Can't find a good rom.. suggestions!

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Nah, I remember jd's 'work' from 2 years ago. I'm sure he's still a hack.

Regardless of his past, his kernel runs the best on my device. It's buttery smooth. I've tried them all and I always come back to his. It's rock stable and fast. Nuff said.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mack

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. My only question now is my fascinate outperforms this phone. The graphic test lags on quadrant . The database writes are super slow compared to the fascinate. Any tips?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. My only question now is my fascinate outperforms this phone. The graphic test lags on quadrant . The database writes are super slow compared to the fascinate. Any tips?

Ignore quad scores?

They are notoriously an unreliable indicator or real performance especially when you are comparing two very different versions of Android.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Ignore quad scores?

They are notoriously an unreliable indicator or real performance especially when you are comparing two very different versions of Android.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Not only that but quadrant isn't optimized for ICS yet.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
AXIOM 2.4 with Franco's latest kernel. Buttery bliss.

I'm on Axiom as well, though with whatever kernel installed with the ROM. It's extremely fast and smooth. I'm curious, did you switch to the Franco kernel because you found the one Axiom uses by default slower? I'm just wondering what made you try a different one, and if you feel the ROM actually runs better on the one your using? I'm trying to decide if I might want to try a different kernel, even though the one I have seems perfect. Can it get perfect-er?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Who cares about benchmarks that may or may not be accurate? Why not just assess the phone's performance based on how it feels while you're using it -- or does that make too much sense?

Reactions: 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Who cares about benchmarks that may or may not be accurate? Why not just assess the phone's performance based on how it feels while you're using it -- or does that make too much sense?

+1 I think benchmarks are the most useless things people get obsessed over and post endlessly about. I've never download a benchmark app or paid attention to a post about them. Just use your freaking phones, play some games, push it if you want, see how it responds. Benchmarks tell you absolutely NIL about anything.

Rant ended.

I just flashed franco's kernel, nightly 10, (I'm on axi0m 2.4 as well) since there's been a lot of talk about it and DT said he's been running it and all. Seems really great so far.. its only the 2nd kernel I've run that handles wind up knight (lol) without any lag (first was JD Kernel). I think I'd be equally happy sticking with franco's or JD's... I'm not that picky, as long as they get the job done smoothly I'm a happy camper.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I wish quads were a solid indicator of how one ROM stacked up to another or to stock but it's not that simple, unfortunately.

It's been demonstrated that devs can build or optimize a ROM so it does really well in quads but for day to day stuff it doesn't "feel" as snappy as other ROMs. For the most part, dev have stopped relying on quad scores to show their ROMs are fast.

Additionally, just try running like 5 quads and watch how much they vary, it'll be a fair amount. Then, if your ROM supports it, start playing with governors and then re-run the quads using a few different ones. You'll again find they are all over the place. There are plenty of other settings both in the kernel and not that can affect the score

To say a ROM gets an arbitrary number like 2500 is really meaningless because we really have no context about the specific device settings that got you that number even if the numbers were consistent, which they aren't. I'm sure people that are smarter than me could point out other issues with leaning too heavy on quad scores.

As was previously stated, the best bet it just to use the ROM for a few days and get a good over all feel for it. If you like it, keep it for a bit until something better comes along.

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Axiom as well, though with whatever kernel installed with the ROM. It's extremely fast and smooth. I'm curious, did you switch to the Franco kernel because you found the one Axiom uses by default slower? I'm just wondering what made you try a different one, and if you feel the ROM actually runs better on the one your using? I'm trying to decide if I might want to try a different kernel, even though the one I have seems perfect. Can it get perfect-er?

The only reason I switched kernels is because folks who know more than me about these things (over in the official AXIOM thread at RootzWiki) were absolutely raving about it in combination with AXIOM 2.4. A couple of the folks ran tests and posted results that were really impressive as far as battery life goes. So, I made the switch. Everything is working wonderfully and running smoothly. Battery life has been great for me too. If you switch to Franco's kernel, it's worth adding his updater app from the marketplace, as that's the only way you can enable hotplug, which you definitely want to do. Hotplug turns off one of the cpu's while the screen is off for even more battery savings.

dude9000

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So many choices, I have only tried Bugless beast so far. I used to follow Pete and bugless beast on my OG. Super smooth and excellent battery life.. I love this phone( my girlfriend is pretty sick of hearing about it)

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
There are a ton of roms and mods to choose from. It's a flashaholics dream. Right now I'm running Axiom 2.4 and digging it so far.

jpbass7

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently running Pete's Bugless Beast with faux123's kernel, and it is beautiful. Still assessing battery life. RootzWiki has a list of ROMs/kernels/etc. It's a good menu of what's out there.

This phone has been available for less than a month and there are already so many good ROMs. So f-ing cool!