Official Clockworkmod Recovery touch based

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I just installed the official cwm recovery by Koush and it is rad.
I know there is a recovery http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14263-recoverytouch-based-clockworkmod-recovery/by unstableapps at rootz and that is excellent but dare I say this one might be better. There are no softkeys or swipe type scrolling here...just touch the menu item, it highlights and takes you there immediately. No volume or power button presses.

I have flashed a softkey mod and did a nandroid both manually and with Rom manager and all is well.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgQ5qaCjR-8&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

Download : http://download.clockworkmod.com/test/touch-tuna.img

Connect your phone to your comp via usb cable.
Install by moving the touch-tuna.img file into your android-sdk/platform-tools folder (you do have that right?)
When in that folder, hold your shift key and right click and "open command window here"
Then in that window

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery touch-tuna.img

All done.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Word. throw this on there tonite i guess. already got the unstable apps touch recovery which is pretty good as is.

thanks for the link

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Unstable is way better then the touch recovery in cwr.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Extremely nice job on this recovery update. I liked the swipe features of the other touch recovery but with this new one I can touch the options to select. It makes flashing very fast. I'm also liking the larger font and space in the layout.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm still kind of keen on the unstableapps version. I like having to push an enter key to confirm a selection. This looks like it could lead to selecting something you didn't mean to.

Reactions: zero neck

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
After using this for a few hours, there is really no reason to move to this version. Unstabeapps version functions just as good as this one and vice versa.
jpricesd above has a point with the enter key, but that is only when selecting a menu item. You can still select the go back choice. When actually flashing an item, you still are taken to the multiple "no" screen.

Choices are good though right?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: zero neck

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I love the swiping actions on Unstable's version as well. Unless there is something wrong with it, I see no reason to switch. Unless some new features show up on the other ;)

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Lol, I have yet to switch to either one of touch based recoveries.
I guess I'm in the minority on that from all the above posts :p

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I love the swiping actions on Unstable's version as well. Unless there is something wrong with it, I see no reason to switch. Unless some new features show up on the other ;)

There is still swyping action here...mostly for long menus which take up more than the whole screen. But yeah you're right there is no reason to switch. Its super easy to switch between either version though.

Lol, I have yet to switch to either one of touch based recoveries.
I guess I'm in the minority on that from all the above posts :p

Oh you gotta try either unstableapps one or this one. Once you go to either one, its like night and day. That twitchy volume scrolling is gone. Font is bigger and way easier to read. Its like sliced bread lol. No downsides at all.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I like unstables but I'd prefer to have only one app for the job. While I was curious about touch recovery in general, I would have stuck it out with regular recovery if not for the scrolling bugs.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I had an email alert for the Unstableapps recovery thread over at rootz saying that a guy had a problem flashing a rom with this (Koush's) recovery.
So, I downloaded a rom and tried to flash and indeed it would not flash, said status 5 and installation aborted.
I did an md5 check on the file and it was ok.
So, there is a problem with this first release.
As I said in the op, I did flash a mod and did a nandroid and was fine. But apparently flashing a full rom has issues. You would figure Koush would get it right and test before release. So HOLD OFF on this for now.

Good thing it is very easy to revert back to unstableapps version.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I had an email alert for the Unstableapps recovery thread over at rootz saying that a guy had a problem flashing a rom with this (Koush's) recovery.
So, I downloaded a rom and tried to flash and indeed it would not flash, said status 5 and installation aborted.
I did an md5 check on the file and it was ok.
So, there is a problem with this first release.
As I said in the op, I did flash a mod and did a nandroid and was fine. But apparently flashing a full rom has issues. You would figure Koush would get it right and test before release. So HOLD OFF on this for now.

Good thing it is very easy to revert back to unstableapps version.

Yeah this version doesn't work on LTE variant. Guess it breaks assets which means no ROM flashes. I'm sure it will be fixed at some point

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to flash this recovery directly from the phone? I know ROM Manager let's you flash recoveries, but it's asking me to pay/donate to flash this touch version, and I refuse to pay to beta test.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to flash this recovery directly from the phone? I know ROM Manager let's you flash recoveries, but it's asking me to pay/donate to flash this touch version, and I refuse to pay to beta test.

You can flash recovery directly from Fastboot. Just start the phone in bootloader mode and

fastboot flash recovery <name of recovery here>

BringMeBack9801

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If I wanted to switch from Unstable's recovery to the official CWM touch version, would it be as simple as just deleting the image in Unstable's app?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I used the Unstable's touch version(last night) having read there was a issue with Koush's.
The Unstable's version worked perfect

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
A lot of great points in this thread. I have used and really like both, but I decided to use the official one from Koush. I actually downloaded the updated version directly from the Clockworkmod App. I haven't had a single issue flashing roms.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1