Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Could some one help me with ROM Manager backup?

I have the premium version of ROM Manager, but haven't used it since the Froyo days on the Droid X when I think you also had to have Bootstrap installed to make it work. All I want to do right now is make a backup of my unlocked, rooted GN. When I start ROM Manager, a couple of relevant things I see (all the other stuff is there as well) are Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, Reboot into Recovery, Manage and Restore Backups, and Backup Current ROM.

On my X, I thought I remembered there was a certain sequence of clicking this, and clicking that to make a backup. What are the specific steps to make a backup of my device as is?

Thanks for the help.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Default Re: Could some one help me with ROM Manager backup?

[Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy Nexus

That should get you where you need to be.

FYI, that was right in the stickies of this forum.
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker
    Thanked by 2:
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

First step open from manager and select flash clockwork. Select the lte nexus and it will install. Then you need to overwrite the stock recovery. Go in the system with root explorer go into system and find the recovery-from.boot.p and change the name by adding .bak to it so you can get it back if needed. Then go back into rom manager and click reboot recovery. All set.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    7,720 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I flashed CWR this way just seemed easier to do then tho fastboot.I followed insructions on renaming that file in root exployer to .bak (recovery-from.boot.p and change the name by adding .bak)
    Making backup as I type this post
    Thanked by:
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    I flashed CWR this way just seemed easier to do then tho fastboot.I followed insructions on renaming that file in root exployer to .bak (recovery-from.boot.p and change the name by adding .bak)
    Making backup as I type this post
    I love using commands and all that but this was easy and I did it while on the john simple

Global Posts
    434 Global Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

I could use some help too,I unlocked, rooted and flash recovery without any problem. Now whenIgo into rom manager and reboot into recovery all i get is the android with a red triangle. What do I need to do to get back into recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by JRZLocal View Post
    I could use some help too,I unlocked, rooted and flash recovery without any problem. Now whenIgo into rom manager and reboot into recovery all i get is the android with a red triangle. What do I need to do to get back into recovery?
    Just follow these directions:

Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post
    First step open from manager and select flash clockwork. Select the lte nexus and it will install. Then you need to overwrite the stock recovery. Using Root Explorer, go into system and find the recovery-from.boot.p and change the name by adding .bak to it so you can get it back if needed. Then go back into rom manager and click reboot recovery. All set.
    In simple terms, the GNEX isn't recognizing CWM as a viable recovery, so it defaults back to the stock recovery. By following the steps that tntdroid wrote, you'll be putting the stock recovery on the back burner so that the phone has no choice but to use CWM.

Root Explorer is an app on the market, btw. It is a very robust file manager that is invaluable to all that have root access.

recovery-from.boot.p.bak is this correct? Thanks in advaced

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

yes thats correct

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by bstrong04 View Post
    recovery-from-boot.p is read only and Root Explorer wont allow me to change the name.

what do I need to do?
    did you hit the button at the top of root explorer that says "mount r/w"

If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    3.0.8-gaaa2611, unlocked

Quick Question,

I've always simply used ROM Manager to create the backup. I was under the impression that all I had to do to restore a backup was to use ROM Manager to boot into recovery and restore the image I created. Now I am seeing added instructions of renaming a file with the extension of .bak.

Is this absolutely necessary? Can't I just simply use ROM Manager to restore without that step? I say this because I've got 2 images I can restore and there is only one recovery file in System. I've also tried to rename that file via Astro and File Manager and it won't allow me to. I've got an unlocked bootloader and superuser access but it won't allow me to rename files. I guess I could try doing it via mounting the GNEX to my computer and renaming it from there. But is this absolutely necessary if I use ROM Manager to restore?
    Nextel Flips > Motorola Slider > Blackberry Storm 9530 > Motorola Droid X > Galaxy Nexus