Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigcatman
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Default Root Or Not To Root?

I've been an Android user and supporter since I got my D1 on launch day. Since then a DX at launch, Thunderbolt at launch, and a Bionic at launch. I rooted each one of my previous devices and tweeked it to my preference within a few days of getting it.

After experiencing the pain of being an early adopter of the the TB and Bionic I waited a bit after the launch before moving on to the GNex. After reading a couple weeks of good experiences I jumped in.

Kind wierd as I'm not feeling the need to root yet? Nice clean UI, ability to take screenshots, PDA net for tether works fine. No bloat to speak of.

The only thing I want that I can't have right now is a transparent version of News and Weather Geni.

My question for those of you that are just "power users" and not developer types is: what did you do to enhance your GNex after rooting that required rooting?

Thanks
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Root Or Not To Root?

I haven't rooted or rommed either. Unlocked the bootloader first thing just in case, but I like the stock ICS, I use the wifi tether loophole, and I haven't felt the need to back up the device. Only thing I would like is a 4g/3g toggle widget (which I think you can get on some roms?).

I'm rooted and love it. The thing I love the most is battery life. I can go through the hole day at work and come home with 75% battery left. Another thing I love is how I can theme the phone. The rom I'm on now the lock screen options are phone, message and camera. Over clocking and under clocking was never my thing. There are so many good Devs that support the GN also. Truthfuly there are 2 to 3 roms that run better than stock. Crazy but that's how good the devs are on this phone. Root and you will see how sweet this phone really is. Good luck and don't for get to wipe.

This is not the phone to have if you aren't going to root. That's like buying a ferrari just to sit in. This phone is an absolute beast. Unlock its potential!

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk
    SuperChargedJ likes this.

ROM
    JellyBeans

I am very happy that i rooted and romed this phone.

battery life
    I just calibrated my battery, took 22 1/2 hours to run it down.
    Played angry birds wile streaming Pandora for about 3 hours, lots of phone calls/texts, Facebook and on 4g the entire time.

The current kernel i am using allows you to turn off a core when the screen is not on, that plus the ability to lower the operating speed when the screen is not on.......Will vastly improve your battery life.

P.S.
    Customization...icons, soft keys, and a hundred other mods and tweaks out there.

Currently on Codename Android 1.0.1, with Franco's #12 kernel and Nova launcher.
    Sent Via..Raven from Kings Landing
    BB Storm 1 > Samsung Droid Charge > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Samsung Galaxy Note II & LG G Pad 8.3

Quote Originally Posted by mannw1977 View Post
    I'm rooted and love it. The thing I love the most is battery life. I can go through the hole day at work and come home with 75% battery left. Another thing I love is how I can theme the phone. The rom I'm on now the lock screen options are phone, message and camera. Over clocking and under clocking was never my thing. There are so many good Devs that support the GN also. Truthfuly there are 2 to 3 roms that run better than stock. Crazy but that's how good the devs are on this phone. Root and you will see how sweet this phone really is. Good luck and don't for get to wipe.
    this is going to be a very noob question, but what do you mean by "don't forget to wipe"? just resetting to factory settings? sorry for getting so basic, but am getting ready to take the plunge and root my GN and don't want to miss anything
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

When you install/flash a custom rom you always want to wipe your data and cache before flashing to make sure you get a clean install. If you don't wipe chances are you will have issues.

Trust us when we say that rooting is the thing to do. Once you do so you will understand. One thing I would recommend is to study up on all of the things you need to know. Every time a phone comes out it get a one click root method. Don't go that route. The reason why I say this is cause you need to know how to run commands in adb. It hard to lockup the phone( brick) so don't let rooting scare you. If the phone can turn on you can fix it. The greatest thing about rooting is that you will always find someone to help guide you out of messes. Rooting is the way to go. This is the first Android phone I now of that rooting totally solves battery issues. No need to get an extended battery any more is great.

I had previously rooted all my android devices and it took me almost 2 weeks to finally bite the bullet and root my Nexus. I don't regret it. I'm running a Kang CM9 rom so the usually tweaks are there (screen rotation on home screen, quick toggles in menu pull down, ect.). However, as many others have stated, the best reason to root for me so far has been battery life. Oh, and i can't complain about running 4.0.3 and the newly leaked LTE radio also. ;p