Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Default Re: [Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy N

Hey Cyber, I did what your green post said to reflash CWM and rename file in root explorer and everything. However, whenever I go to boot recovery it still does the same thing! Exclamation mark. How do I prevent this from happening again?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

make sure that file is named correctly and that you check RW/RO. Also follow the steps in the exact order... I'm guessing you may have not hit Read/Write before renaming the file or didn't reboot in between the steps.

here is a dumb question, but the GN on verizon is it CDMA or GSM?

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by cancerousbull View Post
    here is a dumb question, but the GN on verizon is it CDMA or GSM?
    The Verizon version is CDMA.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Verizon is CDMA and the only dumb question is one not asked
    gnr_2 likes this.

thanks!

ROM
    Yack 1.2

Thanks for the guide but I hace one question. Hope this is not a stupid question. How wil this backup be saved/stored? Will it be lost when wiping data? My DX had a SD card to store backups on my GNex does not.

Thanks again - you rock!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

If you mean before you unlock the bootloader... then you would need to transfer your stuff over to your computer. There's no externel SD card but when you hook the phone up to the computer... the internal storage is recognized as a disc drive, same as a SD card would.

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Thanks for this write-up. Some ROMs require the the following steps:

1) Wipe data/Factory reset
    2) Format /System under Mounts And Storage
    3) Flash ROM

Do you know what step 2 does? Would we be able to do this from CWM? I would imagine so, because it doesn't make sense to me to do a factory reset, boot the phone, format /System, then again load CWM and install the ROM.

One ROM that requires this for example:
    ||ROM| |AXI0M v2.1 | |LKEXPV2 KERNEL | |12/26/2011|

Edit: Cyber Warrior, I see that you are actually running AXI0M 2.1 on your phone...did you follow that step?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amgala View Post
    Thanks for this write-up. Some ROMs require the the following steps:

1) Wipe data/Factory reset
    2) Format /System under Mounts And Storage
    3) Flash ROM

Do you know what step 2 does? Would we be able to do this from CWM? I would imagine so, because it doesn't make sense to me to do a factory reset, boot the phone, format /System, then again load CWM and install the ROM.

One ROM that requires this for example:
    ||ROM| |AXI0M v2.1 | |LKEXPV2 KERNEL | |12/26/2011|

Edit: Cyber Warrior, I see that you are actually running AXI0M 2.1 on your phone...did you follow that step?
    Yes... you can get away without doing it but might as well go by the devs instructions.

So.. you would
    Boot into recovery (CWM)
    Wipe data/factory reset
    Wipe cache partition
    Wipe dalvik cache
    Mount system
    Install from SD card
    Choose zip from SD card
    Pick AXI0M
    When done loading... reboot phone.

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Thanks!

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Once you flash the new ROM, what do you need to do to your phone? do you need to reinstall your apps? Enter gmail addresses again for it to load your emails etc? What about your pics? Do you do anything so that they show up? Or does it work automatically?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by farbster View Post
    Once you flash the new ROM, what do you need to do to your phone? do you need to reinstall your apps? Enter gmail addresses again for it to load your emails etc? What about your pics? Do you do anything so that they show up? Or does it work automatically?
    Flashing a custom ROM will not wipe the internal storage (pics, music, videos, etc... are safe)

Apps will need to be re-installed. They're saved to your Gmail/Google account and will be stored in the Market (free apps will not be saved.. You will need to find them and redownload them.... only paid apps will be saved. Download "MyBackup Pro"... It will back up all of your apps/data and phone settings including bookmarks, alarms, call logs, SMS messages, etc... which will make setting up the phone again a lot easier. Just don't ever backup or restore "System Settings".

Basic rundown of what's involved.
    Download MyBackup Pro for root users and backup apps to sd card... Then make another backup of data (SMS messages, call logs, etc) ... to sd card.

Make a Nandroid backup of your stock ROM.
    Flash the new custom ROM.

Sign back into your phone with your Gmail account and go through the initial setup process... same as when you first got the phone.

Go to the market and redownload MyBackup Pro. Go into the app and select restore... choose the option for apps from SD card. All of your apps and app data will be restored (apks + data)
    Then go back to restore and select "data". All of your messages, bookmarks, etc... will be restored. Make sure you NEVER restore "system settings".

Your phone will now be back to the way it was... with the new ROM.
    Thanked by:
    Montclair likes this.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Is MyBackup Pro better than Titanium backup? I've used Titanium (free) for a full backup, but haven't flashed any ROMs yet. Seemed like a good idea to do a backup anyway.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by farbster View Post
    Is MyBackup Pro better than Titanium backup? I've used Titanium (free) for a full backup, but haven't flashed any ROMs yet. Seemed like a good idea to do a backup anyway.
    I use both... at one point I only use to use Titanium but found that MyBackup is more user friendly so I always recommend that for beginners. I find it simpler to use... so now I use Mybackup for backing up apps and data and use Titanium for freezing/deleting unwanted apps.
    Thanked by:
    gnr_2 likes this.

Thank you for the guide. It's nice to see solid community support like this for rooting and tinkering.

I did run into a problem during the beginning that would not allow booting into CWM recovery. I kept getting a red exclamation mark. I dug around the forum and renaming or deleting "/system/boot-from-recovery.p" fixed the problem.

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    I use both... at one point I only use to use Titanium but found that MyBackup is more user friendly so I always recommend that for beginners. I find it simpler to use... so now I use Mybackup for backing up apps and data and use Titanium for freezing/deleting unwanted apps.
    I see that My Backup Pro is on sale for $2.99. I use Titanium Backup but may give MBP a try for 3 bucks.

Sent using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Thank you for writing this. It helped answer all my questions and held my hand through my first Rom flashing.

Nate

I too want to say thank you for writing this. I am glad I read the comments - all of the comments - first BEFORE flashing a new ROM (for the first time). Now I know about the Backup Pro step.

I got the green dead robot also. I read on another board (before I read the 5 pages of comments) that if you performed step 1 of your instructions, i.e., "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery", for a second time, for some reason this fixes it. And it did - for me. I think it had to do with some interaction with the Superuser app. But I am still not sure what that app even is so far. A lot to learn.

Thanks again for the guide and comment replies.

Adam

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

Question: since the galaxy nexus doesn't have an SD card how are people going about saving backups and roms thru a full wipe. Is offloading to a PC the only option?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by schnyd View Post
    Question: since the galaxy nexus doesn't have an SD card how are people going about saving backups and roms thru a full wipe. Is offloading to a PC the only option?

When you initiate a wipe the /sdcard partition is left intact.

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    ROM
    AXIOM 2.4

I couldn't find an answer to this in this thread so far. After I install a new ROM, can I install all my MODS immediately too or do I need to reboot, clear cache/dalvik and then install the MODS? If I have to reboot after installing a ROM, can I install all the MODS back to back or do I need to reboot/clear cache in between each installation?

Also have another issue with ClockworkMod. When I used the volume buttons to scroll up and down, sometimes it jumps around instead of just scrolling one by one. And if that happens too much, i'll see a message that says "menu button disabled". so when i hit the power button, nothing will happen. i then have to scroll up and down a bunch of times to get the menu button enabled again. not a huge deal, but a slight pain when trying to install a new ROM or MOD.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trmoney24 View Post
    I couldn't find an answer to this in this thread so far. After I install a new ROM, can I install all my MODS immediately too or do I need to reboot, clear cache/dalvik and then install the MODS? If I have to reboot after installing a ROM, can I install all the MODS back to back or do I need to reboot/clear cache in between each installation?

Also have another issue with ClockworkMod. When I used the volume buttons to scroll up and down, sometimes it jumps around instead of just scrolling one by one. And if that happens too much, i'll see a message that says "menu button disabled". so when i hit the power button, nothing will happen. i then have to scroll up and down a bunch of times to get the menu button enabled again. not a huge deal, but a slight pain when trying to install a new ROM or MOD.
    Let the phone reboot after installing a ROM.. then go back and do the mods. For the mods... you can use the option "reboot recovery" in CWM. It does a quick reboot and brings you right back into CWM... its designed for back to back flashing. I wouldn't use it after flashing a ROM though... I tried and ended up with missing soft keys... had to reflash the ROM.
    Install ROM
    Reboot phone
    Boot into CWM Recovery
    Wipe dalvik/cache
    Install Mod
    Use Reboot Recovery
    Wipe dalvik/cache
    Install Mod
    Reboot phone.

I noticed the same problem with the volume buttons jumping around and disabling the back selection... I was pulling the battery when that happened though.. its good to know that if you keep messing with it that it comes back.. that should save me a lot of time.. thanks Not sure why that's happening... you could probably fix it by uninstalling/reinstalling ROM Manager and deleting the clockworkmod folder (backup your stuff first) from your storage and then reflashing Recovery through ROM Manager again..... I haven't gotten around to trying that yet though so if you decide to try it and it works.. post your results.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    ROM
    AXIOM 2.4

i actually install clockworkmod using your steps from this post. i've never used rom manager to install anything. since you noticed it as well, might just be a bug.
    and yes to fix the back button issue just keep scrolling around and it will switch back up.

thanks for the MOD instructions. that will def save me time on my next ROM install.

I unlocked the boot loader and installed clockworkmod onto my phone. I done the K04 antenna update before and was fine with that. Well tonight I tried to install the Codename 1.0.1 MOD out of the ROM Manager. I followed the steps that you have posted but it is staying on the boot up screen *kaleidoscope looking screen* and it won't go off of that. Been there for 20 minutes now. What did I do wrong?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast