Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  • 1 Post By davey11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ICS ROMs are different

This may be stupid of me but it seems like all previous ROMs such as the 2.x ROMs seemed much more customized and what not than the few that are out. It could just be that it's only been a few weeks since everything came out so that could be a big reason but Honeycomb 3.x seems similar to this. All the TF101 ROMs aren't customized at all just more efficient and faster with some mods just like the ones out so far for the GNex. So are all the ROMs going to be like this or will there end up being some more heavily altered ones visually and what not? I have to say though that I absolutely love Android 4.x so much visually and performance wise.

Default Re: ICS ROMs are different

Its because most of the mods and tweaks, etc all have to be adjusted and reworked to be applied to ICS. This was more of a change than going from Froyo to GB or whatever, we have a new kernel and a heavily redesigned OS update to work with... I have looked at the code plenty of times from a theme standpoint (I do theme work) and its a slow going process getting everything working once again.

A few weeks, month or so from now it will be a completely different story... Just give development a little time to do its thing and we will all be rewarded in the end.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I figured that was the case I just didn't know if there was something else I didn't know or something. I am very interested to see the more themed or customized ROMs once they come out. MIUI looks pretty interesting so I can only imagine other ones.

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP 25/Imoseyon lean 2.2

Dude, the device was only released in the US a few weeks ago.

How about a little patience?

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    3.0.8-gaaa2611, unlocked

Give it a couple months and you will see the ROMs get more developed. I promise you, just wait for now.

Get your bootloader unlocked, root the device and drive it like that for now. The ROMs now are full of bugs and need to be made more stable. From there they will develop. So wait until about April-ish.
    Nextel Flips > Motorola Slider > Blackberry Storm 9530 > Motorola Droid X > Galaxy Nexus

Global Posts
    7,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I agree ICS was the biggest changed I have noticed yet in the android operating systems .
    When I first started using android the OS was Eclair.
    I'm happy to wait for those Roms to be developed, and tweaked a lil bit more.
    But I am unlocked and rooted and waiting,just enjoying my stock ICS right now.

I think you will all be very impressed as development continues... I'm rocking the NS4G and we have a fair selection of ICS 4.0.3 based ROMs to run now and many are nearing 100% bug free..

As far as the mods are concerned, CM team will probably lead the way in development of many of the mods were used to.. We already have extended power menu options "reboot, reboot into recovery, reboot into bootloader". More recent is the notification power widgets "wifi/bt/sounds, etc.. toggles"... All from the CM team and porting to all ICS ROMs. Devs are working up inverted color apps, and much more...

You will all feel the love soon...
    Paul

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

I want to flash a 4.0.3 ROM this weekend. This will be my first custom ROM ever. I want something stable and smooth. What are some good ROMS to start with? I heard good things about Axiom and Bugless Beast.

Also a couple of noob to custom ROM questions:

1. I seem to need to flash the Clockwork Mod recovery every time - how can I make it permanent?
    2. I assume I should make a backup of my current ROM and apps before applying the custom ROMS. Should I also move a copy of these backups to my PC in case I need to wipe the GN HD or is that overkill?
    3. I assume it is difficult to permanently brick a phone and that most errors can be fixed by flashing the original ROM and/or using backup ROMs - is that correct? (assume I'll ask for help if I'm stuck and while I'm not a programmer I'm fairly techie)
    4. How do people determine what Custom ROMs to try? Is it mostly about reputation and features?
    5. After I apply the custom ROM, I assume I use Titanium backup to re-install apps, is that correct? Are there any dos and don't to know about this process?
    6. I have my apps all organized in folders in my stock ROM launcher, will there be a way to bring that folder structure over to the new ROM? I'm thinking no, but it would be cool if I didn't have to recreate the folder structure. I have a lot of apps.
    7. Old ROM backups. I assume you delete them after a while because they can eat a lot of space. What are people's approaches to this? Just keep the most recent stable backup?
    8. Anything else I should be thinking about? What are the best noob custom ROM tutorials website/threads around?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mozy View Post
    I want to flash a 4.0.3 ROM this weekend. This will be my first custom ROM ever. I want something stable and smooth. What are some good ROMS to start with? I heard good things about Axiom and Bugless Beast.

Also a couple of noob to custom ROM questions:

1. I seem to need to flash the Clockwork Mod recovery every time - how can I make it permanent?
    I will leave this for someone actually on the GN to answer/confirm but I see no mentioning of problems in the rooting guides of CWM not sticking.
    2. I assume I should make a backup of my current ROM and apps before applying the custom ROMS. Should I also move a copy of these backups to my PC in case I need to wipe the GN HD or is that overkill?
    Yes you can so you have stock/rooted backup to restore. Moving them to PC is always a good safety practice, your choice.
    3. I assume it is difficult to permanently brick a phone and that most errors can be fixed by flashing the original ROM and/or using backup ROMs - is that correct? (assume I'll ask for help if I'm stuck and while I'm not a programmer I'm fairly techie)
    Bricking a Nexus is really difficult, they are designed to be unlock and rooted better than other devices. As you would already assume, read read read and ask questions if unsure so you don't get into a bad situation.
    4. How do people determine what Custom ROMs to try? Is it mostly about reputation and features?
    Reputation and overall stability is normally first.. Features second... Third I always recommend to everyone to grab a few and do some test drives on each one..
    5. After I apply the custom ROM, I assume I use Titanium backup to re-install apps, is that correct? Are there any dos and don't to know about this process?
    Yes Titanium Backup or My Backup Root is two good options for backup and restore of your applications.. Careful with restoring data, sometimes that is what causes the most issues. Not that it can't be done be proceed slowly so you can isolate a problem data restore if you choose to do so.
    6. I have my apps all organized in folders in my stock ROM launcher, will there be a way to bring that folder structure over to the new ROM? I'm thinking no, but it would be cool if I didn't have to recreate the folder structure. I have a lot of apps.
    If its on stock launcher, then no you can't take the folder layout with you. If your using a 3rd party launcher like Launcher Pro or ADW, etc... then they have built in backup and restore options.
    7. Old ROM backups. I assume you delete them after a while because they can eat a lot of space. What are people's approaches to this? Just keep the most recent stable backup?
    Yes I try not to keep to many on board so I don't get confused.. You can rename the backups using a file explorer just make sure your Nandroid backups don't have any spaces in the filenames... Use this example... filename_myfavorite_12_30_11
    8. Anything else I should be thinking about? What are the best noob custom ROM tutorials website/threads around?
    Most of our sections here have good tutorials and guides to help you along.. Best practice is read and ask questions if your not sure. Everyone has their own style of doing things, you will find a style that suits you best after some playing around.

Otherwise, enjoy and don't get excited if something goes crazy at first... Everyone has been down this road at one time or another and mistakes happen.. Try and read and learn from those before you.

Feel free to ask your fellow members and moderators, advisers for help in the respective thread if your ever unsure of something. One day you will be there to pass on what you have learned to others as they start their journey down this path.
    Paul
    Thanked by 2:
    mozy likes this.

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

^^^^^^^^^^ - Paul627g - dude - I really appreciate the comprehensive response - Your rock!
    Thanked by:

This is a preview of the settings screen in the upcoming rootzboat rom courtesy of birdman over at rootz. The devs are incorporating some wicked stuff. This is my fav rom, along with franco's kernel.
    The sheer volume of stuff to flash and mods to try makes me a happy camper.

Paul627g likes this.

I like that "captains/boat" theme of the screenshot...
    Paul

Paul did a wonderful job with your other questions....This one I will take on.
    When you are on a stock rom there is a file in /system called recovery on boot something or other. Sorry can't remember the exact name but you need to rename or delete that file.
    But since you are going to install a custom rom...I'm sure all of them have deleted the file for you.
    The three roms I have tried all have nuked that file, so you will be good to go, and your recovery will be permanent.
    Thanked by 2:
    mozyPaul627g 

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Thanks for all the help!

I have another question, this time about custom kernels. Do all all custom ROMs go with all custom kernels? If not how to do you tell which ones go together without experimenting? Is compatibility shown somewhere?

Thanks for all the help!

I have another question, this time about custom kernels. Do all all custom ROMs go with all custom kernels? If not how to do you tell which ones go together without experimenting? Is compatibility shown somewhere?
    All the custom roms out now except for revolution are 4.0.3. Most all if not all the custom kernels out are for 4.0.3 so you should be fine. Most all the roms have a kernel packed in as the rom dev sees fit.
    I like to flash stuff and mix and match so I choose to flash a different kernel, to monitor battery life on a specific kernel.

Just as long as the kernel says 4.0.3 and your rom is 4.0.3 based you will be fine.

Good luck, I am astonished how many roms and kernels there are to try. I am kinda sticking with the rootzboat rom, but in the past few days, I have flashed maybe 5 different kernels. Mostly in the interest of testing....plus its a lot of fun.

Once you start flashing stuff it gets really addicting. I have flashed about 4 different softkey mods today. lol
    Thanked by:
    mozy 

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    Paul did a wonderful job with your other questions....This one I will take on.
    When you are on a stock rom there is a file in /system called recovery on boot something or other. Sorry can't remember the exact name but you need to rename or delete that file.
    But since you are going to install a custom rom...I'm sure all of them have deleted the file for you.
    The three roms I have tried all have nuked that file, so you will be good to go, and your recovery will be permanent.
    Thanks - In case anyone else wants to know how to do this go here: [RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery *CDMA Edition* - xda-developers

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    All the custom roms out now except for revolution are 4.0.3. Most all if not all the custom kernels out are for 4.0.3 so you should be fine. Most all the roms have a kernel packed in as the rom dev sees fit.
    I like to flash stuff and mix and match so I choose to flash a different kernel, to monitor battery life on a specific kernel.

Just as long as the kernel says 4.0.3 and your rom is 4.0.3 based you will be fine.

Good luck, I am astonished how many roms and kernels there are to try. I am kinda sticking with the rootzboat rom, but in the past few days, I have flashed maybe 5 different kernels. Mostly in the interest of testing....plus its a lot of fun.

Once you start flashing stuff it gets really addicting. I have flashed about 4 different softkey mods today. lol
    Thanks again!

Does the order matter - kernels before ROMs or vice versa? I get the sense that it doesn't matter, but I don't want to assume.

ROM first then flash the kernel...

Whenever you flash a ROM packaged kernel will overwrite your existing kernel.
    Paul
    Thanked by:
    mozy