Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Patrick Schroedl
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Has anyone messed with clock speed?

I am fairly new to Android and this is the first time I rooted an Android phone. I installed Set CPU but I haven't done much with it. When it scanned my GNex, it reported that the minimum speed was 350MHz and the max was 1.2GHz.

Are these the speeds it is set to run stock or has the Set CPU app already modified it just by me running it?

Has anyone been able to underclock it below 350 or overclock it over 1.2 with the stock kernel and ROM?
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

The app will let you change the stock speeds unless you load up a faster kernal. Right now you can drop down to 1gz to make that the Max to save some battery. One thing I use it for is to set up some profiles. Have it so when the screen is off it uses the lowest speed. You can also set it so when your battery get lowers it drops the max speed to save battery. Once you load up some custom stuff you can change more with it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Default Re: Has anyone messed with clock speed?

Can you tell a difference in performance by under clocking?

Quote Originally Posted by mclarryjr View Post
    Can you tell a difference in performance by under clocking?
    I've been experimenting between 700MHz, 920MHz, and 1200MHz. I occasionally notice a general slowness when using the phone, but nothing major. I have it running at either 350 or 700 while charging to help facilitate slightly shorter charge times.

At 700 and 920, it's very quick and responsive. Even playing around at 350MHz the hardware acceleration kept the launcher quite snappy.
    Thanked by 2:
    whartpence likes this.

ROM
    stock

If you're rooted, download CPU Spy. You'll see that the phone spends VERY little of its time at 1.2 - the governor does a pretty good job all on its own. UCing won't help you as much as a custom kernal will
    ghostvzwdev (stock rooted)
    m7wls (stock rooted)
    manta (stock rooted)
    Follow me on Twitter
    Email/GTalk
    Google+
    Thanked by: