Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xelhabb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for now

Default Why would I want to root and install a custom ROM?

I would spend the time learning how to do this if it would be worth it. How does it make the phone better?

Default Re: Why would I want to root and install a custom ROM?

Go here: and see all the ROMS already available (even kernels) for the LTE G-Nex, all in their early stages of development. It will continue to get better.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by reflekt2099 View Post
    Go here: and see all the ROMS already available (even kernels) for the LTE G-Nex, all in their early stages of development. It will continue to get better.
    Thanks, that is a lot of info to absorb! If you have the time, could you give me a high level summary or examples of things that I would be able to do quicker or otherwise better than if I left the OS alone? Thanks.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    3.0.8-gaaa2611, unlocked

CarryMe,

YES, you should. Of the many reasons one is that it really tricks out the phone performance. Gives you versatility on all areas.

I would suggest you wait a month or two for the major kinks to be worked out of ICS. There has already been 2 platform changes. So scope out the ROMs for now, read all about them and I would say a month or two into the new year would be a good time. Get to know the phone in stock form and you will have a better appreciation for the ROM of choice.

Welcome to Android heaven!
    Nextel Flips > Motorola Slider > Blackberry Storm 9530 > Motorola Droid X > Galaxy Nexus
    SuperChargedJ likes this.

A custom ROM is a developer's set of improvements to stock experience. So it can make the phone better in many ways, UX improvements, speed tweak, new features, etc. Whatever the developer wants to add in to the ROM. You gotta find one you like.

I second the advice that you should wait. I've only see one custom ROM out for the GNex LTE version and it's good but it's not much different than stock. Just make sure you do your research...since these things are created by developers they do not go through all the same Q/A that stock ROMs do so you are likely at some point to run into issues.
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker

Yes, it's always safer to wait for the major bugs/fixes to be mitigated first (every ROM always goes through countless revisions and improvements). However, I tend to install every revision that comes out. but that's part of the fun of it.

plus, the galaxy nexus is darn near unbrickable, thanks for the stock recoveries made available by Google.

for now though, i'd set your phone up to be ready to flash any ROM of your choosing in the near future. So, your first steps would be to unlock the bootloader, root, and then install Clockwork Mod Recovery.

Step 1 (unlock bootloader and root): [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Step 2 (flash ClockworkMod Recovery):

these two guides are SUPER easy to install and follow
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

Yea imo so far the best ROM out is Android Revolution. But im back to stock. Until CM9 comes out, i think im gonna hold off on ROMS. But that's the best thing about stock android(Nexus). While everyone on other phones are dying for a stable ICS ROM. We can wait for one since we have the stock image anyways.
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays

Quote Originally Posted by TitansJonne View Post
    Yea imo so far the best ROM out is Android Revolution. But im back to stock. Until CM9 comes out, i think im gonna hold off on ROMS. But that's the best thing about stock android(Nexus). While everyone on other phones are dying for a stable ICS ROM. We can wait for one since we have the stock image anyways.
    yeah i've been using revolution too, your're right it's just OK...not much to differentiate it from stock yet but that'll change.

What you also find as you try more and more ROMs is that you'll hopefully find a developer you like and you can start to follow their work. On the OG Droid and Nexus S I really liked the Bugless Beast ROMs by Peter Alfonso so I'm really hoping he start deving for the Galaxy Nexus, I think i heard he will.

Flashing roms is no doubt fun. I did a bunch of custom ROM reviews for AC for the Nexus S 4G so when we get a few more established ones I'll ask Jerry if he wants me to continue with that for the Galaxy Nexus LTE.
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker