1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New rooter..

I am going to be rooting my gnex and have a few questions.

1. The radio on my nexus is terrible, to a point where verizon thinks defective. Waiting on an open issue ticket for a response. Possibly getting a replacement. Should I wait to root? Or unroot before returning?

2. I like my stock set up. I have all my accounts set up in k9, Facebook, and twitter etc... what is best way to backup my phone now before root?

3. What exactly is a kernal and why does it benefit to have a custom?

4. Unlocking a bootloader just allows for custom options at start up correct? Something like clockwork adds features to allow a device root options?

5. To flash is to apply something? Flashing a rom means putting the rom on your device?

6. Going back to question 1, has anyone had bad radio issues that have been corrected with a 4.0.3 rom?

Sorry for so many questions but I am new. I have done much research, but always like to confirm things. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Default Re: New rooter..

Just wait and see if you get a new phone. After you find out for sure, then go ahead and unlock and root. I wouldn't go to the trouble of unlocking and rooting if you're going to have to end up sending it back because you'll have to undo all of that.

What are your radio problems...dropped calls, bad signal, no data, is it OK in different areas?

1. If you think it's going to be Monday before you here an answer from Verizon, I'd go ahead and root to see if a new radio or ROM (with a new radio) fixes things. You've got the whole weekend to goof off with it.

2. Some apps have there own back up function under settings. If any that you're concerned with have this, make the backups, then before you unlock the bootloader, plug up to your pc, find the directories that those backed up apps created and copy them to your pc (copy the whole directory). After unlocking and rooting, copy them back. After you reinstall those apps, you can probably restore your stuff. For any apps that don't have there own backup function, you're out of luck. Unlocking the bootloader wipes everything from your phone, including pictures and music, so copy that to your pc as well.

3. I've read the kernel described as the engine in a car. It's what processes the things you touch on your phone. I usually stick with whatever kernel the developer of a ROM uses in the ROM, unless there are problems, then I might try a different one.

4. Unlocking the bootloader allows you to root and install custom ROMs on your phone, if you choose to do that.

5. Yes.

6. I have had no radio issues on my phone, neither when it was stock, nor with newer radios that come with some ROMs.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

For me... I see improvements in the 4.0.3 radio over 4.0.2. The kernel controls your CPU which powers the phone. Improvements would be the options to undervolt... which lowers the voltage and increases battery life or the option to overclock... which would speed up the phone. As greydarrah mentioned... think of it as the engine of the phone. Also is the option to control the governors of the CPU... to where you have options like "on demand"... which conserves the CPU increasing battery life or "interactive"... which is a combo of high performance while still maintaining good battery life. Then you also have added options by the devs like the interactiveX governors or the smartass governors... which automatically detects the best speeds for how the phone is being used. Example... when the screen is turned off and not being used... the governor will switch to the lowest speeds that the phone needs which in return will also increase battery life.

As for backup apps... look into MyBackup Pro. It does a good job of backing up everything you need. Then once rooted... you can use apps like Titanium or MyBackup for root users... which will backup your apps plus their data/settings.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

If I don't hear anything tomorrow, going to root. I figure even if they replace it, won't see it until mid week anyway. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it!

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

My radio does not stay connected to data.. 3g or 4g. Almost never have 4g in an area with excellent coverage. My bars constantly go grey with no indication of which network it is trying to connect. Dbm reading is always around 108-120 while sitting next to verizon iPhone 4 at 81-91. Calls are only muffled, only dropped once.

i just got my gn a couple of days ago. i came from the original droid after two years. i thought i was gonnabe super impressex with this phone. i am not! sitting next to the razr with 2-4 bars of 4g i barely get 1-2 bars of 3g. and as far as the operating system , there are some really cool things but nothin i caouldnt live without , especially if ive never messed with them. just worried about battery situatio. with razr if i switched. any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DM3 prod View Post
    i just got my gn a couple of days ago. i came from the original droid after two years. i thought i was gonnabe super impressex with this phone. i am not! sitting next to the razr with 2-4 bars of 4g i barely get 1-2 bars of 3g. and as far as the operating system , there are some really cool things but nothin i caouldnt live without , especially if ive never messed with them. just worried about battery situatio. with razr if i switched. any thoughts?
    First, welcome to Android Central.

I have no idea why you posted this here in this guys thread about rooting his GN (you might get more responses to your issues in the main section of the Verizon Nexus forum), but if you're not impressed with this phone and you like the razr, take the GN back and get the razr. I get great reception on my GN, but Motorola's "thing" is the radio. They always seem to have the best. If you're into rooting and ROMing, I'd think hard about giving up the GN. No other phone is going to have the updates or the developer support that it has. As far as the non removable battery on the razr, I could never live with that, but it's not such a big deal to others.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/