Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default who is rooted but is not flashing roms and why

I would like to know how many people have rooted but not flashed any roms yet and why have you not done that yet. I go back and forth. One day im running a rom and the next day im putting my phone back to stock then i read some forums and see some roms updating and i gots to do it all over again . I cant figure out what i want. Its the developers fault they make great roms and there are a bunch of them. At the same time i notice a lot of people that have not flashed any roms and i just want to know why. I think that for the first time android is very good ( always good but just got a whole lot better) and that it looks really good that i can see why people dont want to right now. I think that says something about the direction that android is going. Better and better. Also has anyone unrooted once or more. I need to make up my mind. Going back to stock ( have gone back three times) i need to start all over again. Its a bummer it wipes eveything. I love stock and i love roms.

Default Re: who is rooted but is not flashing roms and why

im rooted and dont run roms only cuz im still trying to understand the whole process lol right now im trying to figure out what the h@ll is a nandroid backup and how do i do it lol
    Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    822 Global Posts

I get root access and stability. ROMs are great but usually I like a bug less worry free experience.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'd consider rooting to have access to more apps that require root but I don't really want to flash another rom

Quote Originally Posted by robstunner View Post
    I get root access and stability. ROMs are great but usually I like a bug less worry free experience.

Axiom 2.4... Just sayin : )
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

I rooted my dinc originally for removing bloatware and screen shots.
    I didn't root my nexus until a week or two ago because it's a pita to do if you follow droid-life's directions.

Cyberwarrior made it easy here.

I don't do roms because usually something is left out.
    Root for titanium backup alone is worth it.

I actually like stock ICS but everyone loves nova launcher. I just want the text only launcher buttons

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

The reason I held out until this past week was due to the number of roms being produced that seemed to have a lot of bugs still. If you start reading a thread about this great new fast rom, then read the posts to find out that the camera doesn't work or the market apps won't update, you tend to stay away until you find something that looks like it actually works. I am running Axiom 2.4 as well with the Nova launcher. When I wiped to install the rom, I lost Nova. Setting up the launcher is almost as bad as reinstalling all the apps. Now that Nova now has backup and restore settings, it makes setting up after a wipe a lot easier.
    Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    822 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shanimal92 View Post

Had a few minor bugs with it. Bluetooth audio irregularly.

If you unlock, root and flash a ROM, then want to go back to stock, I have no idea why you would unroot your phone. At least, that what it sounds like the OP is doing from the way I read it. Maybe I misunderstood. If you're going to run a ROM, the first thing you should do is make a nandroid copy of your stock ROM. That should be done as soon as you have unlocked the phone, rooted and set up your home screens. That way, if you ever want to go back to stock, you just restore that nandroid backup in a few minutes time. There is no need to unroot. Being unlocked and rooted has absolute no effect on your phone being stock or not. It just gives you the option of moving away from stock if you choose to do so. It's really no different than going on a Windows pc, starting up file explorer and under tools, checking the box that says "Show Hidden System Files." Just because you have made it so that you can now see the hidden system files hasn't changed you pc or Windows. That's all unlocking and rooting does...lets you see the hidden files. What you decide to do with those files is what can change things.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

i guess I should have mentioned that I did that the first time to make sure I could just in case something went wrong. The other time I did it because I want to be able to get and install oat updates. I know that there isn't one at the moment but I'm old fashioned and I like to get the notification of an update. If you have clockwork installed then it won't work so I went back to stock. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense. I like stock so much but at the same time running on a rom is also nice. I guess in some ways I want someone to convince me why I shouldnt be on a rom. But then again roms are awesome. I do get what I want from a rom but I also get what I want from stock. So you see its a sickness, I'm a confused flasher

Global Posts
    6,704 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I have my Nexus unlocked and rooted but havent flashed a custom Rom Yet.
    I got it on Dec.15th unlocked and rooted on Dec.17th.
    Im familar with the flashing process as having had both my Incredible rooted an custom Romed as well as my DX .
    Main reason I roooted nexus now was to have access to my root only apps.I will eventually flash a custom Rom though

I rooted and I'm not running any roms for the simple fact that I'm still liking stock ICS. I may change my mind at some point and I may not.

Global Posts
    1,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogrnmod 10.2

For me, Google Wallet is sloooowly evolving from a novelty to a viable payment alternative as I get more comfortable with using it (always that leap of faith during that nanosecond where you wonder if it will or won't work).

Also, I miss the persistent search button, and that can only be restored via MOD.

I rooted as soon as I got it but did not flash flash a custom ROM for almost a week. My reasoning was I wanted to learn the new 4.0 interface and features before so I know how it works and then I will have a better understanding of the operating system. I am now running CM9 Kang and it works great. I love the notification bar just like in CM7 and the reboot option. I don't understand why stock android does not included these.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Android Revolution HD 2.1.2

I unlocked when I got the phone, just so I won't have to wipe in the future. Haven't found a real need to root yet, so I haven't done it. I like ICS, I'm using the Wifi tether loophole, not too worried about backups. At some point I will probably want to flash a rom, maybe when I get bored, but I'm happy right now and don't see a reason to do it. Glad I have the flexibility, though.

Global Posts
    1,281 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tony bag o donuts View Post
    I rooted my dinc originally for removing bloatware and screen shots.
    I didn't root my nexus until a week or two ago because it's a pita to do if you follow droid-life's directions.

Cyberwarrior made it easy here.

I don't do roms because usually something is left out.
    Root for titanium backup alone is worth it.

I actually like stock ICS but everyone loves nova launcher. I just want the text only launcher buttons
    I did a little write up on how i did the text only launcher buttons.

Dock Icons - How was this done?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by robstunner View Post

This. I root to be able to use anttek app manager to freeze out the stock apps I don't use and remove the bloat. I like ROMS, just I never get the stability with someone's homebrew rom that the developer pays millions to create and qc it. I'm pretty bored with stock ics, so I might play but random reboots always brings me back to stock.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

My Gnex arrives tomorrow I plan on waiting for a week before I root it (we'll see how long I can actually hold out) I will plan on waiting for a while before I try a rom. My Dinc and Tbolt are both rooted and since this will be my 1st ICS phone I believe that learning the new os will keep me amused for a while. I also like to run the os for a while so I can establish a base by which I can gauge the performance of whatever rom I install.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by shanimal92 View Post
    Liquid ICS or AOKP, just saying.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

rooted, unlocked stock ICS. i like access to apps that require ROOT, I like titanium, etc. i like stock because i just dont have time to mess around with buggy ROMs. with my dinc and dinc2, when a real good one would come out, i would play with it sometimes but normally stock. there are only a couple of things ICS doesnt have that would even make me want to switch. the notification bar options are something i would like to have. i bet i could do that without a ROM, just havnt looked.

ROMs are just a fun part of owning a Nexus, but if anyone doesn't want to mess with them, there's nothing wrong with that. What I can't understand is why anyone would unlock, root, then unroot and re-lock the phone. Being rooting has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you are experience a stock phone. Rooted and other wise stock is EXACTLY the same as being stock and not rooted. Rooting gives you the ability to modify the phone, ONLY of you choose to do so. It's exactly the same thing as going onto Windows File Explorer and clicking on the box that says "show hidden system files." You haven't changed Windows at all, unless you decide to do something to those system files that you can now see.

I recommend making a nandroid backup of your phone after rooting and installing all your apps and setting the phone/screens up as you want them. Then, no matter how many ROMs you try, you can always go back to stock in a matter of minutes. You can even get an OTA update from there (though that might make you lose your root).
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    davey11 likes this.

I root for access to the command line, system files, and to use titanium backup.
    I have never had the desire to use an alternate ROM.

ROM
    Axiom Patient Zero

I am rooted and have gummy ROM with franco's kernel , and also running Nova launcher and I love it. I am somewhat confused as to what people not wanting to put a ROM on, because it is glichy or what not? Mine has been running perfect and I absolutely love it. Highly advise gummy and franco also.
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    I have never had the desire to use an alternate ROM.
    i guess you never had a thunderbolt then.

* INCREDIBLE * MECHA * TORO * GROUPER * GALAXY S3 *
    * [TORO RADIOS] * [NEXUS WALLS] * [GROUPER GUIDE] * [CHATTER] *

Quote Originally Posted by zero neck View Post
    i guess you never had a thunderbolt then.
    Nope. A droid 2, droid x, now the nexus. Had I purchased a TB and it was a bad device, I would have returned it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast