Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Default Re: [Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy N

Quote Originally Posted by Mudbuster87 View Post
    I unlocked the boot loader and installed clockworkmod onto my phone. I done the K04 antenna update before and was fine with that. Well tonight I tried to install the Codename 1.0.1 MOD out of the ROM Manager. I followed the steps that you have posted but it is staying on the boot up screen *kaleidoscope looking screen* and it won't go off of that. Been there for 20 minutes now. What did I do wrong?
    Did you download the right link? There's two links for 1.0.1. One is a full ROM.. which is what you want. The other is a patch for 1.0.1 that gets applied over version 1.0.0. Check and see which link you used to download.
    Thanked by:

That was my problem, I was trying to install just the MOD that was the update instead of installing the full ROM. Thanks for pointing out simple download mistake.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mudbuster87 View Post
    That was my problem, I was trying to install just the MOD that was the update instead of installing the full ROM. Thanks for pointing out simple download mistake.
    Hope you made a nandroid backup of the stock ROM.. chances are you can't boot your phone up right now. Pull the battery... power back on holding Volume Up + Volume Down + the power button and hold until you get to recovery. Select recovery... install from SD card.. clockworkmod... backup... and flash your backup that you made.

Yes I flashed my backup already. Phone booted back up. Now waiting for the full version of Codename v1.0.1 to download and then going to install full version instead of just the MOD.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Cool.. see ya in the Codename thread afterwards

ROM
    AOKP Toro build #21

Hey Cyber first of all thanks for the guide it is awesome!

Second what happened to the list of ROMs? It appears you were going to put one in but didnt? Maybe you know where I could find a list or do I just need to search the forums?

Also Im wondering where all the themes are? I came from a fascinate and there was a huge list of themes and ROMs available for flashing all in one sticky, maybe we can get something like that going here?

Again I really appreciate all you have already done this is an amazingly easy to follow guide and I have found it very helpful.

thanks

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    ROM
    CNA 1.4.0

Hi all, I am trying to flash the code name rom. However, every time I try to reboot into recovery through rom manager, I get the android guy laying down with the red exclamation point in his stomach... Has this happened to anyone? If so, what did you do to fix? Thanks
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #59  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspec View Post
    Hi all, I am trying to flash the code name rom. However, every time I try to reboot into recovery through rom manager, I get the android guy laying down with the red exclamation point in his stomach... Has this happened to anyone? If so, what did you do to fix? Thanks
    Yea... info is on page 2.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    ROM
    CNA 1.4.0

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    Yea... info is on page 2.
    Worked like a charm, thanks!

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock ice cream

When I try to reboot into clock work recovery I get a red exclamation mark please help
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert90262 View Post
    When I try to reboot into clock work recovery I get a red exclamation mark please help
    Go to page 2 and read the blue note by me.

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock ice cream

Go to page 2 and read the blue note by me.
    It worked thanks so much first you've helped me through my thunder bolt now my nexus well appreciated for everything
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert90262 View Post
    It worked thanks so much first you've helped me through my thunder bolt now my nexus well appreciated for everything
    You're welcome... glad to help.

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    ROM
    AXIOM 2.4

so i have gotten good at install ROMS and all the steps needed before doing so. if i use ROM Manager to install a room, does it clear the cache, dalvik cache, /system, etc. for me before installing the rom? Or is it still better to manually do that in Clockworkmod? I was just trying to find an easier way to make this process a little more automatic.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #66  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

ROM Manager will do it for you. Right before installing the ROM.. the app will ask you if you would like to wipe data/cache.

I still recommend using CWM Recovery manually though.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

Greetings. I keep getting the red exclamation mark when I try to get into Recovery Mode.

I've followed Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit v1.3 installation step-by-step without issue. Although changelog states "Changed the permanent root script to rename the "recover-from-boot.p" file to "recover-from-boot.p.bak" instead of just deleting it", I've installed Root Explorer and confirm that the file was not renamed. I renamed manually per instructions on page 2.

Also, ROM Manager shows that the current ClockworkMod Recovery is 5.5.0.4, and the instructions on page 2 state "this problem has been fixed with Koush's latest update to ROM Managers recovery. If your Recovery says " ClockworkMod 5.5.0.4" then you dont have to worry about the problem above".

I'm at a loss as to why I'm unable to get into Recovery Mode. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #68  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by p.m.a. View Post
    Greetings. I keep getting the red exclamation mark when I try to get into Recovery Mode.

I've followed Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit v1.3 installation step-by-step without issue. Although changelog states "Changed the permanent root script to rename the "recover-from-boot.p" file to "recover-from-boot.p.bak" instead of just deleting it", I've installed Root Explorer and confirm that the file was not renamed. I renamed manually per instructions on page 2.

Also, ROM Manager shows that the current ClockworkMod Recovery is 5.5.0.4, and the instructions on page 2 state "this problem has been fixed with Koush's latest update to ROM Managers recovery. If your Recovery says " ClockworkMod 5.5.0.4" then you dont have to worry about the problem above".

I'm at a loss as to why I'm unable to get into Recovery Mode. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Yea even with that version.. it still needs to be done. I need to update that. Koush said it was fixed but apparently people are still having the problem.

You need to follow the steps in the exact order making sure you also reboot the phone. Also double check that Root Explorer says "Read/Write" before you rename the file.
    Thanked by:
    p.m.a. 

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

Yea even with that version.. it still needs to be done. I need to update that. Koush said it was fixed but apparently people are still having the problem.

You need to follow the steps in the exact order making sure you also reboot the phone. Also double check that Root Explorer says "Read/Write" before you rename the file.
    Going back through the process I found that I had missed this crucial step: "ROM Manager and flash Recovery again". I had misread that as Reboot into Recovery. Gnex is now backing up. Thanks very much for your excellent guides!

ROM
    CodeName 1.3.3

i just cant seem to install a rom i tried a few. but tried winner00 CM9 kang blue soft keys 012912 multiple times. and just had to restore back to stock backup everytime. each time i lost my soft keys. just not sure what im doing wrong. any help would be greatly appreciated. ill be happy with just my soft keys blue
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #71  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BayRican View Post
    i just cant seem to install a rom i tried a few. but tried winner00 CM9 kang blue soft keys 012912 multiple times. and just had to restore back to stock backup everytime. each time i lost my soft keys. just not sure what im doing wrong. any help would be greatly appreciated. ill be happy with just my soft keys blue
    Can you copy and paste the links for what you're trying to install? From what it sounds like... you are trying to install a ROM modification (different color softkeys) without installing an actual ROM. That or the software key modification is not compatible with the ROM you are using.

If you could copy and paste the link to the ROM you're using and also copy and paste the link for the softkey modification that you want to use... then I can help you figure out what's going wrong.

Are you using an actual ROM or did you just flash the softkey mod over the stock ROM?

ROM
    CodeName 1.3.3

Can you copy and paste the links for what you're trying to install? From what it sounds like... you are trying to install a ROM modification (different color softkeys) without installing an actual ROM. That or the software key modification is not compatible with the ROM you are using.

If you could copy and paste the link to the ROM you're using and also copy and paste the link for the softkey modification that you want to use... then I can help you figure out what's going wrong.

Are you using an actual ROM or did you just flash the softkey mod over the stock ROM?
    I'm on stock rom im just unlocked and rooted. The winner00 rom I was trying to flash is from Rom manager. I don't know if it was a rom or a soft key mod. I thought it was whole rom with cm9 and blue soft keys. I can't figure out how to paste the links from Rom manager. Thanks so much

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #73  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

I'm on stock rom im just unlocked and rooted. The winner00 rom I was trying to flash is from Rom manager. I don't know if it was a rom or a soft key mod. I thought it was whole rom with cm9 and blue soft keys. I can't figure out how to paste the links from Rom manager. Thanks so much

Okay... I see what you did. You shouldn't really use ROM Manager to download ROMs... it can cause problems. Use the threads in the forums and then go to the developers home page where he explains what's involved, what's needed and provides the downloads that you need.

You only downloaded a modification for the soft keys. That needs to be installed over the ROM that goes to it. You can't flash it over the stock ROM. You would need all three files in ROM Manager. The first one is a soft key mod. The second one under it is the actual ROM and the third file under that is the Gapps (Google apps)

You would need to first flash the ROM.. then right after flash the Gapps (only wipe dalvik/cache No data wipe)... then reboot the phone and flash the soft key mod (wipe dalvik/cache No data wipe)

I'd recommend flashing either Codename, AOKP or Bugless Beast. They're the most popular and stable ROMs out. You can find the info and download links in the forums.

Here..
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...en-source.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...-2-2012-a.html

[ROM] Android Open Kang Project
    Thanked by:

ROM
    CodeName 1.3.3

Okay... I see what you did. You shouldn't really use ROM Manager to download ROMs... it can cause problems. Use the threads in the forums and then go to the developers home page where he explains what's involved, what's needed and provides the downloads that you need.

You only downloaded a modification for the soft keys. That needs to be installed over the ROM that goes to it. You can't flash it over the stock ROM. You would need all three files in ROM Manager. The first one is a soft key mod. The second one under it is the actual ROM and the third file under that is the Gapps (Google apps)

You would need to first flash the ROM.. then right after flash the Gapps (only wipe dalvik/cache No data wipe)... then reboot the phone and flash the soft key mod (wipe dalvik/cache No data wipe)

I'd recommend flashing either Codename, AOKP or Bugless Beast. They're the most popular and stable ROMs out. You can find the info and download links in the forums.

Here..
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...en-source.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...-2-2012-a.html

[ROM] Android Open Kang Project
    Thanks for all the help. I was going crazy I can't even concentrate at work. Ha ha I will be checking out codename thanks for the links.

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #75  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Thanks for all the help. I was going crazy I can't even concentrate at work. Ha ha I will be checking out codename thanks for the links.

Yea not sure about bugless beast... never tried it... but with Codename and AOKP the soft key mods are built into the ROMs settings amongst other great features.

Basically what you need to do is:
    Go to the main page of the developers ROM (its in the first post of the links I gave you)
    Download the latest version of the Codename ROM and download the Gapps (Google apps... Gmail, Gtalk, Google +, etc..)
    Boot into Recovery through ROM Manager
    Wipe Data, Wipe Cache, Wipe Dalvik
    Go to Install from SD Card and choose the Codename ROM

After it is installed.... and you're still in Recovery
    Wipe cache, Wipe Dalvik (No Data Wipe)
    Go to install from SD Card and install the Gapps zip file
    Once that's done... reboot your phone and you're all set to go. The ROM has pretty much every single kind of built in modification that you can think of built right into the settings.
    Thanked by:
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast