[ROM][AOSP][4.0.3] Codename Android 1.5.5 [Full Open Source]

Josh515

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
re: [ROM][AOSP][4.0.3] Codename Android 1.1.1 [Full Open Source]

In comparison to stock, how much smoother/faster is this ROM? Just so I have an idea. (I'll be losing my ROM virginity very soon!)

BringMeBack9801

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

In comparison to stock, how much smoother/faster is this ROM? Just so I have an idea. (I'll be losing my ROM virginity very soon!)
From what I've seen so far, everything seems to be a lot more peppy and fluid. The best improvements I've noticed over stock have been in the web browser (incredible difference in scrolling & pinch to zoom) and with auto rotation, which is now almost instant instead of delayed by 2-3 seconds.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Might be trying this soon. I'm on Axi0m now and getting ready to give AOKP a try since I have heard good this about that one.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Anyone that is running this ROM with JD's or Franco's kernel instead of what the ROM installed, why did you change to the kernel your using? Did you run the ROM for a few hours and then say, "This is OK, but I'm pretty sure xyz's kernel will run way faster on it?" After switching, did it run way faster?

chevyguy8893

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

I just installed this ROM a few hours ago, gotta say it is very smooth. I really like all the options for mods without needing to flash separate mods. I changed the kernel over to JDkernel Nightlies based off of the reviews and the updater that comes with it (even though it isn't working right now). I would say it is just as good, if not better than the AXI0M ROM. I will have to see how it is for the long run with battery life with the same settings and usage.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

I rarely change kernels unless I'm running into bad battery life or if the ROM's running slow or lagging. You have to remember kernels and even ROM will not run the same for every device. You can flash different kernels and see whats best for you but other best might not be your best... just something to think about.

Reactions: greydarrah

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

@greydarrah... glad your liking it man! Made me forget all about axi0m as well :)

To you and everyone asking about kernels.. I've been using JDKernel 1.4 since last night and really like it. It handles 3d games (wind up knight, lol) better than the included kernel and is overall smoother. I suggest flashing it, also when flashed use SetCPU to change the governor to Interactive.. just my suggestion, there are other options but I find Interactive gives you the most response without much sacrifice in battery life.

Some other things I like to do to "pick up the pace" after a fresh flash: In settings>developer options, its good to check Force GPU rendering, then I like to change both Window animation scale and Transition animation scale from their default 1x to .5x.. makes everything seem much zippier :)

I really enjoyed franco's nightly #10 kernel too and his #11 is supposed to be great. To me, and you probably if your an average user, I don't think you'd be disappointed with either his or JD's. Imosey's always seemed to give just a slight hint of lag, and actually stutters a lot on 3d games (the kernel included in Codename Android is based off Imosey's, that's why I mention, saw the same issue with it).

Neutrino

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't use MyVerizon or the NFL app but I noticed a few people were wanting those apps working before flashing this ROM.

Here is a mod that gets MyVerizon and NFL working with this ROM: [MOD] [LTE] [UPDATE 1/6/12] Install Working MyVerizon App to <some> Custom ROMs +Allows NFL Mobile From Market to Connect! - RootzWiki

I've tried this Mod with thus ROM and it doesn't appear to work. Still won't connect to My Verizon.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

My Verizon has been working for me with this ROM. I didn't flash any mods.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Actually I just flashed franco's new nightly #12 and dayyyammm I can feel the difference... I'll be sticking with this kernel for a good while. He also fixed the problem with his kernel updater app.. If you're not sure what that is I think its worth the $1 and change in the market for it.. Lets you download his nightlies quicker, but importantly lets you easily enable the hotplug settings under any governor. For those unfamiliar, this basically turns off 1 core of the CPU when the screen is off to really save on battery life. Its entirely stable, no worries. You can enable it all on your own but it involves editing some code in init.d and somewhere else using root explorer, but the app does it all for you.

Highly recommend this kernel :)

TMFGO45

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
My only question with all of this is why do you also have to download the gapps file and flash it? Why don't they work without it?

Edit: Also, I want to be sure I have this right. I should only backup apps with there data using titanium backup? Not apps + system data?

Why is system data a negative? Cause some kind of clash after flashing roms?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Josh515

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

I have the ROM and Gapps downloaded, md5 matches up, and the backups are made! I'm already for when I come home tomorrow night so I can flash my first ROM! :D

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Actually I just flashed franco's new nightly #12 and dayyyammm I can feel the difference... I'll be sticking with this kernel for a good while. He also fixed the problem with his kernel updater app.. If you're not sure what that is I think its worth the $1 and change in the market for it.. Lets you download his nightlies quicker, but importantly lets you easily enable the hotplug settings under any governor. For those unfamiliar, this basically turns off 1 core of the CPU when the screen is off to really save on battery life. Its entirely stable, no worries. You can enable it all on your own but it involves editing some code in init.d and somewhere else using root explorer, but the app does it all for you.

Highly recommend this kernel :)

OK, I'm going to try his 12. 2 questions:

1. Do I just download this and flash the file (as downloaded) like I would any mod (only clearing cache and dalvik)?

2. Do you know where I can get the file?

Thanks much.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

My only question with all of this is why do you also have to download the gapps file and flash it? Why don't they work without it?

Google's policy is that they don't want people to include their GAPPs prebaked into ROMs.. but they're ok with letting people flash it separately. Some ROM devs don't care and will bake them in, lol, but most actually give you the gapps file separate to flash right after the ROM.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Is there an app similar to Rom Manager that deals with kernels? Kernel Manager perhaps? Ha

(someone check my edit in my last post please)

Lol not really.. franco has an app in the market that you can use to download his nightlies.. I personally don't like ROM Manager and recommend people to not use it, but if it makes things easier for you then go ahead.

To answer your other question: System data is a NO NO when moving to a different ROM, because in a nutshell, your moving to a different system, lol. Old data in a new system can cause problems. Then later when you have an issue, you could potentially wind up sending a developer sifting through millions of lines of code looking for a bug that doesn't exist if you hadn't brought old data into a new flash :)

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Is there an app similar to Rom Manager that deals with kernels? Kernel Manager perhaps? Ha

(someone check my edit in my last post please)

Actually there is... lol.. and you guessed it.. Kernel Manager in the market.... Its really not needed though.

Reactions: 2defmouze

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800