Can't Get Phone to Charge or Connect to adb after Flashing Kernel

CXSol91

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, long time reader, first time posting on these forums! Well today it seems I've backed myself into a problem that I have not been able to solve by just reading around..!

So I made my first attempt at flashing a kernel to my Galaxy Nexus today, the latest release of franco kernel. I did not even permanently flash the kernel, I just ran "fastboot boot boot.img" to test it first. Well the OS booted up fine, but only later did I notice that my phone was not charging. I rebooted the phone, reverting to the stock kernel, cleared the caches, etc, but the charging problem persisted. I restored back to my latest nanrdoid, no luck. I even tried a full factory wipe and still no charging.

While the phone will connect to my PC for fastboot, it is NOT recognized in adb anymore. No it is not the PC drivers. It worked this morning, and just in case, I have uninstalled/reinstalled and mix/matched all the Samsung/Google drivers from the manufacturers website, from KIES, and from PDANet. The phone shows up in device manager while in fastboot, but as soon as I boot into clockworkmod recovery or boot the OS from there, Windows makes the disconnect noise, and acts like nothing else ever reconnects, driver or not. No it does not tell me there's an unidentified device or anything. It's just like it's simply not there.

I'm also certain that it's not the charger or USB cable, since it does connect to fastboot, and I've tried different cables/chargers/batteries anyway.
To make things simple, I'll just list the things I've already tried:

-Reinstall Drivers/Rebooting with/without phone plugged in, etc etc,
-Restore to previous nandroid backups
-Factory Wipe
-Clearing both caches, format /system and /boot and restore
-Update from .zip to recently leaked ICS 4.0.4
-Fully flashing another kernel (franco kernel, and leankernel, neither fixed the issue)
-Flashing custom roms, including Cyanogenmod and a few others listed in the clockworkmod website.

I've tried just about everything I can think of.. I am rooted and my bootloader is unlocked obviously. Any suggestions? Should I be counting out dollars for a new phone, or am I being stupid and doing everything completely wrong? Please tell me I am! :D

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't Get Phone to Charge or Connect to adb after Flashing Ke

So you say it connects while in fastboot... are you saying if you're using adb and the phone is in fastboot, plugged into the computer, you can type "adb devices" and it shows up?

CXSol91

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

Correct. I can still use fastboot commands, but the device does not show up for the "adb devices" command. It also does not make any connection sound, or show up in device manager as anything at all once the OS is booted.

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Correct. I can still use fastboot commands, but the device does not show up for the "adb devices" command. It also does not make any connection sound, or show up in device manager as anything at all once the OS is booted.

Okay, try this real quick. With the phone plugged into your computer, in the bootloader (fastboot mode or whichever term you prefer to use) type "fastboot reboot-bootloader"

The phone should do a real quick reboot right back into the bootloader.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Or...try connecting to a different USB port on your computer. I've ran into this problem before too

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

CXSol91

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

Alright, I've got the phone back into the bootloader where I started. What else should I do from here?

(And yes, USB Debugging is enabled, though it wouldn't affect the charging either way)

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Alright, I've got the phone back into the bootloader where I started. What else should I do from here?

(And yes, USB Debugging is enabled, though it wouldn't affect the charging either way)

Did you try a different port?

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Okay, since you said you've tried everything you can think of and nothing worked, we can take this thing back to absolute bone stock. Just as it was when you took it out of it's pretty, white box. It will to a complete wipe of the system, so you'll want to transfer all your important data (photos, videos, music, etc..) to your computer. Is that something you're okay with doing?

CXSol91

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

Did you try a different port?

Yes, tried every port on my machine by now. Powered, non-powered, 2.0, 3.0, hubs, straight from motherboard, and someone else's laptop. Besides, it can't be the port since it's also not charging from the wall, and the bootloader interface is recognized by the PC. No it's not the cable either. It's got to be a software problem, whatever enables the phone to receive data/power via usb is not working as it should. It started happening right after I flashed that kernel.

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I used this method today to bring a phone back to stock. I had to send it in for an insurance replacement. It worked flawlessly.

*Taken from DroidLife*

1. Download the Android 4.0.2 factory images to your PC. Click here if you don't have them --> [https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mysid-icl53f-factory-65895fa8.tgz]

2. Unzip the file and its contents into your SDK/Tools folder (wherever your adb.exe and fastboot.exe files are).

*Make sure they are not in their own folder, but have all been extracted.

3. From within your Tools folder, open a command prompt (SHIFT + right click – “open command prompt here”):
4. Type the following commands, allowing each to finish before moving onto the next:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primekk15.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-toro-i515.ek02.img
fastboot flash radio-cdma radio-cdma-toro-i515.ek05.img
fastboot -w update image-mysid-icl53f.zip
fastboot oem lock

5. Reboot your phone by highlighting “Start” and pressing the lock switch.
6. It really is as simple as that. Your phone is now back to a 100% stock, unrooted and locked state.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Yes, tried every port on my machine by now. Powered, non-powered, 2.0, 3.0, hubs, straight from motherboard, and someone else's laptop. Besides, it can't be the port since it's also not charging from the wall, and the bootloader interface is recognized by the PC. No it's not the cable either. It's got to be a software problem, whatever enables the phone to receive data/power via usb is not working as it should. It started happening right after I flashed that kernel.

Hmmm. When connected to the comp. While in the command prompt. What do you get when type "adb devices"?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Along with Halo's suggestion. You can also try using Odin. I did that once and it worked well. Plus there's no adb command script. It all depends what you prefer.

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Along with Halo's suggestion. You can also try using Odin. I did that once and it worked well. Plus there's no adb command script. It all depends what you prefer.

I completely forgot about ODIN. That program was a life saver when I had my Droid Charge (which I actually still have as my backup)

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I'm still bit confused here now that I'm thinking about it more. You said it would not respond to adb commands, however, when you were in the bootloader menu and you typed "adb reboot-bootloader" and the phone quickly rebooted back into the bootloader, that would mean that it responds to adb commmands.

CXSol91

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, I'll try your factory revert method and get back to you. As for Odin, I am familiar with it as I used it with my old Droid Charge as well, but I thought you had to actually have a working PC connection for that. My computer refuses to acknowledge the phone unless it's in bootloader/fastboot. I'll try it anyway, I haven't had to use it since I got the gnex.