What causes "back button disabled" in recovery mode?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes when I'm in recovery doing a backup or going through the 3 or 4 steps of flashing something, I hit my power button to execute and instead of going to whatever the next screen should be, I get an image of andy with his stomach open and some sort of geometric matrix spinning inside his belly. Hitting the power button again get me back to the screen I came from. Hitting the power button another time gets me back to the andy image. I did notice that when I go back to whatever menu screen I was on, at the bottom, it says "back menu button disabled." After clicking volume buttons and the power button in no discernible order, it becomes enabled and every thing goes back to normal. What am I doing to put it in this state and is there a "normal" way to get it out of this state?

dzyuba

May 23, 2011
Visit site
It happens to me as well when using CWM Recovery. The first time this happened I went to Advanced and chose Reboot Recovery.

I think what causes this is the extremely sensitive volume keys when using recovery. If you press the up or down key multiple times too quickly you will get that message. I just do the same thing to reenable it.

Reactions: greydarrah

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Same problem. Since the volume rocker skips i find myself hitting up and down up and down and then I get that message. Then need to pull the battery and boot back into recovery. Not sure why it does this. Might want to try the touch recovery since it won't skip and that could be the problem.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: greydarrah

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Same problem. Since the volume rocker skips i find myself hitting up and down up and down and then I get that message. Then need to pull the battery and boot back into recovery. Not sure why it does this. Might want to try the touch recovery since it won't skip and that could be the problem.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk

push the volume up button til it cycles twice to the top.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
This why I love the new CWM touch recovery thats floating around. The text is bigger for the Hi-res nexus screen and you use the virtual keys to navigate around. It even has gestures and haptic feedback.

Reactions: dzyuba

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Hmm mine seemed to do it while hitting the center of the volume key and I've gotten it to recycle but hitting both at the same time. Don't know if theirs any validity to that it could be that I just did the trick mentioned unintentionally all i know is that can be a pain at times

BringMeBack9801

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
When this happens and it boots into the Android with the spinning matrix, is it safe to pull the battery and return to recovery or does this have any impact on damaging the ROM? This happened to me earlier this evening and just to be sure I wiped and reflashed.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
When this happens and it boots into the Android with the spinning matrix, is it safe to pull the battery and return to recovery or does this have any impact on damaging the ROM? This happened to me earlier this evening and just to be sure I wiped and reflashed.

As stated above just hit the up or down key a bunch of times so it cycles around and it will fix the disabled issue. If you pull during a rom install yes it would mess thinks up. If your just in recovery and get locked up then its OK.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc