Can't Get Phone to Charge or Connect to adb after Flashing Kernel

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't Get Phone to Charge or Connect to adb after Flashing Ke

Thanks, I'll try your factory revert method and get back to you. As for Odin, I am familiar with it as I used it with my old Droid Charge as well, but I thought you had to actually have a working PC connection for that. My computer refuses to acknowledge the phone unless it's in bootloader/fastboot. I'll try it anyway, I haven't had to use it since I got the gnex.

Okay, that makes more sense. So as long as you're in the bootloader menu, you're able to initiate adb commands.

With that said, you'll have to be in the bootloader menu before you start typing commands. In my factory reset steps above in Step 4: the first thing you do is type "adb reboot boatloader"

This is not going to work for you seeing as your phone/computer only communicate when your phone is in the bootloader menu. So you'll just have to manually get your phone into the bootloader and then proceed with the command directly after that one "fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primekk15.img" And then continue from there.

CXSol91

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

Well I manually button forced it into boot loader and flashed everything. I am back on a factory fresh image, but still no charging and no adb... very odd, this couldn't coincidentally be a hardware problem after all could it? My USB cable had no problem sending all those fastboot commands and files, but soon as the OS boots up the phone acts like it doesn't even have a USB port! I can't think of anything else to reset!

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Are you still rooted? Maybe wipe battery stats. This is an odd conundrum

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Are you still rooted? Maybe wipe battery stats. This is an odd conundrum

If he followed the steps I listed, he should be back to brand new, bone stock. Unrooted and locked bootloader. If it's still not charging, it leads me to believe there is a hardware failure of some type. Time to return it for a new one.

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Can you get to the sdcard to put files? If your able to root again the I would try flashing another kernel. That's just me. I quickly breezed through the comments so you may have tried already.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Can you get to the sdcard to put files? If your able to root again the I would try flashing another kernel. That's just me. I quickly breezed through the comments so you may have tried already.

Good point. That would be a quick and simple fix.

CXSol91

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

Well, I can't actually get to the sdcard, I'd need adb working to do that (and of course the gnex doesn't have a physical microSD slot), but I am able to flash kernels directly via fastboot. I've already tried other kernels though, no luck.

CXSol91

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

Well, if I can't get this thing working by the end of the day, I'm giving up and just getting a new one tomorrow. Interesting note: it does still charge via my car charger.. not sure why it doesn't like AC then.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Well, if I can't get this thing working by the end of the day, I'm giving up and just getting a new one tomorrow. Interesting note: it does still charge via my car charger.. not sure why it doesn't like AC then.

That's a little odd. Are you using a backup device or just car charging to get you through?

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I am now fully convinced your Nexus is a Decepticon and is purposely being a pain in the butt to us humans trying to help you as well as yourself.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

If you're able to charge via a car charger, then something is going on that you're not understanding. I don't think anything is wrong with your Nexus. Maybe your home charger is broken. Does your phone boot up and run? Can you get into recovery and do a factory reset? What if you wiggle the plug where it connects to the Nexus (maybe your GN usb jack is loose).

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
If you're able to charge via a car charger, then something is going on that you're not understanding. I don't think anything is wrong with your Nexus. Maybe your home charger is broken. Does your phone boot up and run? Can you get into recovery and do a factory reset? What if you wiggle the plug where it connects to the Nexus (maybe your GN usb jack is loose).

I was thinking around the same lines. Since access to adb is there.

CXSol91

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

I completely agree. Part of me refuses to conclude that it's a hardware problem because of the following:

-It's not the cable/phone/port because My computer still recognizes it while it's in bootloader/fastboot mode, and can execute commands just fine
-It's not the phone/socket because the car charger works fine, and the computer recognizes it in fastboot
-It was working fine until I started flashing kernels and roms, which are all software changes, then it abruptly stopped working.
-I have used two different wires, two different AC adapters, and multiple USB ports across multiple computers
-The drivers are installed on my PC, I can get ADB working fine on my friend's Galaxy Nexus, but not mine
-Yes, USB Debugging is turned on.

Still, I have un-rooted and re-rooted it a few times, factory reset it multiple times, flashed countless roms and kernels back and forth trying to get a restore that works, wiped the cache, formatted just about everything in there, updated, downgraded, flashed a clean factory image, etc.. I can think of nothing else in my power that I can do to this phone, software-wise...

CXSol91

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

I was thinking around the same lines. Since access to adb is there.

Access to adb is not there. Access to fastboot/bootloader commands is there. For example if I type "adb devices", nothing is listed, but I can still do things like "fastboot reboot-bootloader", and it works just fine. So far I've been using fastboot to flash clockworkmod recovery into the bootloader, and doing restores and wipes from there. It's really a pain though because without adb, I cannot transfer files to the /sdcard partition of my phone, and since there is no physical microSD card, the only way I have of getting .zip files or kernel .img files onto it is to boot up the phone and download them manually via browser app.

ShexNivis

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

Access to adb is not there. Access to fastboot/bootloader commands is there. For example if I type "adb devices", nothing is listed, but I can still do things like "fastboot reboot-bootloader", and it works just fine. So far I've been using fastboot to flash clockworkmod recovery into the bootloader, and doing restores and wipes from there. It's really a pain though because without adb, I cannot transfer files to the /sdcard partition of my phone, and since there is no physical microSD card, the only way I have of getting .zip files or kernel .img files onto it is to boot up the phone and download them manually via browser app.

I'm having the exactly same problem with my galaxy nexus.
please look at my reply to you at: Can't Get Phone to Charge or Connect to adb after Flashing New Kernel, Tried Everything!!! - Android Forums
so that I don't need to repeat what I wrote there.
It's a big problem for me ; (
also if anyone knows about usb more than I do here is the kernel.log of my computer when I plug the nexus.
Paste #550588 | LodgeIt!
Hope someone can help us out with it since I can't use the warrant.
Is your car charger produced by Samsung?
I have plugged in every micro-usb that you can imagine.
don't own a car charger though, will try to get one

edit: and by the way you can use https://market.android.com/details?...251bGwsMSwxLDEsInNpaXIuZXMuYWRiV2lyZWxlc3MiXQ for adb without the usb

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma