Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Flashing the Google System Restore Images?

    Is there a link or thread that explains how to flash the Google System Restore Images?

    I am one that would prefer to start fresh when installing any new Rom. I know Moto uses RSD lite but what does Google use? Can I use Clockwork Mod?

    Also, does anyone know if flashing a restore image will wipe the device of everything?

    I would prefer that it leave certain things in tact, which is why I liked having an SD card that I always knew would be untouched after a factory reset.

    I know I can do a factory restore in ICS but am also unsure of just how much of the device would be wiped.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Flashing the Google System Restore Images?

    Here you go:



    I tried it and it wiped everything including the contents in the sd card. So when you use it, you might want to back your stuff up.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Flashing the Google System Restore Images?

    I have a problem and instead of starting a new thread I'll just jump in this one.

    I decided to unroot and relock my Galaxy Nexus and followed the instructions from Droid Life.

    Everything seemed to work up until the next to the last command, which I've bolded below:

    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primekk15.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    fastboot flash radio radio-toro-i515.ek02.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    fastboot flash radio-cdma radio-cdma-toro-i515.ek05.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    fastboot -w update image-mysid-icl53f.zip
    fastboot reboot-bootloader ***AT this step it says "Waiting on device" and I can't seem to get past it
    fastboot oem lock

    Does this mean I've basically wiped the phone and removed the root, BUT left the device UNLOCKED?

    I'm perplexed at why the device doesn't respond now to the command prompt. I've closed out the command prompt and restarted the phone and neither work. It still gives me the same message everytime.

    Please help a noob out.
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Flashing the Google System Restore Images?

    Yes that is what it means. you have to reboot into the bootloader by using the command:

    adb reboot bootloader

    then you can use:

    fastboot oem lock

    to re-lock the device.


    fastboot reboot-bootloader only works when you are already in the bootloader.
  5. #5  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: Flashing the Google System Restore Images?

    Quote Originally Posted by philosopherisdog View Post
    I have a problem and instead of starting a new thread I'll just jump in this one.

    I decided to unroot and relock my Galaxy Nexus and followed the instructions from Droid Life.

    Everything seemed to work up until the next to the last command, which I've bolded below:

    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primekk15.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    fastboot flash radio radio-toro-i515.ek02.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    fastboot flash radio-cdma radio-cdma-toro-i515.ek05.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    fastboot -w update image-mysid-icl53f.zip
    fastboot reboot-bootloader ***AT this step it says "Waiting on device" and I can't seem to get past it
    fastboot oem lock

    Does this mean I've basically wiped the phone and removed the root, BUT left the device UNLOCKED?

    I'm perplexed at why the device doesn't respond now to the command prompt. I've closed out the command prompt and restarted the phone and neither work. It still gives me the same message everytime.

    Please help a noob out.
    waiting on device is a driver issue.

    following these directions, the third download on the thread is the USB drivers you need
    [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    if you still have problems let me know
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  6. #6  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: Flashing the Google System Restore Images?

    Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    Is there a link or thread that explains how to flash the Google System Restore Images?

    I am one that would prefer to start fresh when installing any new Rom. I know Moto uses RSD lite but what does Google use? Can I use Clockwork Mod?

    Also, does anyone know if flashing a restore image will wipe the device of everything?

    I would prefer that it leave certain things in tact, which is why I liked having an SD card that I always knew would be untouched after a factory reset.

    I know I can do a factory restore in ICS but am also unsure of just how much of the device would be wiped.
    Completely unnecessary to do this before any new ROM.. Every ROM will have instructions before you install it as to what you should wipe.. restoring factory images beforehand is absolutely just wasting time, trust me. Plus you'll be wiping your sd card when you do that, which normally you won't be on ROM installs since wiping from within CWR leaves your sd card intact.

    EDIT: Just think of it, if there was ANYTHING to gain from doing it that way, devs would recommend it.. you will not find a single developer who would tell you to do that
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: Flashing the Google System Restore Images?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Completely unnecessary to do this before any new ROM.. Every ROM will have instructions before you install it as to what you should wipe.. restoring factory images beforehand is absolutely just wasting time, trust me. Plus you'll be wiping your sd card when you do that, which normally you won't be on ROM installs since wiping from within CWR leaves your sd card intact.

    EDIT: Just think of it, if there was ANYTHING to gain from doing it that way, devs would recommend it.. you will not find a single developer who would tell you to do that
    i kind of get the impression that he has not rooted or unlocked yet
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  8. #8  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: Flashing the Google System Restore Images?

    Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    i kind of get the impression that he has not rooted or unlocked yet
    Maybe, idk the wording made it sound like he believed he was going to do that before any rom install.. maybe I misinterpreted? Just didn't want to see him doing extra work, lol
  9. #9  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Maybe, idk the wording made it sound like he believed he was going to do that before any rom install.. maybe I misinterpreted? Just didn't want to see him doing extra work, lol
    I think it was a little of both lol

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Flashing the Google System Restore Images?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mailyfesux View Post
    Yes that is what it means. you have to reboot into the bootloader by using the command:

    adb reboot bootloader

    then you can use:

    fastboot oem lock

    to re-lock the device.


    fastboot reboot-bootloader only works when you are already in the bootloader.
    For a brief moment I had thought maybe I needed to do that but dismissed it for some reason..
    Thanks - now I just need to decide if I want to keep the bootloader unlocked or not.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Flashing the Google System Restore Images?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Completely unnecessary to do this before any new ROM.. Every ROM will have instructions before you install it as to what you should wipe.. restoring factory images beforehand is absolutely just wasting time, trust me. Plus you'll be wiping your sd card when you do that, which normally you won't be on ROM installs since wiping from within CWR leaves your sd card intact.

    EDIT: Just think of it, if there was ANYTHING to gain from doing it that way, devs would recommend it.. you will not find a single developer who would tell you to do that
    I got the Nexus because I I wanted a completely open phone and I knew it was never offered on Big Red, and I never thought it would be. But, my lack of understanding may be coming through because all of my prior experience is with the Droid X.

    I already unlocked and rooted the phone from Day 1. Itís just that it is still hard to believe that I have already been running AOSP stock Android from Day 1. It wasnít like owning the DX when I had to root just to get rid of blur, bloat, and get the phone to work better.

    Iíve already noticed that Birdman, Fabulous, Kejar, JRummy, have already begun custom ROMS on the Nexus, and Iíll check them out, but every ROM I ever flashed on the DX always recommended wiping the cache and flashing back to pure stock to avoid bugs. Kejar and JRummy even put it in their instructions, so I always flashed completely back to stock using RSD Lite before installing a new Rom. There were those that would flash GummyJar over Apex over Rubix etc without ever going back to stock, but they would complain about bugs later.

    I guess it made me think of flashing Roms like painting/staining furniture. Itís always better to strip the old layer/coat before applying a new one.

    If flashing back to stock before flashing a new Rom is unnecessary with the Nexus, thanks for letting me know. It just seemed instinctive, based on my prior experience with the DX to assume that flashing back to stock to avoid future bugs/force closes was a necessity.

    Do you think the ROMS for the DX had to be designed and installed differently because of the locked bootloader and the DX bootstrapper? Are most ROMS for the Nexus always designed to be installed over the top of something else without causing glitches?

    Is there ever a true case case where someone would specifically need to flash back to stock? Obviously, it sounds like it would have to be in a situation where the phone got majorly screwed up!!!

    Thanks for your help. Saving time is always nice.
  12. #12  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    well yeah motor flashes different. When flashing from clockwork recovery you will usually wipe user data,cache partition,and dalvik cache. Then when you flash the from it will overwrite all the system files. So flashing back to stock is unnecessary.

    You may want to flash back to stock if you are planning on returning the phone or if you just want stock back for updating purposes,but chances are tons will be updated quickly with any changes that may come

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Posting Permissions

B