[ROM][6/26/12] CyanogenMod 9 - Official Nightly & RC Builds!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
[NOTE]Please note, I am not officially affiliated with CyanogenMod or any developer related to CyanogenMod. I merely act as evangelist, spreading their awesomeness throughout the Galaxy Nexus forum. If you use and appreciate their work, I suggest going to CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Gingerbread and donating to the hardworking developers behind these roms.[/NOTE]
[WARN]Remember, flashing is serious business. Don't mess around and be careful. If you take precautions, you will be rewarded with such sorcery as power widgets, infinite home screens, and smooth buttery speed.[/WARN]

Latest Release Candidates:
Verizon/Toro Latest RC - 6/26/12 - http://get.cm/get/jenkins/3516/cm-9.0.0-RC1-toro.zip
GSM/Maguro Latest RC - 6/26/12 - http://get.cm/get/jenkins/3502/cm-9.0.0-RC1-maguro.zip
Spring/Toroplus Latest RC - 6/26/12 - http://get.cm/get/jenkins/3517/cm-9.0.0-RC1-toroplus.zip

Latest Nightlies:
Verizon/Toro Latest Nightly Release - 6/25/12 - http://get.cm/get/jenkins/3379/cm-9-20120625-NIGHTLY-toro.zip
GSM/Maguro Latest Nightly Release - 6/25/12 - http://get.cm/get/jenkins/3378/cm-9-20120625-NIGHTLY-maguro.zip
Sprint/Toroplus Latest Nightly Release - 6/25/12 - http://get.cm/get/jenkins/3384/cm-9-20120625-NIGHTLY-toroplus.zip

Latest GAPPS:
Latest GAPPS Release - 4/29/12 - Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

Where you can find the Nightlies/GAPPS generally:
Nightlies (Toro) - CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution
Nightlies (Maguro) - CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution
GAPPS (both) - Goo-inside.me Downloads - Browsing latest

Changelogs:
General - BBQLog - CyanogenMod Changelog

Some edits/clarifications:

• Toro = Verizon/CDMA/LTE GNex.
  • Maguro = GSM/everyone else.
  • The latest Toro release is 2/25, yet it was posted on 2/24 my time. There's also another nightly prior to the one I flashed--or perhaps I missed one while at work, who knows. Regardless, the latest is the greatest ;).
  • A somewhat confusing changelog for the Toro nightlies can be found here: CyanogenMod nightlies changelog or here Gerrit Code Review
  • If you use a custom kernel, then the Gamma Tuning option under Galaxy Nexus Settings/Advanced is greyed out.

What is a nightly? A nightly is essentially an experimental build that gets updated frequently--usually at night--hence the name. You should expect bugs, but FWIW, this current set of nightlies have been some of the stablest I've ever seen (CM6 and CM7 included).

Here's how to flash nightlies. This is based upon my practices. You may deviate and do whatever you please; that's entirely within your rights :).

1. Download both the latest nightly and, if there's a GAPPS change, the GAPPS file. Check the md5/hash if you wish (always good practice IMO). (FYI - I have a Nightlies folder on my SD card; it's a good idea to separate these from your normal ROMs b/c, well, orderliness is Godliness!)
  2. If you don't have a recent backup or if you want a backup, make a nandroid or use whatever app you ordinarily use for backups. (Take caution with restoring apps though; data in the apps prior to restoration/the new build may cause unwanted conflicts.)
  3. If, based upon the changelog, discussion, or talk of the latest nightly it appears that framework or massive changes have taken place from one build to another, I wipe data/factory reset. A massive change includes a new GAPPS as well (at least for me). So if there's a new GAPPS, do a factory reset!
  4. If none of the above has occurred--or if you did the above, then wipe cache and dalvik cache (the latter of which is under "Advanced" in CWM).
  5. Install/flash the nightly .zip.
  6. If you did a factory reset, then you must flash the GAPPS file as well. (See step #3).
  7. Some people do another cache/dalvik wipe after; I don't necessarily know why, but hey, if you want to then go right ahead.
  8. Reboot for profit.

Remember folks; the keys to a good flashing experience are always the same--keep your backups handy, keep your nightlies/GAPPS sorted, and always wipe. When in doubt wipe. Take your time, be patient, etc.

Disclaimer - I have no affiliation with CyanogenMod, Cyanogen, or anyone on the dev team. I am simply a big fan of their work dating back to my DINC days. They made me discover the love of flashing and, at its core, Android. Thus, I have posted this for two reasons: (1) so GN owners can have a resource for their nightly fix; and (2) so people were aware of CM (official) for the GN. I am not responsible for their builds, for your flashing practices, or general conduct outside of my own. So please, be careful, use diligence, and happy flashing!

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Cyanogen Mod Nightly - OFFICIAL!

Nice. I'll have to give that a test drive one of these days.

Haven't ran with nightly cm builds since my droid inc days.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Nice. I'll have to give that a test drive one of these days.

Haven't ran with nightly cm builds since my droid inc days.

Me neither. Of course, until now. I'll report back when I start playing with it.

Edit :) --

1213e.png

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Still running CM7 on my incredible .

I will have to check this one out for the GN one day soon as well.
Seems like I am always flashing stuff all the time on the GN :p ,new stuff is constantly showing up ha

Me neither. Of course, until now. I'll report back when I start playing with it.

Edit :) --

Click to view quoted image

Yup keep us posted

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Still running CM7 on my incredible .

I will have to check this one out for the GN one day soon as well.
Seems like I am always flashing stuff all the time on the GN :p ,new stuff is constantly showing up ha

Yup keep us posted

So I found the 4G toggle switch, so that's good.

But, it's sparse. It's missing some things, particularly if you look in "Galaxy Nexus Settings." Which is sorta to be expected, ya know?

That being said--it's lightning fast with franco.Kernel and so far, no bugs. Alarm went off as usual, and what's awesome is that it was the same exact one as my Incredible (on CM 7.1) so it was like a choir of CM devices.

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

But, it's sparse. It's missing some things, particularly if you look in "Galaxy Nexus Settings." Which is sorta to be expected, ya know?

Any way to expand on what you feel is missing? Anyone else noticing things that this is missing vs what you would find on Codename or Kang?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Any way to expand on what you feel is missing? Anyone else noticing things that this is missing vs what you would find on Codename or Kang?

Absolutely!

First, screenshots! (hopefully these work, I presume tapatalk plays nicely across borders):

a6f823ec-a9aa-a0b4.jpg

a6f823ec-a9b9-bb9c.jpg

a6f823ec-a9cf-1e2d.jpg

a6f823ec-a9e0-cfcc.jpg

If those don't work, let me know ASAP and I will save/upload to imageshack.

Here's what is missing:

Softkey modification--colors, search, whatever. I can't find it.

Themes - currently nothing there.

System settings (CM specific) - not many options really; stub/holder for lockscreen, sparse status bar updates. Notification stuff is pretty nice though, I'm glad I found that 4G toggle (under widget buttons) before I went to sleep last night).

Launcher menu - two options simply have nothing/don't work: icons and dock. Under "General," all that is there is auto-rotate.

In the Advanced/"Galaxy Nexus Settings" menu (called the same thing; Advanced in main settings menu, but GNS w/ an icon in your apps) - nothing in there. Placeholder for Color Gamma Tuning, nothing in general.

I'll report back with more when I find it!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

No themes, dealbreaker. :-/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Yeah I was sad about that too. I'm more sad about no CM wallpapers or boot animation.

Obviously, those things are coming lol.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm a big fan of CM, but I don't see anything that AOKP does not already have. Only thing I was looking forward to were the themes. Without those I think I will be staying put for awhile and see where this goes.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm a big fan of CM, but I don't see anything that AOKP does not already have. Only thing I was looking forward to were the themes. Without those I think I will be staying put for awhile and see where this goes.

I hear ya. AOKP is a phenomenal ROM, and probably the only other ROM that I'd ever recommend to someone who wants to get a taste of roming.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

I have a feeling with the big headstart aokp and the other big name roms have, CM will take awhile to catch up.
And to exceed the mods/themes the others have will be iffy.
We shall see.

I just GOTTA have mods/themes. :p

IMO cyanogen has an aura of goodness, just because they been around a long while and have roms for a big bunch of phones. Roman is no slouch of a developer.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I have a feeling with the big headstart aokp and the other big name roms have, CM will take awhile to catch up.
And to exceed the mods/themes the others have will be iffy.
We shall see.

I just GOTTA have mods/themes. :p

IMO cyanogen has an aura of goodness, just because they been around a long while and have roms for a big bunch of phones. Roman is no slouch of a developer.

I think it'll take a bit, but the amount of awesome developers behind CM, starting from the top down, is just ridiculous. Once they start cookin', there's no way they cook without high octane fuel ;).

It will be interesting to see what themers do, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz