[Automated] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.2 (Updated 12/29/12)

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Automated] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.5.3 (Updated 08/18/12)

dreamxcape on 10-17-'12 posted:<<Hi, hope somebody can help me.
I've got a rooted GNexus (using Wug's toolkit). ROM is vanilla android 4.1.1. I've got the OTA update notification for 4.1.2. If I go ahead with installing this update:
1) Will I lose root?
2) Will i lose any apps (will it wipe the system)? >>

If you are unlocked, rooted and enjoying the freedom and goodness of the custom rom world, why in the world would you want to get the OTA?? There isn't that much in 4.1.2 that is worth it. JBS 2.5 is already 4.1.1 r6 which has nearly everything that's in 4.1.2. Just flash it. Besides, the devs (even the vanillas, most likely) will shortly incorporate 4.1.2.
But to your question. Yes, the OTA will lose your root. You will lose (or at least they won't work) any apps or parts thereof that require root until you root again. Your apps from google play store are easily restored but if you want their data too, you need something like TiBu or My Backup Pro before you go back to stock and take the OTA.
But once again, I ask Why? Why? Why?

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

dreamxcape on 10-17-'12 posted:<<Hi, hope somebody can help me.
I've got a rooted GNexus (using Wug's toolkit). ROM is vanilla android 4.1.1. I've got the OTA update notification for 4.1.2. If I go ahead with installing this update:
1) Will I lose root?
2) Will i lose any apps (will it wipe the system)? >>

If you are unlocked, rooted and enjoying the freedom and goodness of the custom rom world, why in the world would you want to get the OTA?? There isn't that much in 4.1.2 that is worth it. JBS 2.5 is already 4.1.1 r6 which has nearly everything that's in 4.1.2. Just flash it. Besides, the devs (even the vanillas, most likely) will shortly incorporate 4.1.2.
But to your question. Yes, the OTA will lose your root. You will lose (or at least they won't work) any apps or parts thereof that require root until you root again. Your apps from google play store are easily restored but if you want their data too, you need something like TiBu or My Backup Pro before you go back to stock and take the OTA.
But once again, I ask Why? Why? Why?

Edit: I don't know why this double posted. I think there is something wrong with the forum that is doing this.

Last edited:

WugFresh

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

Hello, I just realized that my notifications were disabled on this forum. I am sorry if I missed any questions. Please re-post them if I missed something and I will do my best to get back to you. Cheers.

{{ WugFresh }}

dhellerstein

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Automated] Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit

I rooted my nexus 7 with Nexus Root Toolkit 1.5.3. The Nexus 7 then updated to 4.1.2 OTA and I lost my root access. Using Nexus Root Toolkit v1.5.4 I tried to unlock, and it seemed to run, but after the "unlock bootloader" runs it boots into my old configuration, all my files and apps are there, and nothing is wiped. I have uninstalled the device and device drivers and reinstalled them, but it doesn't help. When I run the "Full driver test" I get a success message. If I use the 1.5.3 toolkit to unlock, will I be able to root using 1.5.4? My build is JZO54K and that does not show up in 1.5.3.
I tried flashing the old bootloader: bootloader-grouper-3.34.img, but that did not make any difference.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I rooted my nexus 7 with Nexus Root Toolkit 1.5.3. The Nexus 7 then updated to 4.1.2 OTA and I lost my root access. Using Nexus Root Toolkit v1.5.4 I tried to unlock, and it seemed to run, but after the "unlock bootloader" runs it boots into my old configuration, all my files and apps are there, and nothing is wiped. I have uninstalled the device and device drivers and reinstalled them, but it doesn't help. When I run the "Full driver test" I get a success message. If I use the 1.5.3 toolkit to unlock, will I be able to root using 1.5.4? My build is JZO54K and that does not show up in 1.5.3.
I tried flashing the old bootloader: bootloader-grouper-3.34.img, but that did not make any difference.

Thanks for your help.

You don't need to unlock it again... you lost root when you took the OTA, you only need to re-root. The bootloader remains unlocked unless you chose to lock it again. Skip the unlock step and try just rooting.

dhellerstein

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

You don't need to unlock it again... you lost root when you took the OTA, you only need to re-root. The bootloader remains unlocked unless you chose to lock it again. Skip the unlock step and try just rooting.

Thank you. It worked like a charm. Much appreciated.

dwc_sf

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

If you are unlocked, rooted and enjoying the freedom and goodness of the custom rom world, why in the world would you want to get the OTA?? There isn't that much in 4.1.2 that is worth it. JBS 2.5 is already 4.1.1 r6 which has nearly everything that's in 4.1.2. Just flash it.

So I can just load the JBS rom onto the phone and flash it? Straight from unlocked/rooted 4.0.4?

[Edit: I am not clear on if I can jump from 4.0.4 straight to a custom ROM. (I am unlocked and rooted) I did look at the JBS and install seems pretty simple (install ROM and Gapps). is it really that simple? Instructions pasted below:

1) Download Rom and Gapps to your Phone?s Storage drive and boot into recovery
2) Clear davlik cache
3) Wipe data/cache
4) Install your Chosen Team Sourcery Rom
5) Install Gapps
6) Boot into Rom
7) Sign in and wait for all market apps to Restore
8) After market apps have restored Reboot again
9) goto mods and install recovery mod. instructions in rom.
9) Enjoy

Thanks, I'm ready to go if that's all there is to it.

Last edited:

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

So I can just load the JBS rom onto the phone and flash it? Straight from unlocked/rooted 4.0.4?

[Edit: I am not clear on if I can jump from 4.0.4 straight to a custom ROM. (I am unlocked and rooted) I did look at the JBS and install seems pretty simple (install ROM and Gapps). is it really that simple? Instructions pasted below:

1) Download Rom and Gapps to your Phone’s Storage drive and boot into recovery
2) Clear davlik cache
3) Wipe data/cache
4) Install your Chosen Team Sourcery Rom
5) Install Gapps
6) Boot into Rom
7) Sign in and wait for all market apps to Restore
8) After market apps have restored Reboot again
9) goto mods and install recovery mod. instructions in rom.
9) Enjoy

Thanks, I'm ready to go if that's all there is to it.
That's exactly what I did. I am now on JBS3.0 which is JB 4.1.2!
I use TWRP recovery and after full wipe select both the rom and the gapps at the same time. They recommend not using Rom manager. Check the JB Sourcery wallpapers as well. Pretty soon the custom themes will catch up. Already have scrolling appointments across the lockscreen as well as weather on the lockscreen. Reams of Custom slider targets from the lockscreen. Custom status bar toggles and nav bar icons. Tons of different boot animations. Tweaks and mods to keep you busy until 2020. The Sourcery team is always monitoring the rootzwiki thread for the rom and other forums as well. They are very responsive if you are having trouble.

Edit: When I went from ICS to JB I did flash the JB Bootloader but I understand it was not necessary. Just sped things up a little at boot.

Last edited:

wam1234

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Do I need to re-lock the bootloader if I want Flash stock and unroot? I have a verizon galaxy nexus and I want to go back to stock and update to official jelly bean.

- - - Updated - - -

Do I need to re-lock the bootloader if I want Flash stock and unroot? I have a verizon galaxy nexus and I want to go back to stock and update to official jelly bean.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

Well, if you must, you must-though I cannot understand why (unless you are selling it or returning it to Verizon for a replacement or repair)..The tool kit has a section called "back to stock" with a button entitled "Flash Stock and Unroot" You really don't need to re-lock to receive the update. Heck, you really don't even have to un-root to get the update. The update will leave you unrooted. Bear in mind that if you have changed or removed any system files the update will most likely fail. That's why you might as well "Flash Stock and Unroot". After you have the update, just go back to the tool kit and the "Root section and button to re-root. If you don't want to re-root and If you still want to re-lock the bootloader after that go to the "Relock" section and the button "OEM Lock" Your phone will be all factory settings as if you had just bought it at the Verizon store. Not sure but whether re-locking erases you pics and music but I know that unlocking does.

WugFresh

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Automated] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.5.4 (Updated 10/11/12)

Well, if you must, you must-though I cannot understand why (unless you are selling it or returning it to Verizon for a replacement or repair)..The tool kit has a section called "back to stock" with a button entitled "Flash Stock and Unroot" You really don't need to re-lock to receive the update. Heck, you really don't even have to un-root to get the update. The update will leave you unrooted. Bear in mind that if you have changed or removed any system files the update will most likely fail. That's why you might as well "Flash Stock and Unroot". After you have the update, just go back to the tool kit and the "Root section and button to re-root. If you don't want to re-root and If you still want to re-lock the bootloader after that go to the "Relock" section and the button "OEM Lock" Your phone will be all factory settings as if you had just bought it at the Verizon store. Not sure but whether re-locking erases you pics and music but I know that unlocking does.

+1, and relocking doesn't wipe.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

Version 1.5.5 is now up in the OP. You can also get it through the built in updater if you are on v1.5.4.

{{ WugFresh }}

Brickface

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Link is broken

Edit: now it's working again

Oh no, my build is JRO03O I hope the JR003C selection works.

Last edited:

Bnails21

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Automated] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.5.5 (Updated 11/04/12)

I was rooted when I was on 4.0.4 but lost root when I updated to 4.1.1. I tried rooting again with Wugs toolkit and it goes through the process but once it's done I'm still not rooted. It also will not let me flash a custom recovery. Superuser is still on my device from before the update to 4.1.1 and it asks me to update the binaries but I get a failed error every time I try to update. Any suggestions?..... Also do I need root or just an unlocked bootloader to flash a custom rom and can I flash a custom rom with Wugs toolkit and bypass using the custom recovery?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I was rooted when I was on 4.0.4 but lost root when I updated to 4.1.1. I tried rooting again with Wugs toolkit and it goes through the process but once it's done I'm still not rooted. It also will not let me flash a custom recovery. Superuser is still on my device from before the update to 4.1.1 and it asks me to update the binaries but I get a failed error every time I try to update. Any suggestions?..... Also do I need root or just an unlocked bootloader to flash a custom rom and can I flash a custom rom with Wugs toolkit and bypass using the custom recovery?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The toolkit ought to be able to flash a custom recovery for you (though not permanently), from which you can flash a ROM regardless of whether you currently have root. You can fastboot a recovery as well if the toolkit isn't working -- check the unlocking guide and skip to the part about flashing a recovery.

Going forward, if you are stock and rooted and about to take an OTA, first install OTA Rootkeeper, which will restore your root access for you after the OTA. Will just make things easier for you. :)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I was in this boat two weeks ago. Wugs old version messed me up big time. I updated it on my pc. Your bootloader should still be unlocked no? If that is the case go into custom recovery and wipe data cache delvik.

I then let the phone boot up and lost root. I tried fast boot but didn't work out.
I then used Wugs to root and then rom manager to update recovery.
I then flashed a rom. Two days of phone hell

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

Tried to flash a rom with 1.5.5. Nexus 7. Log shows caches were wiped and system wiped box shows zip pushed but is not there. E: failed to mount external storage using internal storage
unable to locate zip file..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia