Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 66 of 66
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.1.1 build 3 (JRO03L)

    Quote Originally Posted by CallerHoller View Post
    So I spoke to soon about not having wifi issues. Although I also discovered it was my room mates CrApple router. I connected to a neighbors wifi and haven't had a hiccup since.


    So my new issue is that Clean broke my root. I ignored the denied errors from Superuser until I tried to enter recovery. I used root check and it said I didn't have root! I loaded that root toolbox and I couldn't get it to root. However it got me into "ODIN" mode and I was able to navigate to ROM manager recovery menu. I quickly flashed another ROM and I had root back.

    So I don't know why it crippled Superuser. I'm on JMO03O from Team Black Hat now. Which has wifi issues with CrApple too.
    Clean didn't cripple your root. That is how it is designed. Go to Settings > Clean extras if you would like to enable root at any time. You can also create a Settings shortcut for Clean extras on your home screen. This is how CM does it now too, I believe. The thought is that your device is more secure if it's not left on root all the time. Personally, I've only had to turn root back on once or twice. I like to leave it off. This way if somebody finds my phone or a rogue app tries to do something bad, they don't have the keys to the kingdom. In the case of physical theft, they'd first have to unlock my phone and re-enable root, etc.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.1.1 build 3 (JRO03L)

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    I presume by ODIN mode you mean Bootloader?

    Check my OTA thread in the general section--there are 2 SU packages that you should keep on your SDcard (use the latest--Superuser 3.1.3). If you ever lose root, simply boot into recovery and flash the SU zip.
    With Clean, ideally, you should never do that. I use a customized Superuser.apk and su to achieve the selective root feature. You'd probably be fine, but if you do that or use the Market version of Superuser (which shouldn't install), then the Selective Root setting in Clean extras will no longer do anything.
  3. #53  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,930 Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by javroch View Post
    Clean didn't cripple your root. That is how it is designed. Go to Settings > Clean extras if you would like to enable root at any time. You can also create a Settings shortcut for Clean extras on your home screen. This is how CM does it now too, I believe. The thought is that your device is more secure if it's not left on root all the time. Personally, I've only had to turn root back on once or twice. I like to leave it off. This way if somebody finds my phone or a rogue app tries to do something bad, they don't have the keys to the kingdom. In the case of physical theft, they'd first have to unlock my phone and re-enable root, etc.
    I believe cms default is root access for apps. At least it's been when I've flashed it recently.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #54  

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.1.1 build 3 (JRO03L)

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    I believe cms default is root access for apps. At least it's been when I've flashed it recently.
    I guess if it's Apps only by default, then at least that should cover the physical theft of your phone, so long as you keep your phone locked. To be honest, I think people should be leaving root access off entirely, until and unless they need it. I was even thinking of trying to make this setting password protected, so that you have to enter your password to change it. But, I haven't figured that out yet

    I may consider changing it to Apps only, if only to make it less confusing for first time users.
    Last edited by javroch; 09-07-2012 at 11:39 AM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.1.1 build 3 (JRO03L)

    build 4 should be ready in the next few days with at least reboot options and enhanced battery options with the ability to just have text now and no icon. reboot options will currently be "Reboot", "Safe mode", "Recovery", and probably "Bootloader". you'll still be able to do safe mode by simply long pressing shutdown. I left this because you might decide that you want to turn off the reboot option altogether.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.0.4 build 3

    I just posted build 4. It contains reboot options, including safe mode, and enhanced battery percentage options. enjoy!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.0.4 build 3

    just a quick update. updated my base from JRO03L to JRO03R. not sure what that gives though, other than bug fixes/stability.
  8. #58  

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.1.1 build 5 (JRO03R)

    Where did R come from, everyone is receiving O OTA?
    JkdJedi likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #59  

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.1.1 build 5 (JRO03R)

    Quote Originally Posted by CallerHoller View Post
    Where did R come from, everyone is receiving O OTA?
    R is the most recent code that Google pushed to AOSP a couple of days ago. ROMs that are built from source do not rely on leaked OTA's like the JRO03O OTA. Instead, ROMs built from source pull code directly from Google and build it from the ground up. Therefore, it doesn't matter what the current OTA is.
  10. #60  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.1.1 build 5 (JRO03R)

    Quote Originally Posted by javroch View Post
    just a quick update. updated my base from JRO03L to JRO03R. not sure what that gives though, other than bug fixes/stability.
    Quote Originally Posted by javroch View Post
    R is the most recent code that Google pushed to AOSP a couple of days ago. ROMs that are built from source do not rely on leaked OTA's like the JRO03O OTA. Instead, ROMs built from source pull code directly from Google and build it from the ground up. Therefore, it doesn't matter what the current OTA is.
    Is it typical for new revisions to show up in AOSP without Google updating the build list at source.android.com for a while? Just curious.. asking because I checked the site and it lists the most recent revision to AOSP as still JRO03L:

    If so would you happen to know where they have a more updated/current listing of the builds? I like to keep my resources up to date
    JkdJedi likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #61  

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.1.1 build 5 (JRO03R)

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Is it typical for new revisions to show up in AOSP without Google updating the build list at source.android.com for a while? Just curious.. asking because I checked the site and it lists the most recent revision to AOSP as still JRO03L:

    If so would you happen to know where they have a more updated/current listing of the builds? I like to keep my resources up to date
    I'd say that they probably haven't updated that page yet. I don't tend to look at that page very often, if at all, so I couldn't tell you when/how often they update. If I had to guess, I don't think they update the page until there is a branch/build that they actually push out to a device. Though, I think Sprint's Galaxy Nexus actually received a JRO03R build OTA. So, maybe not.

    The only way that I can think of to get a current listing of builds is to check out the code base from time to time and look at the tags like I do during my development. Or, at least check out one of the projects of the code base via git and look at the tags there. You can also just follow my thread as I tend to (try at least) and update fairly quickly.

    JRO03R is android_4.1.1_r6. They also pushed an android_4.1.1_r5 branch that I didn't even look at. That would probably land somewhere between L and R and might be the code for the JRO03O build.
    Thanked by:
  12. #62  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.1.1 build 5 (JRO03R)

    Quote Originally Posted by javroch View Post
    I'd say that they probably haven't updated that page yet. I don't tend to look at that page very often, if at all, so I couldn't tell you when/how often they update. If I had to guess, I don't think they update the page until there is a branch/build that they actually push out to a device. Though, I think Sprint's Galaxy Nexus actually received a JRO03R build OTA. So, maybe not.

    The only way that I can think of to get a current listing of builds is to check out the code base from time to time and look at the tags like I do during my development. Or, at least check out one of the projects of the code base via git and look at the tags there. You can also just follow my thread as I tend to (try at least) and update fairly quickly.

    JRO03R is android_4.1.1_r6. They also pushed an android_4.1.1_r5 branch that I didn't even look at. That would probably land somewhere between L and R and might be the code for the JRO03O build.
    Gotcha.. yeah git is still a language I struggle with sometimes, lol. Thanks for the tip!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #63  

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.1.1 build 5 (JRO03R)

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Gotcha.. yeah git is still a language I struggle with sometimes, lol. Thanks for the tip!
    If you have a linux box, you can save the following in a file called "branches.sh" in your home directory for example. Then "chmod a+x branches.sh" to make it executable. And, then you can run it whenever you like to get a list of current branches:

    Code:
    pushd ~ &> /dev/null;
    
    if [ ! -d manifest ];
     then git clone https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest.git;
    fi;
    
    pushd manifest &> /dev/null;
    git fetch;
    git branch -a;
    popd &> /dev/null;
    
    popd &> /dev/null;
    NOTE: It'll check out the small manifest.git repo into your home directory and you obviously need git installed. Also, to actually get the build ID would require a little more work. That just gives you branch names.
    Thanked by:
    2defmouze likes this.
  14. #64  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.1.1 build 5 (JRO03R)

    I see.. yeah I'm on by ubuntu system now so I should be able to handle that. Wish it was that easy to determine what changes go into the new builds, lol. Thanks again!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #65  

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.1.1 build 5 (JRO03R)

    Even better, this'll give you the BUILD_ID's too:

    Code:
    REPO=build
    
    if [ ! -d $REPO ];
     then git clone https://android.googlesource.com/platform/$REPO.git &> /dev/null;
    fi;
    
    pushd $REPO &> /dev/null;
    git fetch --all &> /dev/null;
    git fetch --tags &> /dev/null;
    
    echoBuildId() {
     local BRANCH=$1;
    
     git checkout $BRANCH &> /dev/null;
    
     local BUILD_ID=$(grep "BUILD_ID=" core/build_id.mk);
     BUILD_ID=${BUILD_ID:16:${#BUILD_ID}}
    
     echo $BUILD_ID;
    }
    
    for i in `git tag -l`;
    do
     echo -n "$i: ";
     echoBuildId $i;
    done;
    
    BRANCH=$(git describe --tags `git rev-list --tags --max-count=1`);
    echo;
    echo -n "Most recent branch: $BRANCH, Build ID: "
    echoBuildId $BRANCH;
    
    popd &> /dev/null;
    
    popd &> /dev/null;
    ---------- Post Merged at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:01 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    I see.. yeah I'm on by ubuntu system now so I should be able to handle that. Wish it was that easy to determine what changes go into the new builds, lol. Thanks again!
    You'd be surprised how fast you can whip up these scripts, once you learn a little bash.
    Last edited by javroch; 09-22-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #66  

    Default Re: [ROM] Clean AOSP 4.1.1 build 5 (JRO03R)

    Aside from the ones I should hopefully be adding in the next build, are there any new ones that you guys would like to see? No promises, I'm just curious. I've got some ideas,but I always like to hear yours. I will admit though, that I am trying to keep it fairly simple
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

B