[MAC METHOD] Root,Unroot & Unlock Your VZ Galaxy Nexus

NJ Valid#AC

May 26, 2011
Visit site
no. the folder has adb inside. Macs need no drivers. I would try another usb cord or maybe a different computer?

I was using the usb cord from my Droid X and my Mac wouldn't recognize my phone. So i decided to try the usb cord I got with GNex and it worked fine. So yes Titans you are correct. :)

LocationDudeNYC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone able to use this method to unlock and root with getting boot loops and a battery pull? I want to take the plunge but can't afford to brick my phone. I rooted my EVO and Nexus S 4G but those seem easy compared to this. Thanks!

kdo23

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone able to use this method to unlock and root with getting boot loops and a battery pull? I want to take the plunge but can't afford to brick my phone. I rooted my EVO and Nexus S 4G but those seem easy compared to this. Thanks!

Its not hard on a mac really, I only experienced a hang on the google screen, waited 10 minutes and pulled battery, rebooted and installed rom manager.

the easiest way to do this is to unlock by

cd <Folder where you extracted the files>

fastboot oem unlock

then boot normally, then turn off, and return to bootloader manually. Off then hold volume keys and power.
Once there just boot the superboot image.

fastboot boot <boot.superboot.img>

<> = drag and drop the folder or file to cd or boot. You do not need the chmod +x any files, I had trouble with that command once and found it to be unnecessary.

if it hangs for more than 15 minutes, it should be safe to pull the battery and restart, after that it should be quick. once booted download rom manager to flash CWM.

Last edited:

NateDizzy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
After I have unlocked and rooted, downloaded rom manager and backed up to CWM, do i NEED to download anything else before flashing a rom? What about my settings and such? Is it like unlocking the bootloader where i will need to do everything over to how i like it? Thanks

bak9799

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I have gone through and unlocked the bootloader no problem. However I am having trouble with rooting it. I am getting a little confusued while watching the Root video. Below is the code I've put in.

Bryan-MacBook:~ Bryan$ cd /Users/Bryan/Desktop/Android\ Files/Nexus/adb-fastboot
Bryan-MacBook:adb-fastboot Bryan$ ./fastboot recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
update <filename> reflash device from update.zip
flashall flash boot + recovery + system
flash <partition> [ <filename> ] write a file to a flash partition
erase <partition> erase a flash partition
getvar <variable> display a bootloader variable
boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] download and boot kernel
flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] create bootimage and flash it
devices list all connected devices
reboot reboot device normally
reboot-bootloader reboot device into bootloader

options:
-w erase userdata and cache
-s <serial number> specify device serial number
-p <product> specify product name
-c <cmdline> override kernel commandline
-i <vendor id> specify a custom USB vendor id
Bryan-MacBook:adb-fastboot Bryan$ ./adb reboot recovery
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
Bryan-MacBook:adb-fastboot Bryan$ chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh
chmod: install-superboot-mac.sh: No such file or directory

After putting the 'su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip' to the nexus using Android Transfer, I type the './adb reboot recovery' the screen goes blank and then brings up the android guy with chest open and a RED ( ! ) over the chest. About 30 seconds later the phone boots up and I have no root!
Then I try to put in ' chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' and it will show 'chmod: install-superboot-mac.sh: No such file or directory'

What steps did I miss or not type right?

kdo23

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I have gone through and unlocked the bootloader no problem. However I am having trouble with rooting it. I am getting a little confusued while watching the Root video. Below is the code I've put in.

Bryan-MacBook:~ Bryan$ cd /Users/Bryan/Desktop/Android\ Files/Nexus/adb-fastboot
Bryan-MacBook:adb-fastboot Bryan$ ./fastboot recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
update <filename> reflash device from update.zip
flashall flash boot + recovery + system
flash <partition> [ <filename> ] write a file to a flash partition
erase <partition> erase a flash partition
getvar <variable> display a bootloader variable
boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] download and boot kernel
flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] create bootimage and flash it
devices list all connected devices
reboot reboot device normally
reboot-bootloader reboot device into bootloader

options:
-w erase userdata and cache
-s <serial number> specify device serial number
-p <product> specify product name
-c <cmdline> override kernel commandline
-i <vendor id> specify a custom USB vendor id
Bryan-MacBook:adb-fastboot Bryan$ ./adb reboot recovery
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
Bryan-MacBook:adb-fastboot Bryan$ chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh
chmod: install-superboot-mac.sh: No such file or directory

After putting the 'su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip' to the nexus using Android Transfer, I type the './adb reboot recovery' the screen goes blank and then brings up the android guy with chest open and a RED ( ! ) over the chest. About 30 seconds later the phone boots up and I have no root!
Then I try to put in ' chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' and it will show 'chmod: install-superboot-mac.sh: No such file or directory'

What steps did I miss or not type right?

Its not hard on a mac really, I only experienced a hang on the google screen, waited 10 minutes and pulled battery, rebooted and installed rom manager.

the easiest way to do this is to unlock by

cd <Folder where you extracted the files>

fastboot oem unlock

then boot normally, then turn off, and return to bootloader manually. Off then hold volume keys and power.
Once there just boot the superboot image.

fastboot boot <boot.superboot.img>

<> = drag and drop the folder or file to cd or boot. You do not need the chmod +x any files, I had trouble with that command once and found it to be unnecessary.

if it hangs for more than 15 minutes, it should be safe to pull the battery and restart, after that it should be quick. once booted download rom manager to flash CWM.

Like I said the chmod command is not needed. just do this from the superboot folder, which you can download from the first page of this thread.

fastboot boot boot.superboot.img

if it doesn't reboot, do it yourself and wait a 15 minutes. If it hangs for the whole 15 minutes pull battery and reboot, and viola you are rooted. Go get rom manager and back up the rom. Go get axiom because its the best.

Reactions: bak9799

kdo23

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
After I have unlocked and rooted, downloaded rom manager and backed up to CWM, do i NEED to download anything else before flashing a rom? What about my settings and such? Is it like unlocking the bootloader where i will need to do everything over to how i like it? Thanks

yeah pretty much. if you have titanium you can get app data back, but only use for user apps and only if the data is something like game progress i.e. angry birds. If you install nova launcher it you can back up your layout and such but I have yet to really try it. give it a whirl though if you like.

I flash so many roms now though that set up is second nature, it only takes a few minutes to set up the home screens. The mods in many of these roms mixed with bug fixes are very much worth it.

Reactions: NateDizzy

riverjao

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So..is there a link for the ADB-Fastboot? The only link that I see in the description is for Superboot, but then he encourages you to do Fastboot. ???

bak9799

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Like I said the chmod command is not needed. just do this from the superboot folder, which you can download from the first page of this thread.

fastboot boot boot.superboot.img

if it doesn't reboot, do it yourself and wait a 15 minutes. If it hangs for the whole 15 minutes pull battery and reboot, and viola you are rooted. Go get rom manager and back up the rom. Go get axiom because its the best.

I'll give it a try. If I use the r3-galaxynexus-superboot, will I need to root every time I want a new ROM? I got a little confused with the video.

Thanks!

j0esway

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Registered to this community to say thank you. It all worked out great with no hiccups. Hardest part was the directory for the cd part.

david_van_couvering

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
How long is a long time to wait for the phone to come out of the black screen with the Google logo, after attempting to root the phone? I just got a new Nexus after my old one's touchscreen died. The last one worked great, this one I've been waiting 1/2 hour. Any tips?

Thanks,

David

ncallender

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I just did the unlock/root on my phone this morning. After the root the phone stayed on the Google logo for 20 minutes until I read in a thread somewhere that disconnecting the USB cable could help the situation. I did that and waited another 15 minutes (I really had nothing better to do :p ) and with it still at the Google logo I just pulled the battery, waited a minute, put battery back in and booted up the phone like normal, and it booted fine, except that it was now rooted with superuser installed :D

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I could really do with some help. I've followed the process as above, and after typing ./install-superboot-mac.sh in terminal, my phone rebooted as it should, but got stuck in a boot loop, loading the black Google screen with the lock logo every ten or so seconds.

If I remove the battery I can reboot into Bootloader mode, and it says the bootloader status is unlocked. But I can't flash a stock image as it says device not found, and following the sequence above again just puts me back into a bootloop.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Update to my earlier issue - The bootloader screen states "FASTBOOT MODE - NO BOOT OR RECOVERY IMG". I assume this is the issue and it what is causing the boot loop. How do I flash a boot or recovery image? I've downloaded the Android 4.0.2 (ICL53F) files from google code, but following the instructions in the OP gives a file not found error.