Noobie root-rom question

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,
I am interested in trying to unlock the phone. I have watched vids on you tube and the unlockr (his seems to have an easy method), all say it will wipe the phone clean.
Does this also include all my contacts?
I dont care about the pictures, music, videos, etc I have them all backed up anyway.
If it does wipe the contacts is there a "back up program" to use? or is there a way to rpint out the list of contacts so I can reenter them.

I know is is a mute question but what Rom should I be using? I see AOSP, CM9, or it just a try and if I dont like it try another one.

I have been able to get the Nintendo Chips to work for my DSi's etc so its not that unfamiliar to putting programs on a card. seems to be basically the same thing.

Thanks,

Xanth

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes you will lose your contacts. Best way to back them up is through gmail or you can use verizons back up assist.

As for what rom to use its all about preference. you will have to try a few and find one you like

Reactions: zero neck

gmen78

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I was struggling to unlock/root mine until someone recommended the "wugs toolkit" on the xda forums. Easy as cake, just make sure its latest version and yes, if your contacts are synced through your Gmail, you should be fine and not lose info.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I got wugs, installed and it finds my phone, now just need unlock/root and than to figure out which ROM I want to use. so many choices. Also by reading I see that you need to install a separate radio file.

1 quick question, I see a nova launch program and it looks cool, will this work with any ROM I choose?

Thanks,

Xanth

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Nova will work on any ROM, yes. Instead, I would recommend Apex Launcher... very similar, but IMO its a bit faster, and it has more settings/options. Its available in the market.

For your contact question.. if you haven't already, then move all of your contacts to your primary gmail account, the account you will first sign into your android phone with. This way no matter what ROM you load, every time you wipe your phone, as soon as you sign into gmail, BAM you'll have all your contacts, lol. If you currently have them in VZW backup assistant... sign into myverizon on your computer, navigate your way to the online backup assistant spot. Select all your contacts, then Export as .CSV file. Then sign into your gmail account, and under google.com/contacts you have the option to import that .CSV file. After some setting up you will be good to go moving forward.

This is important as MOST custom ROMs remove VZW bloat... this way you will never be tied to VZW's crap again, you can trust in Google :)

Reactions: zero neck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL