[Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy Nexus

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy N

Thanks again! I'll back up the ROM when i get home! Could i also use, Back up current ROM listed in the app? Or just do it through Recovery?

Yes.. "Backup current ROM" in the app is the first option I listed for you. The second option is "reboot into recovery".. both will take you into CWM Recovery so its the same thing.

As mentioned in the first option from my previous post.. "backup current rom" gives you the option to rename the file first.

Reactions: Vanilla Ice

Vanilla Ice

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Yes.. "Backup current ROM" in the app is the first option I listed for you. The second option is "reboot into recovery".. both will take you into CWM Recovery so its the same thing.

As mentioned in the first option from my previous post.. "backup current rom" gives you the option to rename the file first.

THANKS!!! :)

Last edited:

whthotg8

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: Install ROMs/Kernels/Themes/Mods with ROM Manager

How do I get the ROM file on to the SD card? Won't it be wiped when I unlock and root?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Install ROMs/Kernels/Themes/Mods with ROM Manager

How do I get the ROM file on to the SD card? Won't it be wiped when I unlock and root?

Yes.. you can boot up after the unlock/root procedure. Just skip through the activation screens, doesn't make a difference, plug the phone in and copy the ROM and gapps (if needed) over.. then boot back into recovery and flash them! :)

Reactions: zero neck

whthotg8

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

2def, 1 more question. Where do I find gapps? What is it? And should.it be saved before the unlock and rooting process? Sorry, this is my first shot at this.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

2def, 1 more question. Where do I find gapps? What is it? And should.it be saved before the unlock and rooting process? Sorry, this is my first shot at this.

Gapps = Google apps... the majority of ROMs do not include Google Apps because the apps are not open source and blah blah blah.. its a whole legal thing, lol. So, you have to download a Gapps package and flash it immediately after you flash the ROM, before rebooting. It includes the Play Store and any Google apps which are not available in the Play store... so don't be surprised when you boot up and are missing Maps, gmail, etc... you can just go right to the store and download them.

Bookmark this site: Google Apps - RootzWiki

Its a list of the currently "official" gapps pack, and lists anything noteworthy and changes when the pack gets updated :)

Some ROMs might suggest you flash something other than the official pack, so read the OP and figure it out.. it will let you know if the gapps are included or if they want you to flash a special pack.

Reactions: zero neck

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
What's Nandroid?

A nandroid is a backup you make using your recovery. It's basically a full image of your phone in its current state that you can restore if you later screw something up or flash something you don't like.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jteply13

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

I am using ROM Mgr and had a problem with my phone. While I was installing a new custom ROM. I now keep getting an error "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands". How do I fix this??

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I am using ROM Mgr and had a problem with my phone. While I was installing a new custom ROM. I now keep getting an error "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands". How do I fix this??

Could be a bad flash, could be you restored something you weren't suppose to, could be an incompatible app.. most of the time its just a one time error and goes away.

If its a constant problem... either boot into recovery and fix permissions or go into ROM Manager and run "fix permissions".

If that doesn't clear it up it could be something with the ROM... try reflashing the ROM, make sure you're wiping data, cache and dalvik.

Froojr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Every time I try to flash CWM, ROM Manager freezes and I get a popup saying ROM Manager is not responding. Any ideas why? I've unlocked and rooted and can't get past these basic two starter steps using ROM Manager on my toro Gnex. Help!

Edit: Maybe I'm lost... no, I am lost. This is ridiculously hard to get without a year or more of just reading up on it. I'm just going to stop trying, and use Wug's. I give up.

Last edited:

StarfishP

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I have one question. Let's say I want to install a new ROM and all the files are stores on my phones sdcard. When I wipe my phone does that file also disappear too? Which would lead me to having to re download the Rom and putting it on the phone again? Or is there a way to prevent just the Rom from being wiped from the phone?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have one question. Let's say I want to install a new ROM and all the files are stores on my phones sdcard. When I wipe my phone does that file also disappear too? Which would lead me to having to re download the Rom and putting it on the phone again? Or is there a way to prevent just the Rom from being wiped from the phone?

Nope. SDcard/internal storage is not touched unless you purposefully wipe it or unlock/lock the bootloader.

StarfishP

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Okay I understand that but when you do a clean install people suggest a factory wipe. Doesn't that wipe everything completely?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Okay I understand that but when you do a clean install people suggest a factory wipe. Doesn't that wipe everything completely?

No. A factory wipe only wipes a couple partitions. None of those have the sdcard folder. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000