1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HELP! Unlocked Nexus now it won't start!!

Hello,

I hope there is someone out there who can help...I bought an unlocked nexus and it has worked perfectly fine for a week until today. I was on FB on my phone when the screen froze and turned greenish and then my phone turned off. I pressed the power button and it was stuck on the black Google screen with the open padlock. I cannot get the bootloader to work and when I connect my phone to the computer it says "device not found." I am not sure what else to do from here. Is there way to fix my phone if it isn't recognized by my computer and will not turn on?

Someone please help me out here!!!

Thanks
    Last edited by jyates001; 01-06-2012 at 11:08 PM.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Default Re: HELP! Unlocked Nexus now it won't start!!

Have you tried pulling the battery out for a little bit and then powering the phone back on. Also make sure your phone is charged... leave it charging for an hour or so before trying to turn it back on.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes I left the battery pulled over night. It was also plugged into the charger for an hour or so but it the entire time it was flashing the black google screen over and over. Any other ideas? I can get it to display the boot screen once in a while but it does not let me select any of the options it shuts off too quick.

Have you tried pressing and holding both volume keys while pressing the power button?

First, I don't think it has anything to do with being unlocked or rooted, as you ran fine for a few days. I've read a number of times where someone had a screwed up device that finally go booted back up after pulling the battery 8 or 10 or 15 times. Might as well try...you've got nothing else to do until some brighter advice comes along.

You might want to think back to the day this happened and recall any new apps you installed, settings changes you made, dropping the phone, getting it wet, etc... If you did install a new app and get yours back up, I'd definitely remove whatever you put on it.

Might also try removing and reinstalling the Samsung drivers on your pc and trying to get it to recognize the phone again.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Did you get it working? Are you able to boot into hboot by powering on while holding volume up and down at the same time? If you can get into hboot try going into recovery and try restoring any backup you may have made or do a factory reset.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks for all the suggestions but unforunately so far nothing has worked....I was using fb when it crashed but had not downloaded anything new that day and I haven't dropped it or gotten it wet at all. I did read the article about the soft brick but I am having problems following this part:

"On Windows, go to your Device Manager with the Nexus plugged in and in Fastboot mode. You'll probably see a device called "Android 1.0" with a yellow warning icon (indicating it has no driver).

Right click on "Android 1.0", select update driver, then hit browse my computer for driver software. Select the option for Let me pick from list, select all drivers, have disk, then going into SDK in the drivers folder, select the third file down, open, click on the top choice "Android Bootloader Interface". It should install from there. Your phone should then be recognized by SDK for flashing the img file.
    "

I have downloaded the drivers from Samsung's site and have tried updating them but still get the same results. When trying to follow these instructions from above I cannot find the SDK folder or the "Andriod Bootloader Interface."

And occassionally my phone will turn on the boot screen after pushing power and volume up/down but it will not let me select anything because it powers back off almost immediately and goes back to the google screen.

I'm feeling super discouraged.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thinking I will just have to return it or try out a repair shop.
    Last edited by jyates001; 01-06-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Try using wugfresh's method. It can be found on this forum.
    http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22678

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Yes I have also downloaded wugfresh's program but it says there are no devices found. I know I must be having problems with the drivers but I have installed and reinstalled the Samsung drivers several times with no change and I have tried updating them. And for some reason PdaNet will not download (even before I was having problems it would not download).

Go to Cyber Warrior's unlock and root guide. Look at the bottom of his 1st post. He explains what to do if your computer can't see your phone. It only takes a few minutes.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I have followed the steps in Cyber Warrior's troubleshooting post and have updated and selected the drivers over and over. Sometimes when I plug the phone in it pops up in the device manager as Samsung Android Phone and sometimes it comes up with the error symbol. When the error symbol has come up I have went into the properties and updated it following the steps described by Cyber Warrior but it has not made a difference.

Is it staying powered on or shutting down on you when you do that?

When you plug it into the computer, do you here sound that pc normally makes when something gets plugged in?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

It will not stay turned on no matter what I do...it constantly turns off and back on until I pull the battery. And when I plug it into my computer yes it makes that noise - first the "happy" noise and then the "error" noise one right after another until I unplug my phone.

Have you looked into Odin? There is a Odin method to return to stock floating around the Nexus forums someplace. Odin has helped me out several times. I even used it to root and unlock my GNex. I don't think I can post links yet.....sorry. Just google returning nexus to stock with Odin (or something if that nature). Good luck too!!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Thank you to all that provided suggestions but I am giving up and taking it to a repair shop tomorrow I lack the time, patience, and knowledge to fix it so best to let someone more qualified take a shot at it.

I am running latest Axiom

Mine worked fine until I went to bed. Turned it off to charge as normal and stuck on charger(didn't pay attention to see if it lit up). Woke up and it is dead. Tried to hold down volume buttons + power, tried taking out battery & sim card then holding down power for 10 seconds, and tried another battery that's fully charged(I have the extra battery & external charger). Zilch, a completely dead phone.

I have had zero problems in the 3 weeks I've owned it and been using Axiom. I haven't downloaded a new app in at least a week maybe longer. The computer won't recognize it at all so I can't unroot or do anything to the phone. Please help!!