[MAC METHOD] Root,Unroot & Unlock Your VZ Galaxy Nexus

wakeborder556

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
In case you still haven't been able to figure this out, I was able to do it by simply leaving the superboot folder in downloads rather than moving it to the desktop and opening the terminal and entering the following:

cd downloads

In cd downloads then enter
cd r3-galaxynexus-superboot then enter
chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh then enter
./install-superboot-mac.sh then enter

Hopefully this helps as I was about ready to ram my head through the wall it was so frustrating :mad:

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you thank you thank you

was stuck for an hour

edwardpmccain

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
it seems that I'm having some issues with unrooting and locking my nexus. I have the the android sdk and the recovery image downloaded but can't get the commands to work in terminal. please help

sorry I'm a noob with rooting and terminal so I'm learning as i go

thanks in advance

JMac24#AC

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Well. My flawless install went flawed! I made a nand. No problem. Poking along a few days later I decide I will try 4.0.3. Go to backup and get a Superuser has stopped, phone reboots to recovery (not clockwork). Uninstalled the SU update I had, tried again. No go, Pushed it to phone again. Got one backup and then same SU has stopped. So I found on market there is a SU update checker due to some signature issues. It said everything is peachy, forced the fix again. Same SU error....... I am going to take it back to stock image and re root unless anyone has a suggestion?

Thanks!

sprinkles.johnson

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
followed directions exactly. stuck on google screen (white letters) and an unlocked pad lock at the bottom for about 15 minutes. How long does it take? When should i get worried?

adcustom

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I followed all directions to a T and after installing superboot my phone will get past the Google logo, but then after 2-3 seconds of the animation, it reboots. It keeps doing that over and over for the past 10 minutes. What should I do?

Edit: Nevermind. I'm fine. I just locked the bootloader and unlocked it again. Now I'm good to go.

Last edited:

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
The phone should not hang at the google screen for more than 10 minutes. If it does, do a battery pull. If that doesn't fix it. Then re-lock and start over.

Juststef

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Thank you your guide helped a great deal.

Sooo...How do we reverse the process on our? As I'm positive at sometime in the near future, I will either brick my phone or return everything back to factory settings.

Thank You

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

federalreserve

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys! I used your method of rooting via superboot and it worked well. I pulled my battery on a Verizon LTE Nexus after about 20 min, restarted, and now I have Superuser and root.

Juststef

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if you could include a desktop image of your terminal script? This way we can see exactly how it looks on you screen.

As I have minimal experience at scripting and I know I'm not alone, it would be extra helpful to always include when to use the enter key and the space key on the keyboard.

When viewing multiple lines of script, it's not always clear if it's the actual screen that we're using, was the enter key used, or the space key. Isn't there a space needed after the cd command? Example; cd (click space key), followed by the path to the file.

The instructions for rerooting the phone, does that include the bootloader? Is it the sdk image file we need to reroot? Although you refer to the image file changing, could you suggest a link that you would use to check for updates?

Cbarry05

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the upload but i freaked out and might have pulled the battery too soon. My mac wont recognize my nexus. Im a newbie and have no idea what im doing. Please help im angry and embarrassed :mad:

Juststef

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the upload but i freaked out and might have pulled the battery too soon. My mac wont recognize my nexus. Im a newbie and have no idea what im doing. Please help im angry and embarrassed :mad:

I don't know if this will help your mac recognize your GN. Download android file transfer. Just Google it. Launch the application and plug in your phone with the usb cable. Your phone will appear as if it's an additional drive on your desktop.

Don't freak out. Almost anything you do to your phone in terms of software can be reversed. It might take a while with trial and error. Between yourself and fellow forum members, it will all work out.

We were all new to this at some point. No need to be embarrassed. It's between you, a computer, a phone, and a bunch of people who you're not likely to meet.;)

seanubis

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I followed this procedure and successfully unlocked and rooted my GN, but doing so seems to have also wiped my apps and data.

I've only had the phone a couple of days, so it's not a big deal for me to set everything up again, but.... was the reset expected? I didn't see anything in these steps that mentioned data loss.

Juststef

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I followed this procedure and successfully unlocked and rooted my GN, but doing so seems to have also wiped my apps and data.

I've only had the phone a couple of days, so it's not a big deal for me to set everything up again, but.... was the reset expected? I didn't see anything in these steps that mentioned data loss.

Yes, it's expected. I forgot about that part too. Before you any changes to your phone, you should always backup your apps and corresponding data.

I don't recall where it's written, but after the fact, I was like"ooh yeah".

I vaguely recall one of my reasons for rooting earlier than my original intention of staying on stock for a while, was the ability to do a system backup. It would have been frustrating to take the time to set up my phone the way I wanted it and lose it without the ability to recover, the first time I flashed a rom.

Juststef

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
UNROOT
1) Download the latest stock image( i will leave finding that image to you since this post can become outdated) 2) Unzip the files, and place the images into the adb-fastboot folder you created on your desktop above. 3) Open a terminal and use the following commands: Code: ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/adb reboot bootloader
UNROOT
Do I click on the enter key or space key on my keyboard between each command?
4) Wait for bootloader to reboot on phone. 5) Then, in terminal use the following commands: ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot flash boot ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/boot.img
~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot flash system ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/system.img
Enter or space key?
~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot flash recovery ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/recovery.img
Space or Enter key?
~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot flash userdata ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/userdata.img
Enter or Space key?
~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot erase cache
Space or Enter key?
~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot oem lock 6) Reboot to System, and you should be returned to Stock and Unrooted
All these post have been copied from others post. I only take credit for updating them for this thread. Big Thanks to:

nowens0520, Richard Gutierrez and paulobrien

Please clarify.

Thank You.

jpbass7

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: zero neck

Juststef

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I found this excellent video tutorial on utube for returning the nexus back to stock on a mac. Though the guy has a nexus s, it's the same process as in the OP. The guy who made the video also has a rooting on a mac video tutorial as well.

http://m.youtube.com/#/profile?desktop_uri=%2Fuser%2Festeway619&help=False&channel_id=0&livestreaming_tutorial=False&ytsession=%7B%7D&start=0&user=esteway619&tab=&autoplay=True&gl=US

Last edited: