Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Want to root and unlock

I appologize if this has already been addressed. As soon as I got my GN I set up all my screens and apps. I did it all while on breaks at work. When I got home I looked at these forums with instructions on how to root and unlock the bootloader, but I also saw that I would lose all my data and everything else. Is their any way around losing everything and still rooting and unlocking? What about in the future? After getting an OTA I read that you might lose root, would this also mean I would have to reset everything again?

Default Re: Want to root and unlock

You loose files on bootloader unlock, not root. And you only have to unlock once. Even if root is lost, it can be added fine.

I'd just unlock and wipe. Better do it now, while you don't have thousands of files on there. Set you back a couple hours.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by davelm View Post
    You loose files on bootloader unlock, not root. And you only have to unlock once. Even if root is lost, it can be added fine.

I'd just unlock and wipe. Better do it now, while you don't have thousands of files on there. Set you back a couple hours.
    thanks, thats what I did. Didnt take me long cause I already knew how I liked it, what back up do you use?

I haven't really backed up anything yet. I used titanium backup on my DroidX and will for this as well. Scheduled to backup every morning.

Then Rom Manager full system backup every couple days to be extra safe.