Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Default Re: [GUIDE] Don't Panic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Nex

Quote Originally Posted by robertvito View Post
    I am new to the whole process and your guide made it easy and not nearly as scary as it seemed.

THANK YOU so Much.

As a side note I love your icons for your gmail , sms and such can you tell me how I can get that on mine.....sorry for the noob question.

Again thanks
    No problem, I appreciate it!

Those icons are called Metrostation. They were created by a cat named yankoa (or =yankoa, can't really tell lol). They can be found here ==> MetroStation by =yankoa on deviantART.

It's a big file, so you have to go through and pick and choose .
    Thanked by 2:

Cool Re: [GUIDE] Don't Panic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Nex

Awesome. Again. thank you. You weren't kidding it is a huge file. However in my normal impatience that I always seem to have I did a google search and they have the icon pack for free in google play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ostation&hl=en

I was so stoked.

Thanks again for all your help you have made my phone SOOO much more.

Great Job
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by robertvito View Post
    Awesome. Again. thank you. You weren't kidding it is a huge file. However in my normal impatience that I always seem to have I did a google search and they have the icon pack for free in google play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ostation&hl=en

I was so stoked.

Thanks again for all your help you have made my phone SOOO much more.

Great Job
    Heh no problem. Wasn't aware of the app, but oh well. I'm glad you enjoy your phone--it's the way God and Andy Rubin intended it .
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

deserves a bump

* INCREDIBLE * MECHA * TORO * GROUPER * GALAXY S3 *
    * [TORO RADIOS] * [NEXUS WALLS] * [GROUPER GUIDE] * [CHATTER] *
    Thanked by 2:
    2defmouze and ohiomoto like this.

and sticky...
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Bump for those seeking some advice for flashing, rooting, etc.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP b38

Great guide man! Deserves a bump

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    dmmarck likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by dkear View Post
    Great guide man! Deserves a bump

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thank you, I appreciate it .
    Thanked by 2:

Awesome help. Unlocked and rooted GNEX saturday. First time diving into this. So far any issue I had has been answered by the AC community. Big thanks to everyone. This is why I'll never go iPhone. I need ROM advice. I want a ROM and kernal to extend battery life. Nothing fancy yet as I am new to this. But I would like my battery to last more than 4 - 5 hours. Any help would be great. I had Liquidsmooth on for a little, but could log into My Verizon or NFL mobile cause I lost my Verizon ID or what ever it is.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by rebretz000 View Post
    Awesome help. Unlocked and rooted GNEX saturday. First time diving into this. So far any issue I had has been answered by the AC community. Big thanks to everyone. This is why I'll never go iPhone. I need ROM advice. I want a ROM and kernal to extend battery life. Nothing fancy yet as I am new to this. But I would like my battery to last more than 4 - 5 hours. Any help would be great. I had Liquidsmooth on for a little, but could log into My Verizon or NFL mobile cause I lost my Verizon ID or what ever it is.
    First, thank you--I appreciate it.

For your kernel, it depends on your usage. How do you use your phone? What's the average amount of time you go off charger?

For those two apps, I have no idea how to get them back. I've never used them, so hopefully someone sees this and can help with that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    First, thank you--I appreciate it.

For your kernel, it depends on your usage. How do you use your phone? What's the average amount of time you go off charger?

For those two apps, I have no idea how to get them back. I've never used them, so hopefully someone sees this and can help with that issue.
    I use my phone for twitter alot, average 50 emails a day. Web broswing alot. You tube. Netflix. Pandora. Slacker. plus my own music. Usually only off a charger for about 6 hours or so but most off the time I'm down to 70% after 2 hours even when not using my phone much. Usually when I leave the office I drop down to 3G to try and save battery.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

I use my phone for twitter alot, average 50 emails a day. Web broswing alot. You tube. Netflix. Pandora. Slacker. plus my own music. Usually only off a charger for about 6 hours or so but most off the time I'm down to 70% after 2 hours even when not using my phone much. Usually when I leave the office I drop down to 3G to try and save battery.
    Have you flashed a rom and kernel yet? If so, what?

Have you flashed a rom and kernel yet? If so, what?
    I had Redemption ROM and what ever kernel came with that and also Liquidsmooth and the kernel it came with. I really liked the look and feel of Liquidsmooth, but I reverted back to stock 4.0.4 from Liquid since I couldn't use NFL Mobile and left Redemption ROM cause I was having issues but that was probably my fault.

I'm just using stock VZ 4.0.4 today. I was waiting for the newer version of Redemption ROM that is in the works since it uses CDMA 4.0.4 instead of GSM.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

I had Redemption ROM and what ever kernel came with that and also Liquidsmooth and the kernel it came with. I really liked the look and feel of Liquidsmooth, but I reverted back to stock 4.0.4 from Liquid since I couldn't use NFL Mobile and left Redemption ROM cause I was having issues but that was probably my fault.

I'm just using stock VZ 4.0.4 today. I was waiting for the newer version of Redemption ROM that is in the works since it uses CDMA 4.0.4 instead of GSM.
    It doesn't hurt to keep trying different roms/kernels to find the combination that suits you. Kernels are like the brain of your device; they control the CPU, voltages, etc. I prefer a kernel called franco kernel, which is largely available via a paid app in the Play Store.

Each person's usage is different, so I recommend trying a few different things in order to find your sweet spot. Major kernels include franco, imoseyen's LeanKernel (also available the previously mentioned franco Updater app), Glados, faux kernel, and trinity.

It doesn't hurt to keep trying different roms/kernels to find the combination that suits you. Kernels are like the brain of your device; they control the CPU, voltages, etc. I prefer a kernel called franco kernel, which is largely available via a paid app in the Play Store.

Each person's usage is different, so I recommend trying a few different things in order to find your sweet spot. Major kernels include franco, imoseyen's LeanKernel (also available the previously mentioned franco Updater app), Glados, faux kernel, and trinity.
    Thank you again.

Global Posts
    676 Global Posts

I used a different toolkit than Wug's when I first rooted (from XDA) and that worked fine, so now that I have the OTA and need to root again, I figured I would use the same software. But when I went to run it and it asks for my current build, it doesn't have the new 4.0.4 build to choose from, so I figured I would just use Wug's this time since he updated faster! :0)

My question is this: do I need to download the drivers again or are the drivers I downloaded before still the right ones. If I download them again from Wug's will there be any conflicts or duplication?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    I used a different toolkit than Wug's when I first rooted (from XDA) and that worked fine, so now that I have the OTA and need to root again, I figured I would use the same software. But when I went to run it and it asks for my current build, it doesn't have the new 4.0.4 build to choose from, so I figured I would just use Wug's this time since he updated faster! :0)

My question is this: do I need to download the drivers again or are the drivers I downloaded before still the right ones. If I download them again from Wug's will there be any conflicts or duplication?
    I presume you'll be fine. When you start using Wug's you'll know pretty quickly b/c the device won't show up in either the ADB or fastboot checks.

Global Posts
    676 Global Posts

Thanks, but now another problem since Wug's won't download completely. I have tried the main and a mirror and it only downloads 6 mb, then acts like it is finished, but won't install.

The other toolkit has Verizon IMM30b and then has CDMA/LTE for Sprint at IMM76d, so I really can't use either, correct?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #69  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Thanks, but now another problem since Wug's won't download completely. I have tried the main and a mirror and it only downloads 6 mb, then acts like it is finished, but won't install.
    Nothing I can help you with I'm afraid . Try again later? Email Wugs?

Global Posts
    676 Global Posts

Yes, I think I will just try again after lunch.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Unless I'm misreading the problem.. he just wants to root 4.0.4, is already unlocked, right? Why not just flash the 4.0.4 updated su.zip? https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/su404.zip

Boot into bootloader, boot CWR, flash the zip, reboot. You'll be rooted, can get rid of or rename the /system/recovery-from-boot.p file, then permanently flash recovery.

I miss something? lol
    dmmarck likes this.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #72  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Unless I'm misreading the problem.. he just wants to root 4.0.4, is already unlocked, right? Why not just flash the 4.0.4 updated su.zip? https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/su404.zip

Boot into bootloader, boot CWR, flash the zip, reboot. You'll be rooted, can get rid of or rename the /system/recovery-from-boot.p file, then permanently flash recovery.

I miss something? lol
    That's also true. I presume that if he took the OTA, he has a stock recovery, and as such would need CWM. So he'll need to use Wug's or fastboot to flash it over.

If he has CWM though, then all he should need to do is flash the new SU.

Global Posts
    676 Global Posts

Yes, I can't flash CMR, presumably because I don't have SU, so it is a chicken/egg thing. So, which is faster, just walking through the rooting steps on Wug's, or using Wug's to flash CMR and then flashing the updated SU file? (assuming I can get Wug's to download).
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #74  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Yes, I can't flash CMR, presumably because I don't have SU, so it is a chicken/egg thing. So, which is faster, just walking through the rooting steps on Wug's, or using Wug's to flash CMR and then flashing the updated SU file? (assuming I can get Wug's to download).
    All you would need to do for the latter is flash (via fastboot) the CWM image, reboot into recovery via the bootloader, and then flash SU. And you don't risk anything going haywire with Wug's in the rooting process.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

As DMM said, all you need to flash CWR is to be unlocked. Fastboot flash it or have wugs do it for you. Once in CWR flash the su404 zip i linked above. Then you'll be rooted and can delete the recovery-from-boot file and have CWR flashed permanently.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast