[MAC METHOD] Root,Unroot & Unlock Your VZ Galaxy Nexus

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
how do i get roms on the gnex with a mac?

Are you rooted?

If so, download the Android File Transfer app Android.com

Find your rom and the corresponding google apps (GAPPS) file

Make sure you have Rom Manager installed as well as installed/flashed Clockwork Mod Recovery

And then follow the instructions here.

j.glik14

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
where are the instructions?
and i factory data reset my phone and its taking a long time to reboot. should i just take out he battery and restart it?

bobthebob

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
this is a little OT - but I was NEVER able to get the unlock/root procedure to work on my Mac.
after several fruitless attempts I dusted off my old HP netbook and voila - I was done in 30 min.

so - whatever, right? well the problem is that I use my MBP as my development device - and try as I might I CANNOT get the Gnex to show up as an adb device!!

no amount of rebooting, rebooting the adb server, trying fastboot or anything else has gotten the stupid little thing to show up... which means I'm SOL trying to test out the new ICS apps I'm building on it.

the Android Transfer utility shows up every time I connect, so the Mac does 'see' the Gnex on some level - just not as an adb device.

anyone have an explanation? or even better a solution?

cheers.

trentreed

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping you can point me in the right direction to properly set up adb on my new mac. I am familiar with windows and the environmental properties but cant seem to understand it on a mac. This is my first mac and there are so many tutorials that are somewhat different I don't know which one to trust.
Thanks in advance

EDIT: never mind i have it working could not be any easier gotta love a Mac......

Last edited:

3ibs

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Will lthis method work on a GSM GNex?

Edit: I tried and it worked. Thanks!

What now though? Complete noob to android and rooting. I installed titanium and backed up.

Last edited:

daptronic

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to flash the boot image... when I run install-superboot-mac.sh, I get the message "downloading 'boot.img' ..." and it just stays there forever.

Any suggestions? How long is that step supposed to take?

ThevItalVice420

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I NEED HELP!

im sort of a noob when it comes to rooting android, but The galaxy nexus was the first phone Ive rooted. Im trying to relock it and unroot it because Ive found that my phone was actually slower after rooting. Im on a macbook pro and I had no problems rooting, however when I try to do the first step of unrooting it doesnt work.

Ive got a new stock image of ICS 4.0.2 and the adb-fastboot files needed for rooting. i put the image files into the rooting folder but when i plug in my phone, open terminal and enter the first code to reboot bootloader, it says that no device can be found. Ive rebooted my phone, unplugged it countless times and android file transfer even works but terminal can find my device.

please help?!?!

ckyo01

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am trying to unroot my Galaxy Nexus because it seems to be bricked-I can't get past the opening Google splash screen anymore. I am a complete noob at this rooting business, any help would be awesome.

Again, I attempted to unroot the phone by using the steps outlined in this thread, but when I put the command in the terminal it says "device not found", and I assume that this is because I am trying it while the phone is on the opening splash screen or in bootloader.

How can I make the computer recognize the device? Or, is there a way that I can access the phone's sd card from my computer while the phone is plugged in via USB? Thanks!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am trying to unroot my Galaxy Nexus because it seems to be bricked-I can't get past the opening Google splash screen anymore. I am a complete noob at this rooting business, any help would be awesome.

Again, I attempted to unroot the phone by using the steps outlined in this thread, but when I put the command in the terminal it says "device not found", and I assume that this is because I am trying it while the phone is on the opening splash screen or in bootloader.

How can I make the computer recognize the device? Or, is there a way that I can access the phone's sd card from my computer while the phone is plugged in via USB? Thanks!

Per your thread, you got this rooted, correct?

Also, I used an alternative guide that seemed much simpler but has the same desired effects.

mooseknuckles

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

UNROOT
1) Download the latest stock image( i will leave finding that image to you since this post can become outdated) 2) Unzip the files, and place the images into the adb-fastboot folder you created on your desktop above. 3) Open a terminal and use the following commands: Code: ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/adb reboot bootloader 4) Wait for bootloader to reboot on phone. 5) Then, in terminal use the following commands: ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot flash boot ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/boot.img ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot flash system ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/system.img ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot flash recovery ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/recovery.img ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot flash userdata ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/userdata.img ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot erase cache ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot oem lock 6) Reboot to System, and you should be returned to Stock and Unrooted

All these post have been copied from others post. I only take credit for updating them for this thread. Big Thanks to: nowens0520, Richard Gutierrez, paulobrien and Andrew Ruffolo for the videos.

I must return my phone to VZW for warranty issues and I am unable to locate the "latest stock image" and all that is required for this process. I would appreciate ANY and ALL help.

Thank you in advance!

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: mooseknuckles

kevinC1124

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Im having issues with this im not sure why and hopefully you can help. I keep getting this when I enter the first line after the phone goes into bootloader:

Computer:~ Kevin$ ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot flash boot~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/boot.img
unknown partition 'boot~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/boot.img'
error: cannot determine image filename for 'boot~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/boot.img'

not sure what im doing wrong. Please Help! Thank you in advance!

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Im having issues with this im not sure why and hopefully you can help. I keep getting this when I enter the first line after the phone goes into bootloader:

Computer:~ Kevin$ ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot flash boot~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/boot.img
unknown partition 'boot~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/boot.img'
error: cannot determine image filename for 'boot~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/boot.img'

not sure what im doing wrong. Please Help! Thank you in advance!

Kevin - can you clarify what you are trying to do?

sounds like you're trying to unroot can you confirm that?

If that's the case, sounds like you may have the file in the wrong folder possibly. It will have to be unzipped and in the adb-fastboot folder you have created.

If you're not trying to unroot, i believe you are using the wrong commands.

Please elaborate and we'll get ya some help