me. Thanks!

never mind. pulled battery and it started up fine!
    Last edited by beachbumdeac; 01-14-2012 at 03:52 PM.

This was the easiest and quickest root that I have ever done!! THANK YOU!!!!

How long is a long time to wait for the phone to come out of the black screen with the Google logo, after attempting to root the phone? I just got a new Nexus after my old one's touchscreen died. The last one worked great, this one I've been waiting 1/2 hour. Any tips?

Thanks,

David

I just did the unlock/root on my phone this morning. After the root the phone stayed on the Google logo for 20 minutes until I read in a thread somewhere that disconnecting the USB cable could help the situation. I did that and waited another 15 minutes (I really had nothing better to do ) and with it still at the Google logo I just pulled the battery, waited a minute, put battery back in and booted up the phone like normal, and it booted fine, except that it was now rooted with superuser installed

I could really do with some help. I've followed the process as above, and after typing ./install-superboot-mac.sh in terminal, my phone rebooted as it should, but got stuck in a boot loop, loading the black Google screen with the lock logo every ten or so seconds.

If I remove the battery I can reboot into Bootloader mode, and it says the bootloader status is unlocked. But I can't flash a stock image as it says device not found, and following the sequence above again just puts me back into a bootloop.

Any help would be much appreciated.

It's really a shame that no one in the Android community seems to give a crap about us Mac users.

Update to my earlier issue - The bootloader screen states "FASTBOOT MODE - NO BOOT OR RECOVERY IMG". I assume this is the issue and it what is causing the boot loop. How do I flash a boot or recovery image? I've downloaded the Android 4.0.2 (ICL53F) files from google code, but following the instructions in the OP gives a file not found error.
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by cliche guevara View Post
    Update to my earlier issue - The bootloader screen states "FASTBOOT MODE - NO BOOT OR RECOVERY IMG". I assume this is the issue and it what is causing the boot loop. How do I flash a boot or recovery image? I've downloaded the Android 4.0.2 (ICL53F) files from google code, but following the instructions in the OP gives a file not found error.
    Did you download the files linked in the OP?
    You need to unlock the bootloader in step one, and then in step two you flash superboot.

i think that's where you're at right?

so, did you go thru with all the steps in the op with the designated files that are linked there?

With all the brainiacs around here can no one help this poor guy out? Come on, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by zero neck View Post
    Did you download the files linked in the OP?
    You need to unlock the bootloader in step one, and then in step two you flash superboot.

i think that's where you're at right?

so, did you go thru with all the steps in the op with the designated files that are linked there?
    I followed the instructions exactly as in the OP. I've checked and double checked, and run through it a couple more times. No joy. Stuck in perpetual boot loop hell.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #124  
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

Hello all. Happy to see the guide is still working good for most users. Im on the Rezound now but im still on the forums if any of you need help. Just PM me.
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays
    Thanked by:

ok on the rooting the phone I'm getting lost on the step where you said to boot the phone and drag and drop using android file transfer, what I'm i dragging and dropping and where? sorry I'm new to droid just got mine yesterday and this is all like a new language to me
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast