Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

Default Re: [GUIDE] Don't Panic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Nex

Can you root and flash to a GN using WiFi only? I want to start learning how to do this. I don't want to buy a new/replacement phone. Verizon is still charging $625!! So I thought I might pick up a cheap GN on ebay with a bad ESN. I have fast internet/wifi at home so I'd use this as a learning device. If I screw it up... not much lost. And hopefully this works and can jump on new Nexus next year. Thanks.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #127  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Honestly, I have no idea. I presume you would not have a SIM card? I mean in theory, sure, but I have no idea how big if a roadblock that would be.

Sent from Oliver, my Nuclear-Powered, Orb-Shaped Candy Device.
    Thanked by:
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

you defintely could use a de-activated phone as a wifi only decive before sims, havent done so now that we have lte sim cards so i'm also not sure. i would guess that you can, it might bug you to activate tho every time you turn it on.

* INCREDIBLE * MECHA * TORO * GROUPER * GALAXY S3 *
    * [TORO RADIOS] * [NEXUS WALLS] * [GROUPER GUIDE] * [CHATTER] *
    Thanked by:

You can most definitely do this. You'll want to prevent the battery drain, connection attempts, and failed authorizations that come with not having an LTE SIM. Simply turn off LTE (it's under the mobile network type; you want "CDMA Only"). This setting should persist through a power cycle, meaning you don't have to reset it each time the device boots up. Now, taking this one step further to a WiFi only device wouldn't be hard. Simply turn off mobile data networks, or, if available, a "None" option under the 'mobile network type' setting.

Just a side note for those using custom ROMs: this is the reason that the LTE toggles in the notifications bar will usually not reset when the phone boots (at least they haven't in my experience). They change the mobile network type, which is a persistent system setting.

Edit: there is also a way to prevent the automatic activation service from getting in your way, but I'll have to look around a bit to find it.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Running the latest Bugles

Is there a way to mess with the kernel that comes with the Rom you've flashed? I'm guessing set cpu or something like that? Or the Franco app if your running a Franco kernel? Or I guess that's why there's a variety of kernels to choose from?

Sent From My Brain To Yours
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #131  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Some roms will have performance controls, that'll let you do just that.
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

I haven't used setcpu since francos app. Also, jb flies at stock values anyway, on my device at least.

* INCREDIBLE * MECHA * TORO * GROUPER * GALAXY S3 *
    * [TORO RADIOS] * [NEXUS WALLS] * [GROUPER GUIDE] * [CHATTER] *

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    JELLY BEAN!

This is utterly amazing. Great work!
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #134  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

I added clean & dirty wiping to one of the posts, FYI .
    Thanked by:
    CA1NE 

Default Re: [GUIDE] Don't Panic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Nexus

hi im new to the forums and was wondering if anyone can help me i used the nexus root tool to root my nexus then went into the recovery mode and accidently wiped internal storage and my phone was stuck in recovery i couldnt do anything because it said there was no os on the phone and it eventually died i just got home and tried to turn it on but its just stuck on the google boot screen does anyone know what i need to do to fix it? thanks for the help
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #136  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by drb1089 View Post
    hi im new to the forums and was wondering if anyone can help me i used the nexus root tool to root my nexus then went into the recovery mode and accidently wiped internal storage and my phone was stuck in recovery i couldnt do anything because it said there was no os on the phone and it eventually died i just got home and tried to turn it on but its just stuck on the google boot screen does anyone know what i need to do to fix it? thanks for the help
    Use your toolkit and take it back to stock. That'll fix it .

i tried that but after it downloads it said i need to enable usb debugging and my phone stays in bootloader...thank you for your help btw

ok so it goes through the download everything passes until it gets to flashing stock a message pops up saying fastboot device was not found
    Last edited by drb1089; 09-17-2012 at 06:41 PM.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #138  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

i tried that but after it downloads it said i need to enable usb debugging and my phone stays in bootloader...thank you for your help btw

ok so it goes through the download everything passes until it gets to flashing stock a message pops up saying fastboot device was not found
    Do the fastboot drivers manually. That's all you really need to take it back to stock. But anyway, install the fastboot drivers manually with the toolkit then follow my guide for returning it to stock. It'll work .
    Thanked by:

its still not working i tried to install the drivers manually but my device is not showing up in device manager
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #140  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

its still not working i tried to install the drivers manually but my device is not showing up in device manager
    Are you in fastboot mode/bootloader?
    Thanked by:

ok i figured out the problem...my usb cable was bent so it wasnt connecting but i bent it back i got it back to stock and im about to flash bamf 2.3 at least now i know what not to do lol thanks a lot for your help
    dmmarck likes this.

Any way to go around being rooted? And how do I get my file in my SD card so that I can get to it from the bootloader recovery menu ... I have wipe cache, wipe data, and update. On update I have 2 choice but neither have my downloaded jb rom. As a matter of fact they don't have anything on them...
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #143  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by montanarayson View Post
    Any way to go around being rooted? And how do I get my file in my SD card so that I can get to it from the bootloader recovery menu ... I have wipe cache, wipe data, and update. On update I have 2 choice but neither have my downloaded jb rom. As a matter of fact they don't have anything on them...
    (1) You need to flash a custom recovery. Don't believe you did that? If so, which one?

(2) You can unroot--just get rid of the app and disallow access. That's all it is. Access. Nothing more nothing less.

(3) You can download to your phone directly or transfer from the computer.

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

I flashed 4.2 before updating cwm, now I have a whole bunch of /0 folders. How can I get rid of these folders? I have wiped everything and was told to format data. I have deleted the multiple /0 folders but it seems they are mirroring each other and I have lost everything once already.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This is because of the new multi-user features built into 4.2. You need to use the latest versions of TWRP or CW recoveries when flashing 4.2 ROMs to avoid this. I've heard that getting rid of the /0 folders is a real PITA too.

Good luck.

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    This is because of the new multi-user features built into 4.2. You need to use the latest versions of TWRP or CW recoveries when flashing 4.2 ROMs to avoid this. I've heard that getting rid of the /0 folders is a real PITA too.

Good luck.
    Cwm is updated but I just don't have one /0 folder, I have about six /0 folders. I understand one but why multiple?

Not sure. I installed TWRP before I flashed 4.2 for the first time (CWM wasn't updated yet). Since then I've flashed multiple 4.2 MMuzzy and Euroshank ROMs and only have on /0 folder. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #148  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post

Good luck.
    I will confirm this is the case as soon as TWRP is done nandroiding .

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

Keep us posted. I got rid of the multiple /0 folders and they haven't come back.

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #150  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by greyhd View Post
    Keep us posted. I got rid of the multiple /0 folders and they haven't come back.

I don't see any /0 folders.

Also, if you're using Jelly Bro--make sure to change your network under Mobile Data to LTE/CDMA.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast