Flashing the Google System Restore Images?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Is there a link or thread that explains how to flash the Google System Restore Images?

I am one that would prefer to start fresh when installing any new Rom. I know Moto uses RSD lite but what does Google use? Can I use Clockwork Mod?

Also, does anyone know if flashing a restore image will wipe the device of everything?

I would prefer that it leave certain things in tact, which is why I liked having an SD card that I always knew would be untouched after a factory reset.

I know I can do a factory restore in ICS but am also unsure of just how much of the device would be wiped.

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a problem and instead of starting a new thread I'll just jump in this one.

I decided to unroot and relock my Galaxy Nexus and followed the instructions from Droid Life.

Everything seemed to work up until the next to the last command, which I've bolded below:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primekk15.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-toro-i515.ek02.img
fastboot flash radio-cdma radio-cdma-toro-i515.ek05.img
fastboot -w update image-mysid-icl53f.zip
fastboot reboot-bootloader ***AT this step it says "Waiting on device" and I can't seem to get past it
fastboot oem lock

Does this mean I've basically wiped the phone and removed the root, BUT left the device UNLOCKED?

I'm perplexed at why the device doesn't respond now to the command prompt. I've closed out the command prompt and restarted the phone and neither work. It still gives me the same message everytime.

Please help a noob out.

Reactions: davidnc

Mailyfesux

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes that is what it means. you have to reboot into the bootloader by using the command:

adb reboot bootloader

then you can use:

fastboot oem lock

to re-lock the device.

fastboot reboot-bootloader only works when you are already in the bootloader.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a problem and instead of starting a new thread I'll just jump in this one.

I decided to unroot and relock my Galaxy Nexus and followed the instructions from Droid Life.

Everything seemed to work up until the next to the last command, which I've bolded below:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primekk15.img
fastboot flash radio radio-toro-i515.ek02.img
fastboot flash radio-cdma radio-cdma-toro-i515.ek05.img
fastboot -w update image-mysid-icl53f.zip
fastboot reboot-bootloader ***AT this step it says "Waiting on device" and I can't seem to get past it
fastboot oem lock

Does this mean I've basically wiped the phone and removed the root, BUT left the device UNLOCKED?

I'm perplexed at why the device doesn't respond now to the command prompt. I've closed out the command prompt and restarted the phone and neither work. It still gives me the same message everytime.

Please help a noob out.

waiting on device is a driver issue.

following these directions, the third download on the thread is the USB drivers you need
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ock-bootloader-root-verizon-galaxy-nexus.html
if you still have problems let me know

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Is there a link or thread that explains how to flash the Google System Restore Images?

I am one that would prefer to start fresh when installing any new Rom. I know Moto uses RSD lite but what does Google use? Can I use Clockwork Mod?

Also, does anyone know if flashing a restore image will wipe the device of everything?

I would prefer that it leave certain things in tact, which is why I liked having an SD card that I always knew would be untouched after a factory reset.

I know I can do a factory restore in ICS but am also unsure of just how much of the device would be wiped.

Completely unnecessary to do this before any new ROM.. Every ROM will have instructions before you install it as to what you should wipe.. restoring factory images beforehand is absolutely just wasting time, trust me. Plus you'll be wiping your sd card when you do that, which normally you won't be on ROM installs since wiping from within CWR leaves your sd card intact.

EDIT: Just think of it, if there was ANYTHING to gain from doing it that way, devs would recommend it.. you will not find a single developer who would tell you to do that :)

Reactions: diesteldorf

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Completely unnecessary to do this before any new ROM.. Every ROM will have instructions before you install it as to what you should wipe.. restoring factory images beforehand is absolutely just wasting time, trust me. Plus you'll be wiping your sd card when you do that, which normally you won't be on ROM installs since wiping from within CWR leaves your sd card intact.

EDIT: Just think of it, if there was ANYTHING to gain from doing it that way, devs would recommend it.. you will not find a single developer who would tell you to do that :)

i kind of get the impression that he has not rooted or unlocked yet

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Maybe, idk the wording made it sound like he believed he was going to do that before any rom install.. maybe I misinterpreted? Just didn't want to see him doing extra work, lol :)

I think it was a little of both lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes that is what it means. you have to reboot into the bootloader by using the command:

adb reboot bootloader

then you can use:

fastboot oem lock

to re-lock the device.

fastboot reboot-bootloader only works when you are already in the bootloader.

For a brief moment I had thought maybe I needed to do that but dismissed it for some reason..
Thanks - now I just need to decide if I want to keep the bootloader unlocked or not.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I got the Nexus because I I wanted a completely open phone and I knew it was never offered on Big Red, and I never thought it would be. But, my lack of understanding may be coming through because all of my prior experience is with the Droid X.

I already unlocked and rooted the phone from Day 1. It?s just that it is still hard to believe that I have already been running AOSP stock Android from Day 1. It wasn?t like owning the DX when I had to root just to get rid of blur, bloat, and get the phone to work better.

I?ve already noticed that Birdman, Fabulous, Kejar, JRummy, have already begun custom ROMS on the Nexus, and I?ll check them out, but every ROM I ever flashed on the DX always recommended wiping the cache and flashing back to pure stock to avoid bugs. Kejar and JRummy even put it in their instructions, so I always flashed completely back to stock using RSD Lite before installing a new Rom. There were those that would flash GummyJar over Apex over Rubix etc without ever going back to stock, but they would complain about bugs later.

I guess it made me think of flashing Roms like painting/staining furniture. It?s always better to strip the old layer/coat before applying a new one.

If flashing back to stock before flashing a new Rom is unnecessary with the Nexus, thanks for letting me know. It just seemed instinctive, based on my prior experience with the DX to assume that flashing back to stock to avoid future bugs/force closes was a necessity.

Do you think the ROMS for the DX had to be designed and installed differently because of the locked bootloader and the DX bootstrapper? Are most ROMS for the Nexus always designed to be installed over the top of something else without causing glitches?

Is there ever a true case case where someone would specifically need to flash back to stock? Obviously, it sounds like it would have to be in a situation where the phone got majorly screwed up!!!

Thanks for your help. Saving time is always nice.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
well yeah motor flashes different. When flashing from clockwork recovery you will usually wipe user data,cache partition,and dalvik cache. Then when you flash the from it will overwrite all the system files. So flashing back to stock is unnecessary.

You may want to flash back to stock if you are planning on returning the phone or if you just want stock back for updating purposes,but chances are tons will be updated quickly with any changes that may come

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk