Anyone using NFC tags with their Galaxy Nexus?

wheezy276

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Just got my NFC tags and love this idea. Props to Erik (gnapoleon2) above for setting me onto the idea.

No, with NFC Task Launcher you can set up a tag profile, basically applying 2 task sets to one tag. For instance, I have a tag on my work phone that I will use when I get in the office to turn on WiFi, vibrate, etc. When I leave, I will scan the same tag to turn off wifi and open my bus tracker. Took about 5 minutes to figure it all out and set up the tag.

EDIT: On a side note, does anyone know if NFC tags (standard Mifare Classic 1K) are safe to put near other device's screens? For example, I just stuck one inside the case of my Transformer Prime so that I can enable WiFi tether on my way to work. I just want to make sure that because it faces and touches the screen while inside the case that it cannot do any damage through any electromagnetic field or something like that. Doubtful but overprotective of my expensive gadgets.

Probably safer using a non-metal sticker to avoid interference:

Anti-Metal NFC Sticker - UL | BUYNFCTAGS.COM

Just a guess :)

Reactions: whiteth

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just got the tags from tag stand also. Very sweet. If you don't get them formatted, there is an app in the market that will format them. I got the bulls eye tags. One in my car so far. Works well with NFC Task launcher. Tap and hear the beep for confirmation :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I plan using a tag along with NFC Task Launcher with MoPhotos Pro.

Slap a programmed tag on my Sony NEX-5N or on a card in my camera bag and have it set to grab pictures with MoPhotos off the camera's Eye-fi card and upload them to the cloud thru my phone's data connection.

lakedubvt

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know of a way to add a pause between tasks? When I get to work, I want to enable WIFI, and open a browser, but the browser opens instantly and the WIFI takes 5 seconds or so to connect.

Anyone know how to add a pause?

You can add a pause with the app Tasker. Then launch the task with nfc task launcher..

lakedubvt

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know how to select a specific Bluetooth device that doesn't already auto connect

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't really know much about NFC, but in order for it to work, don't you have to tap the device on the tag physically to trigger the tag event? I like the idea from the OP about having tags set your phone's profile when you're at certain places...but I would find it kind of annoying if I have to tap the phone on the tag when I got home. OF course, if that's not a requirement, then that would be a great convenience feature.

But think of it this way, now your constantly draining battery looking for GPS coordinates. Now your just have to take your phone out (like you do all the time if your an android junkie) and tape a sticker. Simple. Sounds annoying when you think about having one more take when you get in/out the car, in/out of the house, and more. Just a thought.

danfinger

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
such a great idea. My first tag goes on the boombotix

64-04263

neilphillips

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey Mike (/anyone) how is this done? don't you need three tags, or is there an intermediary service for this?

Scouring the web for other uses and found one action where the use of NFC tags has an advantage: checking in via foursquare, Facebook Places and Google Places.

Just place a conspicuous tag near the entrance of your business. Customers touch phone to tag as they walk in. Bingo: You've just checked in to the location based service of your choice with a tap (or all of them simultaneously if you use multiple).

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I ordered my tags last week from tagstand.
ordered both indoor and outdoor ones...can't wait to try them out.

My wife has an iphone, but when she gets the iphone5 and if it has nfc then how awesome would it be to have her or I have a tag in the kitchen that would launch the app our groceries, or a to do list, etc. or an alert to remember the kids lunch bag, etc.?

barchamb

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I can't get any tags to program using nfc task launcher. All tagstsnd tags giving me io errors

Did you order formatted tags or non-formatted ones? Are you running stock 4.0.2, or a custom ROM with 4.0.3 or 4.0.4? Prior to 4.0.3, ICS had a bug that could not format tags. So, you'll need to update to 4.0.3 or higher, or buy formatted tags. If you bought formatted tags, or you are running 4.0.3 or higher, then I'm not sure what's wrong.

I ordered some formatted tags on Monday, and I'm still waiting for them to come in, so I haven't tried this myself yet. Just passing on info that I've read elsewhere. Once my tags come in and I've had a chance to play with them, I will report back here...

orca1

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

didn?t want to buy nfc tags ... so I tried the app NFC Retag ... some cool features (like Tasker integration) and no need of buying tags ... i use my orca card and some old hotel keys ....

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Huge Edit:

The following are some noobish questions and observations after some basic testing of my new NFC tags (thanks tagstand).

Stats:
CodenameDroid 1.3.3
Android 4.0.3
FrancoKernel 17.2
Outdoor Type 2 NFC stickers - 48 byte (I'll be using them indoor but figured better for wear and tear)
NFC Task Launcher

1. Noobish question - If I just leave wifi on all the time, is it draining my battery while it constantly looks for a signal? For some reason just never thought about this.

2. I have a feeling not all tags are created equal. Formatted two tags (I thought I read that it's not necessary, but figured it won't hurt) and applied the same profile to both. One tag is definitely more responsive than the other as the other one hardly ever works. (Glad I bought ten to start trying this out).

3. While one tag is more responsive, it is still not quite instantaneous. This could be due to these being a bit thicker as they are made for outdoors or we need to set some expectations on how effective or fast of a solution this is.

4. Where is the NFC reader in the phone? Does that even make a difference? As in, is there some sort of sweet spot? I can't tell if it's simply get the phone in the vicinity of the tag, left to right swipe, or A,B,A,B up, down, up down?

Bonus question: What is orca talking about with the old hotel keys? I have access to plenty of those.

Thanks

Last edited:

orca1

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Huge Edit:
Bonus question: What is orca talking about with the old hotel keys? I have access to plenty of those.
Thanks

I use old hotel keys with the app NFC Retag.

Some of the hotel keys (without the magnetic stripe) are write protected NFC tags .... and thats all I need for this app ... no need to buy blank tags ....:p

Reactions: orlanka
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI tagstand is sending out new cards to people who bought them recently. The cards are reporting as having a filesize of 138/142 bits but you can only write 33 as of right now.

Was on the phone with the maker and also via emails with the developer Josh who makes nfc task launcher.

At least I know what the problem was!

beerhound

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Huge Edit:

1. Noobish question - If I just leave wifi on all the time, is it draining my battery while it constantly looks for a signal? For some reason just never thought about this.

4. Where is the NFC reader in the phone? Does that even make a difference? As in, is there some sort of sweet spot? I can't tell if it's simply get the phone in the vicinity of the tag, left to right swipe, or A,B,A,B up, down, up down?

Thanks

WiFi is always using power when it is turned on and just like your cell radio, it uses more juice when it is searching or in a weak signal area. It does use less power than the cell radio, especially when the cell is in a weak/no coverage area. To save the most in battery life, turn WiFi on when you have access to a signal and turn if off when you don't.

My guess about the NFC reader would be the battery because that is where the NFC antenna is located.

Reactions: orlanka