Rooted Noob - Questions about Nandroid v. TiBu

jk

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi - I rooted my phone last night and made a nandroid backup. However, I keep reading about backing up with Titanium Backup or MyBackUp Pro as well. If a nandroid makes a copy of everything, including data, why is there a need to also run a backup with TiBu or some other app?

Thanks.

sherri

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Nandroid backs up system and apps AS IS at this moment. If you update apps, or play games that update data (Angry Birds/any other game that keeps score or has levels....), Titanium backs up that data.

If you don't back up that data, score/level reverts to what it was at time of Nandroid.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Nandroid makes a complete backup of the entire phone (including ROM... this will restore your phone back to normal incase of emergency or when switching custom ROMs) the way it was when the backup was created.
Titanium backs up apps and app data which gives you control of each app as needed. Comes in handy for quickly setting your phone back up after flashing a ROM.

NateDizzy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I think a larger reason to use My Backup Pro or TiBu is to have the ability to restore all of your apps and settings after flashing a rom. A Nandroid is used if something goes wrong and you need to revert back to your old rom/setup. MBP and TiBu are used after a successfully flashing a new rom to help restore all your settings and such.

Nate

EDIT, Cyber beat me to it.

jk

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
OK cool - I understand that now. Next question is when doing my initial backup in TiBu, I go into settings and batch backup, but which option do I select - "backup all user apps" or "back up all user apps + system data"?

Thanks again and sorry for asking what are surely basic questions. Just wait 'til its time to flash a rom : )

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Use whatever options fit your needs... but yes, backup all user apps.. Do NOT backup/restore system data.

You can also go to the backup/restore tab... select an app... then backup or restore it if you don't want to do a batch operation. It gives you more control so you can just backup/restore your important apps and then go through each one deciding if you need just the app, app data, or both app & app data.

NOTE: .... MADE A MISTAKE... post edited.

Last edited:

jk

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Use whatever options fit your needs but yes... backup all user apps and system data. User apps is just your apps... system data is the apps data.

You can also go to the backup/restore tab... select an app... then backup or restore it if you don't want to do a batch operation. It gives you more control so you can just backup/restore your important apps and then go through each one deciding if you need just the app, app data, or both app & app data.

Just whatever you do... never backup or restore "system settings"... not to be confused with system data.

Perfect - thank you. I thought I recalled reading that I should not to back up system settings previously and had in fact confused that with system data.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
cyber i am a bit confused. so you're saying its ok to backup user apps & system data and then restore both after install a new ROM? i thought the same thing that system data shouldn't be restored after installing a new ROM.
I always used the "restore all apps with data" option after installing a new ROM. but that would explain why some of my settings here and there would not restore.

so if system settings are not to be restored, where do you back those up? i don't see an option in TiBu to backup system "settings"....

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
oh crap:-[ you're right. I've been using Mybackup Pro for a while now and confused myself... sorry about that. Yes in TiBu... don't backup system data or restore it. In MBP... its called system settings.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
oh crap:-[ you're right. I've been using Mybackup Pro for a while now and confused myself... sorry about that. Yes in TiBu... don't backup system data or restore it. In MBP... its called system settings.

hahaha no problem! just making sure i wasn't doing something to make my life easier.

Montclair

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
When you flash a new custom rom does the phone need to be signed in to Google like when you first turn it on and when you unlock the bootloader?

NateDizzy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
When you flash a new custom rom does the phone need to be signed in to Google like when you first turn it on and when you unlock the bootloader?

Yes, when you flash the new rom you will need to setup and sign back into google like your first time powering on the phone, at that point use MBP or TiBu to restore everything else. (apps, settings, etc.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463